HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Next 10 years is bold. The goal is the current Vancouver modal split.
City wide in the City of Vancouver, transit gets 17% usage. Across the Metro Vancouver region, it's 12%. There are some shining stars in there for example, transit captures 44% of commuters to downtown Vancouver, and 41% of the residents of Kitsilano going to work.

30% for Edmonton is extremely optimistic. They need to get transit travel time near comparable to driving and even then people just like being in their own vehicles.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
City wide in the City of Vancouver, transit gets 17% usage. Across the Metro Vancouver region, it's 12%. There are some shining stars in there for example, transit captures 44% of commuters to downtown Vancouver, and 41% of the residents of Kitsilano going to work.

30% for Edmonton is extremely optimistic. They need to get transit travel time near comparable to driving and even then people just like being in their own vehicles.
Yup whoops I saw the transit and walk/bike labels and saw them reversed.

That's why I thought it was so bold. The cost of living and parking ease (cost, access) just really doesn't force the hand for the majority of the Edmonton area to use transit. I really can't wait to see post-census and Valley Line LRT #'s but 10 years is too unrealistic.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 4:26 AM
Community Guy

Back for the weekend and night #1 of bikes, super loud cars/trucks and general inconsiderates.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 6:11 AM

^ Absolutely brutal tonight.

Almost makes me miss the snow...and I have bike.

Here's to another 7 months to this

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 1:39 PM
Community Guy

While not an 'urban issue' per se, it is likely most negatively impacting central communities
---

Councillor Scott McKeen will bring a motion to council today that urges Mayor Don Iveson to lobby the federal government to "recognize the overdose crisis as a national public health emergency," plus "fund and accommodate a safe supply pilot program, or programs, in Edmonton."

http://scottmckeen.ca/an-sos-to-otta...eid=b81cde227f

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 2:43 PM

Motorcyclist here with a little 250 and stock exhaust. Also agree especially when it's past 10. I live a km from the Henday and can hear things clearly.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 7:36 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 7:12 PM

An old link from 2015
Edmonton still doesn't seem to get it: Nobody comes for the parking

https://web.archive.org/web/20150603...r-the-parking/

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
An old link from 2015
Edmonton still doesn't seem to get it: Nobody comes for the parking

https://web.archive.org/web/20150603...r-the-parking/
to be completely accurate, both the headline and the article say "nobody comes for the parking" but if you actually read it the conclusion it says that nobody comes for free parking. which is a very different thing.

parking - and ease of access to and from it - for both vehicles and pedestrians is still a necessity. nobody goes anywhere for the parking but the lack of parking - along with a lack of other convenient transportation options - can and will certainly keep people from coming.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 8:19 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
to be completely accurate, both the headline and the article say "nobody comes for the parking" but if you actually read it the conclusion it says that nobody comes for free parking. which is a very different thing.

parking - and ease of access to and from it - for both vehicles and pedestrians is still a necessity. nobody goes anywhere for the parking but the lack of parking - along with a lack of other convenient transportation options - can and will certainly keep people from coming.
Downtown has a plethora of pay parking options (surface lot, above ground parkade and underground parkade), but 'free' options, not so much.

Offering free parking in general is unsustainable from a supply issue (people parking in stalls for hours on end) and cost issue (developers/property owners bearing the cost to construct 'free' stalls, which is then passed on through other costs).

I do like providing the first hour free for city street parking during weekdays and free parking all weekend and evenings.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 8:21 PM
Community Guy

Bingo.

Efficient, predictable and diverse means of getting to and from is key.

That said, we continue to face a disproportionate amount of our population who prefer not coming to Central (Whyte/Downtown) for a variety of reasons and perceived or real costs and complexity is often the number one barrier.

A variety of places to go to, explore and many great neighbourhoods is important, but we need to continue to provide more reasons and thereby access to drive in versus out or around.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 2:25 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton will become the first Canadian city to welcome back Lime scooters in 2021, reports Global News. The company plans to relaunch 100 e-scooters on Wednesday afternoon. Edmontonians took nearly 500,000 trips with Lime last year.
https://edmonton.taproot.news

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Bingo.

Efficient, predictable and diverse means of getting to and from is key.

That said, we continue to face a disproportionate amount of our population who prefer not coming to Central (Whyte/Downtown) for a variety of reasons and perceived or real costs and complexity is often the number one barrier.

A variety of places to go to, explore and many great neighbourhoods is important, but we need to continue to provide more reasons and thereby access to drive in versus out or around.
Part of the problem is there are only a few "Whyte Avenues" in Edmonton. Not everyone needs to congregate at 1 Whyte Avenue. In support of City Plan goal to create "15-minute communities", I would prefer every community have its own mini-Whyte instead of everyone needing to go to the only Whyte Avenue.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 6:09 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Part of the problem is there are only a few "Whyte Avenues" in Edmonton. Not everyone needs to congregate at 1 Whyte Avenue. In support of City Plan goal to create "15-minute communities", I would prefer every community have its own mini-Whyte instead of everyone needing to go to the only Whyte Avenue.
At least we are working on that - 124th Street, 118th Avenue, 95th Street (mini), 97th Street Chinatown, 112 Avenue Highlands (mini), 107th Avenue...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
At least we are working on that - 124th Street, 118th Avenue, 95th Street (mini), 97th Street Chinatown, 112 Avenue Highlands (mini), 107th Avenue...
Yep. All good progress. Also add 111 Avenue through Norwood.

The most important step to making these true main streets will be to transfer space from cars to people. This is something that requires ongoing and constant work.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 9:42 PM
Community Guy

If only we better correlated where we shop & how we shop, with what shops, experiences and value is derived or produced.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 3:52 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 3:33 PM
Community Guy

More of this Edmonton.

my own

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:40 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 2:09 PM
Community Guy

It was nice to see some of Downtown done as of this weekend and good to see it ramping up, but it still amazes me that we can remove snow in 72hrs, but that it takes 6-10 weeks for this. One of the single largest issues for pedestrians, bus riders, bike couriers and the use and enjoyment of patios or even shopping on main streets is dirt, grime, dust.

---

Spring street sweeping begins today
April 6, 2021

Annual citywide street sweeping begins today, April 6. The City reminds Edmontonians to help do their part by removing their vehicles and providing our crews plenty of room to work.

News media are invited to join Andrew Grant, General Supervisor for Infrastructure Field Operations, for details on the City’s street sweeping work.

Photo Opportunity: There will be a street cleaning vehicle on hand for photos.

Date: Tuesday, April 6
Time: 10 a.m.

PLEASE NOTE: This is an active work site with large mobile equipment. Media are asked to use caution when entering. High visibility traffic vests are mandatory on site and posted yard speed is 10 km/h. Park in designated visitor parking and walk within yellow, pedestrian lines. We will be ensuring all public health guidelines are followed. Please wear a mask or face covering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton