HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
If anything I'd say it's worse now, thanks to this absolute stupidity:

2009: https://goo.gl/maps/o7GJCcAcXPWPRX6G9
2018: https://goo.gl/maps/rKL2bkVRQJPJSCP59
What is this? The 1960s? Will they throw in some surface parking to replace those buildings too? Craziness, they bulldozed half the downtown!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
There's not much in Trenton, really, especially considering Belleville is a stone's throw away and better for just about anything someone might be looking for. Trenton's got that small town urban area but with large sprawl in all directions.

I actually like Belleville's main street downtown quite a bit but it needs way more residents and local businesses to feel fuller and denser. It suffers the same issue that every other small town and city faces in this country which is the historic downtown has been replaced by power centres near the highway. It would be really nice if they could get density on both sides of the river. They're selling condos in Belleville and the prices are....not cheap.
i was there from 1992 - 1994. I hated Belleville, but it was an interesting place town-wise, it had some charm. I think there was still a Woolco or something like that in the downtown when I moved there but then closed down. I spent the two half summers living in Kingston the other half I came home to BC. In the school year, we would go to Kingston quite a bit to go to the one gay bar there and some various events. I did get to see some bits of Prince Edward county but not very much, it seems to have become a hot spot many years after I lived there. I often see write-ups about the county area in Canadian House & Home magazine.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 3:20 PM
ハルウララ

Don't get me wrong - Belleville is not that great. There are a ton of smaller towns and places nearby that are more interesting IMO, but it is a sort of regional hub for a lot of different things, and odds are good that you'll end up there eventually for something. It's probably the perfect distance between the furthest GTA sprawl (Oshawa) and Kingston, as well as a good distance away from Peterborough. Will be interesting to see what happens to this area in the next 10-20 years.

Belleville has benefitted from the nearby wine country in Prince Edward, that's for sure.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada