HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
CVS has done at least one other old bank conversion in NYC: https://goo.gl/maps/WJEhAt3XM6JPuRQH6

There might also be one in Brooklyn, but can't remember where I saw it.
The one in SF I posted a picture of on the previous page or pages was actually a bank before CVS located there as well but it was a modern bank (East-West Bank).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 3:45 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 8:16 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
fingers crossed for broadway and foster, arguably one of the worst offenders given its transit rich location
When I lived in Chicago, that location was an ethnic grocery store with parking still. All CVS did was rebuild the main building. But maybe that area can now support a full block building of retail shops with residential above. Unfortunately for Chicago, some of those retail developments have been crappy - like the Clark street/Belmont corner. Yes, they replaced a parking lot but they built right up to the street with a solid wall with no setback. The retail building one block south of Belmont/Clark (at the intersection of Clark and Broadway) is just as awful.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 11:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

wont many of these closing cvs sites just become rite aids or walgreens or the like mega drugstores? just wondering about the closing locations and leases. seems like an opportunity for competitors.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
wont many of these closing cvs sites just become rite aids or walgreens or the like mega drugstores? just wondering about the closing locations and leases. seems like an opportunity for competitors.
my guess is no - we have too many stores including pharma/drug stores. Their era of rapid expansion is over. In South Florida, there seems to be either a Wag or CVS within a few blocks of each other. Some cities may get more stand alone urgent care clinics however. Or Wag/CVS may close smaller stores and relocate to spaces where they can expand their instore clinics.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 7:28 AM

Quote:
They will become something. Like I posted a few days ago, most of them are rented. CVS or Walgreen's doesn't own the real estate. If they don't become other brands of pharmacy, they'll become a discount shoe store or a hardware or something (marijuana dispensary?) . If you can turn a bank into a pharmacy, you can turn a pharmacy into almost anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
my guess is no - we have too many stores including pharma/drug stores. Their era of rapid expansion is over. In South Florida, there seems to be either a Wag or CVS within a few blocks of each other. Some cities may get more stand alone urgent care clinics however. Or Wag/CVS may close smaller stores and relocate to spaces where they can expand their instore clinics.
Increasingly in downtown areas these stores are carrying food and functioning like corner markets in that respect. Corner markets are called that because there's one on (almost) every corner. What will likely be put out of business is not Walgreen's or CVS but independently owned bodegas and corner markets.

But you are right about the in-store clinics and I've already said I think that's what they are doing: Closing locations they deem unsuitable for those. But eventually they may well open new stores that are suitable and start expanding again.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 2:28 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I have never liked CVS, they are hugely expensive on most all of their products.
Agreed. Their markup is ridiculous. A jar of Aveeno moisturizer that I can get at Walmart or Target for $13 runs close to $18-20 at CVS. CVS & Walgreens are nothing more than overpriced convenience stores masquerading as neighborhood grocery stores that happen to have a pharmacy. And in some cases, they replace actual grocery stores and supermarkets which previously occupied the same address.

Overall, I've never bought anything from CVS in recent years unless (a) I absolutely needed something, or (b) they gave me money. For several months, I took advantage of the $2 they kept emailing me, which I used to buy two bottles of seltzer water and nothing else. Their 40% off coupons are worthless because they already mark up many items by 40%.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 2:37 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
Agreed. Their markup is ridiculous. A jar of Aveeno moisturizer that I can get at Walmart or Target for $13 runs close to $18-20 at CVS. CVS & Walgreens are nothing more than overpriced convenience stores masquerading as neighborhood grocery stores that happen to have a pharmacy. And in some cases, they replace actual grocery stores and supermarkets which previously occupied the same address.

Overall, I've never bought anything from CVS in recent years unless (a) I absolutely needed something, or (b) they gave me money. For several months, I took advantage of the $2 they kept emailing me, which I used to buy two bottles of seltzer water and nothing else. Their 40% off coupons are worthless because they already mark up many items by 40%.
agreed. as i said above we have the bank bldg cvs right across the street, but still we almost always go down the block to duane reade/walgreens.

partly out of habit as we have been going there previous to cvs opening, but also because its somewhat cheaper.

cvs is outrageous prices.

also our cvs is all self checkout, which can be annoying when its busy and people fumble around with that.

you would think it would be cheaper with self checkout and presumably less employees, but that is a joke.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:47 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
agreed. as i said above we have the bank bldg cvs right across the street, but still we almost always go down the block to duane reade/walgreens.

partly out of habit as we have been going there previous to cvs opening, but also because its somewhat cheaper.

cvs is outrageous prices.

also our cvs is all self checkout, which can be annoying when its busy and people fumble around with that.

you would think it would be cheaper with self checkout and presumably less employees, but that is a joke.
Which is your local CVS? I do recall that the one at 2nd Ave and 72nd St was nearly all self-checkout, with a single line for a cashier. With that said, CVS stores (and other big pharmacies) have long operated with limited cashiers, even before self-checkout machines.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Which is your local CVS? I do recall that the one at 2nd Ave and 72nd St was nearly all self-checkout, with a single line for a cashier. With that said, CVS stores (and other big pharmacies) have long operated with limited cashiers, even before self-checkout machines.
I think almost all of CVS stores in NYC are like this now. I stopped in a CVS this morning and it was mostly self-checkout. OTOH, I don't think I've ever seen self-checkout in a NYC Walgreens/Duane Reade.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 6:44 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
our local cvs is the bank cvs as pictured above.

i didnt know that about cvs because i dont shop in them.

i have not seen that in any other drug stores, but i only shop at duane reade/walgreens, or semi-mom and pops like raj's, bigelow (america's oldest drug store), grove, or quirky hudson square by my spouse's office.

but you would think that would lead to lower prices instead of higher.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 8:08 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I think almost all of CVS stores in NYC are like this now. I stopped in a CVS this morning and it was mostly self-checkout. OTOH, I don't think I've ever seen self-checkout in a NYC Walgreens/Duane Reade.
Quote:
our local cvs is the bank cvs as pictured above.

i didnt know that about cvs because i dont shop in them.

i have not seen that in any other drug stores, but i only shop at duane reade/walgreens, or semi-mom and pops like raj's, bigelow (america's oldest drug store), grove, or quirky hudson square by my spouse's office.

but you would think that would lead to lower prices instead of higher.
Yeah, I noticed that Walgreens and Duane Reade don't have any self-checkout lines. They're a bit old-fashioned in that regard. I usually prefer self-checkout because I often buy only a few items from these places.

In regards to prices, CVS is just a convenience store for me. I won't buy an item there unless they pay me to or I absolutely need it. Not everything is overpriced at CVS, but enough items are. So I go elsewhere.

I also regard local Manhattan supermarkets like Morton Williams and Gristedes as convenience stores as well. They're prices are a bit out of whack compared with supermarkets elsewhere. For example, Morton Williams is the only place that I've ever seen that charged for romaine lettuce by the lb, and not by the head. Ludicrous. To get saner pricing, you'd need to do the bulk of your weekly or bi-weekly grocery runs elsewhere (often at Costco, for me).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

speaking of duane reade/walgreens -- there is one in an old movie theater on steinway in astoria.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:54 PM

In regards to cvs, you need to time the coupons. I get a 40% off coupon weekly and use that to buy my 70 or 90 count Allegra. $45 becomes $27. I also get 30% off entire purchase coupons often. Using these, I save a ton there. We have many cvs is downtown LA and they are all the urban stores with no parking. Very convenient and clean too

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 6:27 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
speaking of duane reade/walgreens -- there is one in an old movie theater on steinway in astoria.

Man that's savage.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 7:29 PM

Wow, finally a thread where I can talk about how I *hate* checking out at Walgreens. How does it take so long every single time????

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 8:12 PM
BANNED

Those San Francisco CVS locations look similar to Downtown San Diego locations.

https://goo.gl/maps/gjBxVvRq7ucsXvhb8
https://goo.gl/maps/48emperBKpnPZxwA9
https://goo.gl/maps/gwwiEar157g7HooN7

This CVS location is in a new residential tower, it's not in the older google street view image yet.
https://goo.gl/maps/XqQTmVdBmzENExiC7

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 8:29 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
Wow, finally a thread where I can talk about how I *hate* checking out at Walgreens. How does it take so long every single time????
This.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 8:38 PM

If you people all hate Walgreen's and CVS so much, just shop elsewhere. I find the CVS across the street terribly convenient and the prices are reasonable if you get on their "rewards" program and get a constant stream of 20% off coupons emailed to you (plus a lot of their merchandise is regularly on sale).

Oh, and while I personally am not a fan of self-checkout unless it's for just one or two items, my CVS and most of them now, has it. In San Francisco, the main reason I'm not a fan is they are required by law to charge for bags and so they don't put bags out at the self-checkout equipment (because people would just take one and NOT pay the $.10 the city mandates be charged). You have to get the attention of clerk and ask for a bag and that makes the process as slow as just checking out with a clerk.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions