HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 5:50 PM

I moved some discussion from the Downtown thread to this thread. I might not have done otherwise, but I've heard from multiple people that the JBPM is actively looking for an existing building to move into. They hired a new Executive Director last year, so it does like the project is alive again. I really hope so; it would be a huge boost for the Central City if it does happen.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 7:08 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I moved some discussion from the Downtown thread to this thread. I might not have done otherwise, but I've heard from multiple people that the JBPM is actively looking for an existing building to move into. They hired a new Executive Director last year, so it does like the project is alive again. I really hope so; it would be a huge boost for the Central City if it does happen.
I really hope the bus terminal building becomes their landing spot because that would be such a great anchor to add to that part of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I really hope the bus terminal building becomes their landing spot because that would be such a great anchor to add to that part of downtown.
I agree that the bus structure is best suited, but I feel that a market in the downtown core (south of Burnside) is needed to help enliven the moribund city center. It could be a 24 hr market district.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 9:14 PM

There’s a great building down in the South Waterfront they could utilize to turn into a public market……

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
I agree that the bus structure is best suited, but I feel that a market in the downtown core (south of Burnside) is needed to help enliven the moribund city center. It could be a 24 hr market district.
Exactly, for this to be successful it oughta be located right downtown. The bus station and south waterfront just aren’t convenient for DT workers, hotel guests, people going to shows, restaurants etc. This project would give people outside the city a reason to visit, and it would create the foot traffic DT desperately needs. The other locations, while nice in their own ways, don’t really need this catalyst, especially south waterfront.

If DT was thriving on its own at the moment, then we’d have the luxury of looking at other locations, but in the remote work era we have to grab onto opportunities like this to increase foot traffic and revive the city.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 11:32 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Exactly, for this to be successful it oughta be located right downtown. The bus station and south waterfront just aren’t convenient for DT workers, hotel guests, people going to shows, restaurants etc. This project would give people outside the city a reason to visit, and it would create the foot traffic DT desperately needs. The other locations, while nice in their own ways, don’t really need this catalyst, especially south waterfront.

If DT was thriving on its own at the moment, then we’d have the luxury of looking at other locations, but in the remote work era we have to grab onto opportunities like this to increase foot traffic and revive the city.
How about the City-owned 3rd & Alder parking garage? It is closed now. I have walked around in it, and could even imagine it as housing, because the floors have a gentle slope, with spiraling ramps in the middle.

Or how about this? Public market stalls on the ground/lower floors and housing on upper floors? Remove the central spiraling ramps to bring light and air to the middle as well as exterior exposure for operable windows of apartments facing the middle? Exiting seems good with stair and elevator towers at all four corners.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
How about the City-owned 3rd & Alder parking garage? It is closed now. I have walked around in it, and could even imagine it as housing, because the floors have a gentle slope, with spiraling ramps in the middle.

Or how about this? Public market stalls on the ground/lower floors and housing on upper floors? Remove the central spiraling ramps to bring light and air to the middle as well as exterior exposure for operable windows of apartments facing the middle? Exiting seems good with stair and elevator towers at all four corners.
Great idea.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
Great idea.
I have sent a more detailed suggestion for the garage as a public market and affordable housing to Mayor Wheeler and the commissioners. Others on this site should also do so. I could not find any contact information at the James Beard Public Market website so that I could pitch the proposal directly to them.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 6:27 PM

Quote:
I have sent a more detailed suggestion for the garage as a public market and affordable housing to Mayor Wheeler and the commissioners. Others on this site should also do so. I could not find any contact information at the James Beard Public Market website so that I could pitch the proposal directly to them.
You could DM them on Facebook, I reckon, or email info@jamesbeardmarket.com?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizflip View Post
You could DM them on Facebook, I reckon, or email info@jamesbeardmarket.com?
Thanks! I don't use Facebook so I emailed to that address.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 1:44 AM

Quote:

This would be great. You oughta run for mayor😅 We need more vision like this. As much as I would love to see a waterfront location, this is perfectly located - a part of town that needs revival but is centrally located so there’s a guarantee a lot of people nearby. Plus much needed housing right downtown. How amazing would it be to see that nasty garage become a a thriving market, right on the max line.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 2:07 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
This would be great. You oughta run for mayor😅 We need more vision like this. As much as I would love to see a waterfront location, this is perfectly located - a part of town that needs revival but is centrally located so there’s a guarantee a lot of people nearby. Plus much needed housing right downtown. How amazing would it be to see that nasty garage become a a thriving market, right on the max line.
Absolutely, enthusiastically. It's right on the MAX line, it's right in a flow of foot traffic that used to be incredibly active, and it could serve as a catalyst for positive change for that whole area.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I don't use Facebook so I emailed to that address.
I suggest others who support this idea contact the city commissioner and Prosper Portland regarding this. I think the James Beard group is not very active but I may be wrong.

Although I didn't mention the parking garage location specifically, I wrote Rubio, Ryan, and Prosper Portland with the following. Quick note, I entered a few phrases into ChatGPT and this is the result. I was impressed.

Enhancing Downtown Vitality: The Importance of a Public Market

Dear Prosper Portland Commissioners,

I am writing to share our vision for revitalizing downtown and the pivotal role a public market can play in enlivening our city center.*

A public market serves as more than just a place to buy and sell goods; it's a vibrant hub of activity that fosters community connection and economic growth. By establishing a public market downtown, we have the opportunity to create a dynamic market district that offers a diverse range of experiences for residents and visitors alike.

Here are some key reasons why the creation of a public market and accompanying market district is essential:

Economic Stimulus: A public market attracts foot traffic, supporting local businesses and entrepreneurs. By providing a platform for small boutiques, independent craftspeople, and service providers, we can stimulate economic activity and foster a thriving entrepreneurial ecosystem.

Cultural Hub: A market district celebrates the cultural diversity of our community by showcasing a variety of cuisines, crafts, and traditions. It becomes a place where people can come together to experience different cultures, share stories, and celebrate our collective heritage.

Community Gathering Space: Beyond commerce, a public market serves as a social hub where people can gather, connect, and build relationships. By incorporating event spaces and communal areas, we can create opportunities for community events, performances, and gatherings that bring people together.

Urban Renewal: Investing in a public market and market district can catalyze urban renewal efforts, breathing new life into underutilized areas of downtown. By activating vacant spaces and attracting visitors, we can contribute to the overall revitalization and beautification of our city center.

Tourism Draw: A vibrant market district becomes a destination in its own right, attracting tourists and enhancing the overall visitor experience. It showcases the unique character and offerings of our city, drawing visitors from near and far to explore, shop, dine, and immerse themselves in our local culture.

In addition to the public market itself, the creation of a market district that includes carts, restaurants, boutiques, housing, and event space amplifies the impact and appeal of the initiative. It creates a comprehensive destination that offers something for everyone, whether they're seeking fresh produce, artisanal goods, cultural experiences, or simply a place to gather and connect.

By investing in a public market and market district, we have the opportunity to transform downtown into a vibrant, thriving, and inclusive destination that reflects the spirit and vitality of our community.

Thank you for considering our proposal. We look forward to further discussions on how we can work together to make this vision a reality and enhance the vibrancy of our city center.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland