HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I haven't seen any recent activity at this site, but at some point in the last couple months the webpage for this hotel has been updated to say that the hotel is opening in Summer 2025, which would be consistent with construction starting this year.
I've seen ongoing utility work around the site dating back to late summer. It's not uncommon for this to start prior to demolition or excavation depending on the public works scope of the development. Fingers crossed we see demolition soon!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 9:13 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Demolition under way

Today I was at 24 Hour Fitness across from this proposed hotel site. It seems obvious that they are setting up to demolish the bunker warehouse to make way for the hotel. Does anyone have any other news to confirm that?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Today I was at 24 Hour Fitness across from this proposed hotel site. It seems obvious that they are setting up to demolish the bunker warehouse to make way for the hotel. Does anyone have any other news to confirm that?
I had assumed this one was dead. Looks like demo permit is under inspection in Portland Maps. Permit was issued over a year ago. Construction permit is approved to issue.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 1:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
It’s been like that for awhile. I don’t think anything is happening. Probably about to be canceled

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 8:47 PM

I just walked by this am and saw the same. The entire site is fenced and there are two excavators on site. Looks like go time to me. Very excited about this one.

Their website claims a summer 2025 opening.
https://www.properhotel.com/portland/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
It’s been like that for awhile. I don’t think anything is happening. Probably about to be canceled
Why do you make so many uninformed comments?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 3:16 AM

Confirming that demo has started ... and almost finished. The structure is almost entirely gone already.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossalorder View Post
Confirming that demo has started ... and almost finished. The structure is almost entirely gone already.
Crazy, it hadn't even begun demolition just a few weeks ago when I went past.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 8:43 PM

The site looks strange. It looks like they either sandblasted the existing concrete slab or else poured a new layer of concrete on it. Why would you do either one if you're going to start digging? I find it hard to believe they're going to build a 9-story building on top of a foundation for a single-story brick warehouse from a 100 years ago...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
The site looks strange. It looks like they either sandblasted the existing concrete slab or else poured a new layer of concrete on it. Why would you do either one if you're going to start digging? I find it hard to believe they're going to build a 9-story building on top of a foundation for a single-story brick warehouse from a 100 years ago...
I haven't been by the site for a couple weeks, but I think we need to be patient. What was demolished was NOT a century-old brick warehouse but instead was a hideous tilt-up concrete warehouse from the 1960's or 70's built over a slab on grade. I bet before long we will see demolition of the slab and excavation for what likely will be below-grade parking for hotel guests.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 10:00 PM

I haven't been by the site this week, but I did just download the drawings from the demolition permit. The permit only covers demolition down to the slab, with below grade work to be part of the separate excavation and shoring permit. I wouldn't be surprised if contractor wanted to keep the slab in place as a working pad while the shoring is being installed.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 12:50 AM

It’s definitely demo’d down the existing slab. The striping from the parking garage is just faintly visible.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Totally agree. The slab is really clean for a tear out. Would be nice if they built a food cart/beer garden of some sort for the summer. Can't imagine they're in a huge hurry to start construction.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
It’s definitely demo’d down the existing slab. The striping from the parking garage is just faintly visible.
But why is it only faintly visible? There should be decades of oil stains on that concrete in addition to the striping. That garage floor was not that clean when I parked there 20 years ago. Why would they go to the trouble of cleaning/stripping/sandblasting/polishing the foundation?

I'm not asking because I'm annoyed that it's not moving faster. I'm asking because I don't understand why they would clean that slab.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 12:00 AM

I noticed the permit history for this project, along with many others on PortlandMaps, have basically been wiped clean (Ex. The Josephine, Sandy Pine, Great Scott Trio, Albina One, etc. etc.) Is there any reason for this? Perhaps wiped by mistake?

Further, proposals/staff reports and pre-application conferences now go to a generic home page on the gov site, and Land Use Decisions appear to have stopped being updated. Is there some sort of revamp? Just curious, as I try to stay up to date from time to time on the progress of the permitting process for these larger projects.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 2:11 AM

Portland Maps doesn’t seem to be displaying permits that are set up with a different address than the property currently has… which is a bit of a problem, given that addresses usually change during permitting.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 7:08 PM

I'm guessing this project is stalled out for a bit. They just added a new chain link fence around the site, bolted into the old concrete slab and remainder walls. Access to the sidewalks have been restored. I doubt they would do that if the next round of demo was imminent.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 2:10 AM

I’ve no idea what’s happening with this project, but I walked by the site and there was what looked to be a new electrical vault installed on Irving with a trench running back to the power pole midblock on 13th.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 8:46 PM

Quote:
I’ve no idea what’s happening with this project, but I walked by the site and there was what looked to be a new electrical vault installed on Irving with a trench running back to the power pole midblock on 13th.
There is more activity on the site today with a contractor's truck & other vehicles as well as some stacked construction materials on the site. But the underground work activity is out in the street, on NW 13th Avenue in the block north of Irving.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 2:33 AM

Yes, what I saw was all out in the right of way. While I wouldn’t be surprised if this project was dead, I can’t think of a reason that offsite utility work would be happening if it wasn’t moving forward.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland