HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 11:34 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm not saying it's southern in the 'biscuits and gravy' sense but southern in that it is in the southern half of the US, in an area that most wouldn't consider to be a traditional hockey market even though it is close to mountains where winter sports are popular.

If SLC didn't have a NBA team I think it would be a strong contender, but given that it already supports a team that fills the arena and plays over the winter, I'm not sure what advantage it has over a larger market.
Hey if Columbus can go from "we can't give enough tickets away" to solid fanbase in a couple of decades, surely a city known for "outdoor winter activities"/embracing winter like SLC can be a success. This is one of the rare former Olympic host cities to finish with a "budgetary surplus" in contrast to the countless billions wasted by host cities today. Mormons know how to run a business.

I have a feeling the wealthy Mormons and other Utahans (roughly 60/40 split in Utah) would fully embrace NHL.

I guess I'm bullish on SLC like others were to "take a gamble" on Vegas

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
leaving phoenix because they couldn't get an arena deal to arrive in salt lake where they will start trying to beg taxpayers for an arena deal is a risky proposition...it's not like slat lake is a huge desirable market worth taking a risk on....
They probably have to have some sort of guarantee for a new arena before making the deal to relocate there. The owner is a billionaire, so it's possible he could fund part of it while trying to get other investors - if the Olympic bid fails.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
SLC's CSA is 3 times the population of Winnipeg's Metro 2.7M vs ~900k and is a cold weather city.
Salt Lake County alone has grown by almost 500k since 1990.
It's an unproven hockey market and much of that 2.7 million won't be available to buy tickets to weekday games given the incredible driving distance from north to south. They would also be competing directly with the city's NBA team for revenues at the same time. Another strike against the city.

If the NHL actually decided to go to SLC it just proves they aren't thinking long-term. The city is almost certainly an environmental time bomb in the next 20 years.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:22 AM

I have mixed opinions about SLC.

On paper it does seem like a good location. The SLC metro itself is only ~1.3M, but the vast majority of settled areas in the state are close enough that they make up the Wasatch Front CSA, which bumps it up to ~2.7M. Household incomes are also good, and the climate lends to a traditional hockey market set against a very picturesque backdrop. The ECHL Grizzlies draw alright numbers in suburban SLC, average attendance is in the high 6000s to low 7000s.

However, competing with the more established Jazz in a relatively small market is going to be an obstacle. Their home attendance is quite solid as it is, so any hypothetical new team is going to have to put a fantastic product on the ice or they will fail. Vivint is also less than ideal in hockey configuration. This is looking likely to get fixed if the current Jazz owner is looking to upgrade the arena for the Olympics, but it takes time. The first few seasons are crucial for establishing the team and if things suck right off the bat, it is going to take more and more effort every year to undo the damage.

Utah/SLC is also actively putting feelers out for MLB expansion at this point in time. I don't see the MLB expanding until the Oakland/Vegas and Tampa situations are under control, but the NHL absolutely has to move into SLC before MLB expansion gathers steam if that is their goal. Baseball would work infinitely better in SLC simultaneously with basketball, given the different playing seasons so there is not as much attendance cannibalization risk.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 4:22 AM

I want Quebec to get a team back. They need a better name though. The Nordiques though? I mean in the US you are north but in Canada you are Florida.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 4:27 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I want Quebec to get a team back. They need a better name though. The Nordiques though? I mean in the US you are north but in Canada you are Florida.
You sound stoned, sir.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:07 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Better logo. The name would be just fine.

That said, and I hate to think it, but Quebec is just one of a long list of unrequited loves of the NHL.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 3:58 AM

The governor of Connecticut is now pitching Hartford as a relocation destination for the Coyotes. He will be meeting with Bettman to discuss.

This is straight up really unlikely to work given that the Whalers originally moved in part due to not being able to reach a new arena deal (the same arena is still there and nothing has changed), among failing attendance and minimal corporate support. There would need to be a brand new arena at the very least.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 5:00 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
SLC's CSA is 3 times the population of Winnipeg's Metro 2.7M vs ~900k and is a cold weather city.
Salt Lake County alone has grown by almost 500k since 1990.
And Phoenix is twice as big as SLC. Houston is bigger still.

You can’t just compare population numbers. A Canadian city like Winnipeg and Quebec may be small but they are unquestionably hockey markets. If you are going to a place that isn’t a hockey market there is far less risk if your city is huge. You only have to convert a small percentage of people into fans. Going to a city that isn’t large (1.3million) and also not a hockey market, you are banking on converting a big percentage of people. It’s a much bigger risk.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 3:17 AM

Larger cities have what counts, more people and more business. The NHL doesn't care about the average Joe who goes to a handle full of games a year. They care about the companies that purchase suites or blocks of season tickets.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 11:23 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Larger cities have what counts, more people and more business. The NHL doesn't care about the average Joe who goes to a handle full of games a year. They care about the companies that purchase suites or blocks of season tickets.
Except when they don't. As is the case in Phoenix.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 12:05 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
It's more odd because it's pretty much this one franchise that's the bane of the NHL.

Other teams had their struggles and they get moved. The Thrashers didn't thrash about in Atlanta for years beyond when it was apparent it wouldn't work locally.

What's about this particular market that makes it so desirable?
They want to try Atlanta a third time believe it or not. It is being considered in the future after Houston.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 12:24 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
They want to try Atlanta a third time believe it or not. It is being considered in the future after Houston.
It will probably work a third time, assuming the right ownership and the new arena district in Alpharetta goes ahead. The north of Altanta is where the Braves moved and they are drawing very well up there compared to Turner Field.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 2:02 PM

^ Atlanta?! Hockey fans in Houston must be taking this as personally as the ones in Quebec. They are in literally one of the largest media markets in the USA. What more do they have to do to get the NHL's attention?

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 2:10 PM

Houston issue is the potential owner's interest is very lukewarm and he's not willing to spend what bidders on the Senators are right now. That's why SLC is leading right now as the Jazz owner is very committed to winning this.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 2:15 PM

Yeah, Houston would already have a team right now if there was someone interested in buying a team (expansion or relocation). There's no one for hockey fans in Houston to be angry at.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 2:21 PM

I am surprised I have not heard Alouettes owner Peledeau speak since the Tempe vote if he will have Quebecor pursue the team.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I am surprised I have not heard Alouettes owner Peledeau speak since the Tempe vote if he will have Quebecor pursue the team.
He's probably been told by the NHL that the only hope Quebecor has to obtain a team is if they follow Winnipeg's example and stay completely quiet. League probably doesn't want a bid from him drawing attention to the fact the League will ignore QC again.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 3:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
He's probably been told by the NHL that the only hope Quebecor has to obtain a team is if they follow Winnipeg's example and stay completely quiet. League probably doesn't want a bid from him drawing attention to the fact the League will ignore QC again.
If Peladeau is being told to keep his trap shut and just play along, what he is really being told is "we know you're there, and we'll keep you in mind, and, if you are a good boy, and we have absolutely no other alternative, we promise to give you a relocating team."

The key point here is "if we have absolutely no other alternative." Truth is there are many bilionaires in the US who are eager to own a major league sports franchise, and a number of cities down there (Houston, Salt Lake City, Portland, San Diego, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Hartford) capable of hosting a team. Hell will freeze over before QC gets a team. Either that, or the NHL grows to 48 teams first.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 8:07 PM

Hartford Coyotes?

Could the Whalers return to Hartford? It's a distinct possibility, according to Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont.

Lamont recently confirmed to Dennis House of WTNH News 8 that an ownership group is prepared to purchase the Arizona Coyotes and move them to Hartford.

"Right now, the Coyotes don't have a place to play on a permanent basis, so they're looking around, trying to find options, and Connecticut is definitely on the radar screen, Lamont said. "It's a hockey center here. We love hockey. We have the national champions here. And the fact that the Rangers and the Bruins are nearby is a good thing because it means we have a lot of hockey interest."

The XL Center, where the Whalers previously played, will undergo $80M in upgrades after the passing of a recent bill. Lamont admitted that more would be needed to house an NHL squad but ensured that if the Coyotes come, the arena will receive more upgrades.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada