HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Interestingly, Lower Merion has stayed very Democratic. There might be a bit of a drift to the right, but the most conservative precinct in the area still voted for Biden by a 2-1 margin, so they don't vote like NYC-area Orthodox.
Lower Merion is the big Jewish township, and although it contains Orthodox Jews, it hasn't seen an erosion or flight of the non-Orthodox component and isn't Orthodox-dominated.

According to this study (page 150), the Lower Merion Jewish community is 13% Orthodox. So it's unlikely they're a majority in any precinct.

https://www.jewishdatabank.org/api/d...Appendices.pdf

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 3:46 PM

Yeah, I don't think Lower Merion is anything like Five Towns or Teaneck. It's maybe like a Livingston. Broadly Jewish, with Conservative and Orthodox. There's an Orthodox enclave, however.

If you go to Five Towns, the postwar Jewish population that typified the area has largely vacated. It's almost entirely Orthodox. The whole area is shut down during the sabbath. I was at a college friend's home over sabbath back in the late 1990's, and even then, Five Towns was just shut down. You couldn't operate a restaurant in Cedarhurst or Lawrence that wasn't certified kosher.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:28 PM

Russian/Eastern European ancestry

Chevy Chase (20815) 8.2%
Bethesda 8.6%
Potomac 8.8%

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:34 PM

Even cities without white ethnics and not particularly big Jewish communities there's often a "Jewish suburb" such as St. Louis Park (Minneapolis) or Mercer Island (Seattle).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 5:19 PM

Massachusetts is the third most Jewish state (after NY/NJ) by percentage and Boston is the most Jewish metro area outside of NYC and Miami/South Florida.

Though interestingly Mass has never had a Jewish governor or senator.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 5:28 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Eh, I'd argue LA.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 5:37 PM

That's why I said by percentage (but forgot to say it twice).

I would say there's 9 "alpha" Jewish centers in NA:

Alpha ++: New York

Alpha +: Los Angeles, Miami/South Florida

Alpha: Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Toronto, Washington

New York needs no further introduction. Los Angeles and South Florida each have more Jews than any nation outside of the US and Israel.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 5:59 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Percentage-wise, I believe Philly is higher than Boston.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
No difference. I just mean the part of the region where the Jewish population is particularly concentrated.

How concentrated the Jewish population is, and how the "Jewish" neighborhoods and suburbs are, varies greatly by city.

At one extreme, San Francisco for instance doesn't seem to really have any specific Jewish concentrations at all. They largely "tail" UMC whites as far as I can tell in their residential patterns.
The Bay Area seems to have a large Jewish population but also one of the most assimilated. No real Jewish enclaves like LA but I think the highest concentration of Jews is around Palo Alto and Berkeley Hills area. Marin too. Basically under the umbrella of affluent liberal Whites.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Coastal OC is surprisingly non-diverse, even today. It feels like the SoCal caricature. Archie Comics or Beach Boys. My cousins attended Corona Del Mar High, and I remember looking at the yearbook, and it seemed half the school was blond Chads and Trixies playing water polo or surfing. Not many Jews, Persians, Asians, Latinos. Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Newport Coast are largely the same. Coastal Huntington Beach and Dana Point are somewhat less extreme costs but still very white. Those two towns have almost a reactionary vibe, like a white enclave in Gulf Florida.

Inland is obviously a totally different story. Irvine schools are overwhelmingly Asian, and the white kids are often Persian. Santa Ana is almost entirely Latino, and even inland Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach are pretty diverse. It's now referred to as Costa Mexico. But I don't see the coast undergoing massive demographic change. Those homes are passed down through generations.

Southern and Coastal OC are very White, central OC is diverse with some Asian ethnoburbs like Irvine, Anaheim is somewhat diverse, Santa Anna is not really diverse, practically all Hispanic.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 7:57 PM

Quote:
The "levelling off" of the Jewish population share is far sharper in L.A. than in NYC.

In the L.A. city/Westside/SFV core, you have a pretty similar levels of Jewish population share to NYC. If L.A. city is say, 8% Jewish that's about a third of the NHW population. The Westside is about 25% Jewish. It's hard to get the number exactly because L.A. County is a patchwork of cities - what constitutes "the core"?

But when you go beyond this, the number drops to pretty "normal American" levels.

Using the Brandeis figures for the suburban counties:

Ventura County 4.8% (11% of NHWs)
Orange County 2.7% (7% of NHWs)
Riverside County 1.4% (4% of NHWs)
San Bernardino County 0.8% (3% of NHWs)
These stats for the Bay Area counties?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 8:00 PM

Quote:
I would agree that the Jewish percentage declines, for the most part, the further away you from NYC. And the same is true for L.A.

But the difference is there's no Jewish enclaves outside of a core area in Westside/SFV L.A., and outside of L.A. County the Jewish percentage is not really that high. While the Jewish percentage is high pretty much throughout the NYC metro area and NJ has some of the most Jewish places in America.
LA's Jewish population is probably in decline, but if I had to guess probably at a slower rate than the overall White population.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I could see Jews driving a lot of future gentrification of the Valley Flats (e.g. Lake Balboa, Reseda, Winnetka) because of the close proximity to community centers, synagogues, Hebrew schools, kosher restaurants, etc. and the fact that there probably already are Jews living in those neighborhoods. The SFV has the potential to be a Nassau or Palm Beach County.

Has there really been that much gentrification in those areas, like Reseda and Canoga Park? It seems Jews and non-Jewish Whites are more likely to move to the far out suburbs than gentrify those areas.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 8:26 PM

The Wikipedia article on Marin County says it's 14% Jewish, but I'm skeptical of that. I'd be surprised if it's more Jewish by percentage than Westchester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marin_...County,_CA.png

Like coastal OC, Marin County is very white and has few Asians. Though the cultures of the two places is radically different.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 9:32 PM

Quote:
The Wikipedia article on Marin County says it's 14% Jewish, but I'm skeptical of that. I'd be surprised if it's more Jewish by percentage than Westchester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marin_...County,_CA.png

Like coastal OC, Marin County is very white and has few Asians. Though the cultures of the two places is radically different.
Yeah, Marin and Coastal OC might have similar wealth, desirability, home prices, education, and racial breakdown, but they're essentially polar opposites. Coastal OC is kinda like South Florida, with tons of bling and surgeries and even the modest income people trying to impress, Marin is like a hippie Connecticut, all outdoorsy and people embarrassed to flaunt.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
The Bay Area seems to have a large Jewish population but also one of the most assimilated. No real Jewish enclaves like LA but I think the highest concentration of Jews is around Palo Alto and Berkeley Hills area. Marin too. Basically under the umbrella of affluent liberal Whites.
L.A. wasn't that big in the 19th century and only about 2,500 Jews live there in 1900. It was really East European Jews in Boyle Heights and Hollywood that set the tone.

San Francisco was a big German Jewish center in the 19th century, not a big center for Yiddish-speaking East European immigrants. But AFAIK no postwar Jewish districts or suburbs developed. Most of the Jewish population now would be transplants (or a generation removed from "back east" at least) and unlike in L.A. and Miami, Jews didn't form or move into Jewish enclaves.

Last edited by Docere; Jun 3, 2023 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 10:21 PM

Jewish population of San Francisco was 16,000 ca. 1880 and 35,000 ca. 1930. Obviously there was some East European immigration, but the Jewish growth was modest in SF compared to most other cities, where East European Jews dwarfed the existing population (Jewish population increased by 10 or 20 times in many cities). Pre-WWII SF was probably a pretty even split between the older German and East European immigrant elements.

East European Jews lived in the Fillmore district:

https://jweekly.com/2009/07/10/jews-...h-neighborhoo/

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 10:51 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
LA's Jewish population is probably in decline, but if I had to guess probably at a slower rate than the overall White population.
Except it's not.

The community study found that the area served by the Jewish Federation of Greater LA saw a 9% increase in the Jewish population since 1997.

Jewish children and young adults ages 18-24 (27% of the Jewish population) outnumber those 65 and older (21% of the Jewish population). Among Jewish adults, 7% are Orthodox (9% U.S. national average, which is likely skewed by NY/NJ). Modern Orthodox families average 2.5 children, while Chabad and Haredi at least 5 children. There are also urban Jewish enclaves (Fairfax, Mid-City West, Hancock Park, Pico-Robertson, parts of Beverlywood) where Orthodox Jews can walk to synagogues on Shabbat.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 11:02 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Has there really been that much gentrification in those areas, like Reseda and Canoga Park?
While the prices for single-family houses have risen everywhere in recent years, including the Valley, I don't see signs of any notable "gentrification" of communities like Reseda. And while parts of Canoga Park, especially nearest to Warner Center, have built some dense new housing, I wouldn't really characterize it as gentrification so much as just 'development.' With that said, Canoga Park seems the wealthier of the two areas, with fewer apartment buildings in the overall mix and newer single-family homes. But that wouldn't be new. It's been that way for a while.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 11:08 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Has there really been that much gentrification in those areas, like Reseda and Canoga Park? It seems Jews and non-Jewish Whites are more likely to move to the far out suburbs than gentrify those areas.
Jews are more likely to gentrify areas that are in LA. Lake Balboa, Reseda, and Winnetka are proximate to Jewish enclaves and WASPs don't dominate among whites in those areas.

Think about a young couple who grew up and still have parents living in the Valley Hills but can't quite afford to buy a home there themselves.

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions