HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 8:59 PM

Something interesting happened when I went upstairs to go take a nap yesterday. I lie down and then see this on the ceiling.

I'm like, is that my car being projected from the driveway up through my window and onto the ceiling? Yup!

I tried to re-create the projection after opening and then closing my curtains, but couldn't get it to look as clear as the original.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Something interesting happened when I went upstairs to go take a nap yesterday. I lie down and then see this on the ceiling.

I'm like, is that my car being projected from the driveway up through my window and onto the ceiling? Yup!

I tried to re-create the projection after opening and then closing my curtains, but couldn't get it to look as clear as the original.

Camera obscura effect!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 10:50 PM

Ah cool! So that's what's going on.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 6:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I am well aware that pickup trucks are a legitimate necessity for contractors, landscapers, day laborers, and anyone else whose job is dependent upon hauling around loose freight in the cab from site to site. But the majority of pickup truck owners don’t use their pickups for any of that shit. They just like driving a truck around and blasting Lady Antebellum out of the window. They want all the cushiness of an SUV while pretending they’re longshoremen. They’re fucking poseurs.

America’s boner for pickups goes back years. Politicians use them to make themselves relatable to all the faux hardscrabble cave people living out in the sticks. Ads for them litter every NFL broadcast. Half are all country music songs feature some guy with a painted goatee chirping about how his truck is more loyal than his woman. Pickup trucks are a fucking DISEASE among these people, and they’re representative of rednecks’ aggressive need to destroy the world just to make their dicks look bigger. Pickup trucks get shit mileage. They don’t fit regulation in parking spaces. They have front blind spots that are INCREDIBLY dangerous to any kid or dog that dares step in front of one.

And they’re only getting worse. Every year, Ford and Chevy unveil an updated model of pickup that’s taller, shinier, and more openly belligerent. These are trucks designed with the priority of displaying your NRA back window decal as prominently as is possible. They serve no other purpose other than to make dickheads feel better about themselves. They are AR-15s in car form.

I have driven a pickup truck before. It’s fun as shit to sit up there and lord over the road. But it’s not worth getting my jollies off just to toodle around in a vehicle designed to intimidate other cars on the road for no good reason. If you drive a pickup truck, but you don’t use it the way it was intended, you’re a gaping asshole and everyone knows it. They should require a special license for you to drive one, and you better be a fucking certified bricklayer to qualify.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/akwn...-magary-funbag

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 6:28 PM

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 6:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
needs a four tonne vehicle to haul his sorry lard ass.

Last edited by MolsonExport; May 7, 2021 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 9:44 PM

"Unite Alberta". He definitely hasn't done that, he can't even unite his own party, who hate him more than those who didn't vote for him.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 10:51 PM
recession proof

If you're intimidated by a Chevy Heavy Duty (some of the hottest girls I've seen drive these) you're welcome to buy a Santa Cruz: https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/com...022-santa-cruz

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 12:09 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Source

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 12:28 AM

^^^ Ya those trucks look like those outrageous mattresses with the thick extra pillow tops.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 1:15 AM
The Vomit Bag.

'round these parts, gals driving mega pickup trucks are on the tubby side with pasty skin. Tats too. They practically live on Rim Whoreton's triple-triples. To each his own.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 1:20 AM

Our dude bros with those kind of trucks are all welders, electricians or carpenters. Independent contractors who love snowmobiling.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 6:18 AM

Anyone thinking of picking up an Etron GT? The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't seem to have the body colour front "grille" available in Canada. Shame. Looks a lot worse in black or grey.

The Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo on the other hand looks great and the base model looks to be a good value proposition.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Good description of pick up trucks and their buyers. To me unless you are a contractor, construction worker or farmer there isn't a point. They look difficult to park and are unwieldy in the City. Fugly is a good word for them.

My B-I-L is in car sales for one of the domestic manufacturers in the Golden Horseshoe and trucks outsell cars at his dealership. He has tried to justify it to me but the rationale is lost on me. For him, myself as an owner of 2 cars one a RAV4 and a 5 speed German sedan that are 7 and 10 years old respectively, we are a lost cause and he flat out told me 'you would hate a pickup truck'.

This article from 2013 should get Molson riled up
https://ew.com/article/2013/10/18/br...trucks-lyrics/

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Anyone thinking of picking up an Etron GT? The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't seem to have the body colour front "grille" available in Canada. Shame. Looks a lot worse in black or grey.

The Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo on the other hand looks great and the base model looks to be a good value proposition.
Not in my pocket money range, but I think the Etron GT is way sexier than the Taycan Cross Turismo from any angle but the front.

That said, I like what Porsche is doing with their interiors more.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post

They start at $120k, and with Porsche there's no way you can get away without adding at least 10% to the base price in options - and that’s being frugal. It is a nice car but value and Porsche are mutually exclusive. Love my 911 that I bought used, but their new car pricing is just stupid. And the dealers’ service rates add to the obscenity. Do basic wrenching myself and use an indy for the next level stuff.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 6:33 PM

At least with an EV you won't be taking it to the Porsche dealer for $500 oil changes.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
At least with an EV you won't be taking it to the Porsche dealer for $500 oil changes.
LOL. I wouldn't put it past certain brands to make over the air updates fee based.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 2:34 AM

Quote:
'round these parts, gals driving mega pickup trucks are on the tubby side with pasty skin. Tats too. They practically live on Rim Whoreton's triple-triples. To each his own.
It may not be as awful as the modern ones but behold, the Chevy SSR. Perhaps the most ridiculous looking truck ever designed.

dailydrive

It looks like some sort of shocked chipmunk

Mecum Auctions

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
They start at $120k, and with Porsche there's no way you can get away without adding at least 10% to the base price in options - and that’s being frugal. It is a nice car but value and Porsche are mutually exclusive. Love my 911 that I bought used, but their new car pricing is just stupid. And the dealers’ service rates add to the obscenity. Do basic wrenching myself and use an indy for the next level stuff.
Around 146 with a pretty decent loadout. The 4S isn't bad value either, its actually only ~3k more expensive with the same options.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada