HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
^^^^^^

lose that “moth to flame effect”? you mean the one where all the moths die?

there is no question that there are problems downtown - and elsewhere for that matter - but that problem isn’t increased density elsewhere.

it’s closed streets and sidewalks, insufficient policing, an insufficient social safety net, pilot public housing policy by three levels of government and some rather strange priorities when it comes to spending and civic pride.
I agree as well.

I have been working out of my downtown office this whole Pandemic. I have seen a slow increase in the numbers of office workers. However the homeless issue is very real but not exclusive to YEG. I am seeing reports from most cities that have new homeless camps.

We are going to see more issues , I work occasionally serving meals at a facility in the Alberta Ave area. As we start up food service again with the new pandemic rules we were informed that at least 4 other services are not reopening. this is going to create more issues on the streets. With the GoA reducing funding for mental health services, drug addiction services (Yes there was a reduction). we are going to see more on the street and in the valley this year.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 6:15 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I agree as well.

I have been working out of my downtown office this whole Pandemic. I have seen a slow increase in the numbers of office workers. However the homeless issue is very real but not exclusive to YEG. I am seeing reports from most cities that have new homeless camps.

We are going to see more issues , I work occasionally serving meals at a facility in the Alberta Ave area. As we start up food service again with the new pandemic rules we were informed that at least 4 other services are not reopening. this is going to create more issues on the streets. With the GoA reducing funding for mental health services, drug addiction services (Yes there was a reduction). we are going to see more on the street and in the valley this year.
This issue was intensifying before COVID and has only amplified since then. And this isn't just in Edmonton. And there are multiple stories in all other major cities.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...lic-parks.html

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:23 PM
Community Guy

Reference ID: Job No 373010411-002
Description: To add a Child Care Services Use (50 children with 10 adults) to the third floor of an existing Public Libraries and Cultural Exhibits building (Reference: Development Permit number 189109947-001). (Stanley A. Milner Library)
Plan 4390NY Blk E
Applicant: EDMONTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
Create Date: 9/16/2020 9:38:31 AM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:45 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market in 2020
If you build it, they will come.
BY ANITA JENKINS
---

Dieter Kuhlmann has been extensively involved with the Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market for many years. His business, Kuhlmann’s Greenhouse Garden Market, has been a major vendor at the market since the 1970s, and he is currently serving as the market’s board chair.

When Boyle McCauley News gives him a call, Kuhlmann turns off his tractor to tell us, “We’re here for the long haul. I predict a bright future for the market. It will come.” He says the other vendors are also optimistic and excited to see what the future holds. “On the whole,” he says, “we are receiving a lot of positive feedback.”

“Food is a big thing,” Kuhlmann says, adding that interest in local food “is currently a very strong movement.” He says people like to know and trust the people from whom they get their food.

Kuhlmann says The Quarters district, with active support from the City, is slowly becoming a place to visit, as well as a place to live. He notices that not everyone is driving to the market, even though there is ample free parking (1000 free stalls when the market is open on Saturdays and Sundays). Quite a few are walking in from nearby residences.

https://bmcnews.org/story/edmonton-d...market-in-2020

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:50 PM
Community Guy

Among others, great to see the Oliver pool saved. It is well used in the summer and provides an important activity/exercise and community node for the many apartment dwellers.

The rink should have been removed though and for those who do not remember, that was 'part of the idea' for the community rink at Rogers.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 3:51 AM
Community Guy

The lights at the Leg are worth the time and provide such a nice backdrop for those of us who live across the street or across the region.

We went tonight in the snow and it was truly magical.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The lights at the Leg are worth the time and provide such a nice backdrop for those of us who live across the street or across the region.

We went tonight in the snow and it was truly magical.
If you have a car the Snow Valley light display is quite good as well. Then drive out to Stoney Plain and see the Griswald house. (the whole crescent is lit up).

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 9:26 PM
Community Guy

Have your say about fitness/wellness/community for Oliver and Oliver Park.

https://engaged.edmonton.ca/reimagineoliverwellness

Ideas:

A multi-level community hub/League Hall with programmable, publicly-accessible, well-designed gathering spaces. Additional ideas for the community hub can include: fitness, studio and meeting spaces; Edmonton Public Library Programming space; a green roof that could offer additional green space and could serve as a community garden; a patio/deck with an all-season gas firepit and bathroom access to encourage year-around passive recreation; a partnership-based cafe/vending to benefit community gathering. The building would replace the Oliver Arena as the designated shelter for the nearby Oliver School.

The Oliver park playground could benefit from updated design and natural elements.

A landscaped seating area could facilitate community gathering and intergenerational, multipurpose, year-around use.

In case of pool closure, an outdoor skating rink could replace the Oliver Outdoor Pool.

Alternatively, to increase ecology in the area, the space could be converted to naturalized open space.

Additional landscaping elements such as trees and shrubs could enhance ecology.

A heated gazebo could encourage multi-year use.

The SE corner could remain as green space to accommodate pop-up events and community celebration use. Can also be programmable for outdoor fitness activities.

Maintained and lit paved walkways with disability access throughout the park would ensure equitable access

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 3:31 PM
Community Guy

Green and Walkable Cost Share Agreement approved by council's executive committee
Tuesday, January 19, 2021
By Emily Rendell-Watson
Edmonton city council's executive committee has approved a recommendation to reimburse the developers of the Ice District for their portion of "Green and Walkable" expenses for upgrades to downtown Edmonton. The approval went through without debate.

The Green and Walkable Downtown project includes "improvements to downtown streets that will make (it) more accessible, easier to navigate and more pleasant for pedestrians." Improvements are set to take place over the next 15 to 20 years.

According to the report presented to the committee, the "total cost of the sidewalk infrastructure and amenities being constructed on city land is estimated at more than $6 million."

Following a review by city administration, it was determined that $2.895 million of the total costs are considered enhancements which would qualify as "Green and Walkable" sidewalk infrastructure and amenities which "go beyond minimum standards, and ... offer amenity value to the public." The funds to reimburse EAD Property Holdings (102) Corp. are expected to come from the downtown community revitalization levy (CRL).

https://edmonton.taproot.news/news/2...eid=b81cde227f

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Green and Walkable Cost Share Agreement approved by council's executive committee
Tuesday, January 19, 2021
By Emily Rendell-Watson
Edmonton city council's executive committee has approved a recommendation to reimburse the developers of the Ice District for their portion of "Green and Walkable" expenses for upgrades to downtown Edmonton. The approval went through without debate.

The Green and Walkable Downtown project includes "improvements to downtown streets that will make (it) more accessible, easier to navigate and more pleasant for pedestrians." Improvements are set to take place over the next 15 to 20 years.

According to the report presented to the committee, the "total cost of the sidewalk infrastructure and amenities being constructed on city land is estimated at more than $6 million."

Following a review by city administration, it was determined that $2.895 million of the total costs are considered enhancements which would qualify as "Green and Walkable" sidewalk infrastructure and amenities which "go beyond minimum standards, and ... offer amenity value to the public." The funds to reimburse EAD Property Holdings (102) Corp. are expected to come from the downtown community revitalization levy (CRL).

https://edmonton.taproot.news/news/2...eid=b81cde227f
Who knew that new sidewalks would save downtown? If only we'd known that sooner.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 8:50 PM
Community Guy

This always frustrates me...

We have immense public and private development across the street with the hopes of changing our image and drawing millions of people Downtown and yet turn a blind eye to half a block of this across the street.

Mine

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 9:57 PM

That sidewalk has been like that since the '90s.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
That sidewalk has been like that since the '90s.
In Edmonton, does the property owner have any obligation to maintain sidewalks? Just curious.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 12:05 AM
Community Guy

To keep them clear of snow, debris and the like yes, otherwise no... unless you are Enbridge Centre on RHW. They took responsibility over and upgraded it and are responsible for all maintenance.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:35 AM
Community Guy

Hawrelak rehabilitation - public engagement

https://engaged.edmonton.ca/hawrelakpark

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:47 AM

Quote:
unless you are Enbridge Centre on RHW. They took responsibility over and upgraded it and are responsible for all maintenance.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was a requirement of obtaining municipal approvals. Cities are offloading traditional responsibilities so they can instead pursue more lofty social goals.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:48 AM
Community Guy

It was developer lead... and the other 3/4 of RHW rehabilitation is planned to be a toned down match.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Hawrelak rehabilitation - public engagement

https://engaged.edmonton.ca/hawrelakpark
Signing onto Engaged Edmonton is a monumental pain in the ass so I'll just post here instead. Anyway, I'm glad they're opening up the park to riverfront activity. I want to see docks for the riverboat, water taxis and other aquatic vehicles. A beach would be ideal but not a showstopper by any stretch of the imagination.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 4:26 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:00 PM
Community Guy

IDEA is putting on a webinar on infill and infrastructure on Feb 17.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/infill-i...m-term=listing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton