HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 8:41 PM

Database enhancement suggestion

wasn't sure where this would be appropriate to bring up, but figured this was the best forum.

it would be really freaking nifty if an additional key/parameter could be added to the diagrams database for neighborhood/district/borough. would be super cool to be able to easily pull up all buildings in brooklyn, or buckhead, or houston's medical center, etc etc.

just a thought. i'd be willing to volunteer to help modify the database/php if resources are an issue, since dylan and the staff are probably already busy dealing with forum database issues.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 8:17 AM

I believe there was a mention about something similar to this idea some years ago.

As far as I know, nothing have happened since then, unfortunately.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 12:15 AM

I proposed something like this but with states, the biggest countries have states divisions, like Argentina,Usa,Brazil, i wanted it for all countries, but they said that implementing that would take a lot of space in the servers or something like that

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 8:34 PM
Illustrator

I looked for a way to do this in Argentina: I put the name of the neighborhood after the street address (for the moment, only in Buenos Aires and Vicente López). In this way, when you type the name of the neighborhood in the Diagram Search Form (in the building name box), all the buildings in that neighborhood appear. The only problem may arise if there is a building that bears the name of a different neighborhood to which it belongs, or of a street that coincides with a neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 9:27 PM
Ukrainian moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_Parca View Post
I proposed something like this but with states, the biggest countries have states divisions, like Argentina,Usa,Brazil, i wanted it for all countries, but they said that implementing that would take a lot of space in the servers or something like that
in past time there was already divisions of almost all countries, but Dylan have turned them off, he said because of high loading of database. So don't dream about neighborhoods.
Emporis had urban districts, boroughs, neighborhoods, complexes and what? it crushed completely

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 10:56 PM
Website Manager

The way to do this would be to use the existing latitude, longitude location for a building. If we had the boundary for a neighbourhood or borough, then there's a calculation that can be done to find all building that are within that boundary. The website isn't able to accommodate this kind of search though, and getting the proper boundaries would take a lot of work to. I'm not keen on adding an extra data field for this either, as that could create a form of duplicate data and not an ideal way to implement a solution.

For now the suggestion that Quilmeño89 has, editors putting the neighbourhood name into the address field, is the best thing to do. Then a neighbourhood/borough can be searched on using the Building Name field of the diagrams search form (along with the City field).

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 8:31 AM
them bones

I've wondered about this possibility as well, but I am also wondering if there is a way to search by architect? I know we don't have them all in the database, but it would be amazing to be able to do so.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams