HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I totally agree with you Michael. I really hope they strip that crap off and place windows in.

The finished product belongs in a 90's suburban office plaza.
Or Waco.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
Oh, no need to worry about that. I'm sure there are graffiti sprayers out there getting ready to pounce. This foundation has already been tagged, they covered with black, visible on the cam here.
I'd fully support this ridiculous monolith if they actually allowed the gray panels to be covered in graffiti...

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Or Waco.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:34 PM

Looks like the last crane is coming down today. I'm kinda curious how they're gonna do it. I may need to go down and watch.

edit: they installed a smaller crane on the roof to lower sections of the main crane down.

Last edited by corvairkeith; Jun 2, 2018 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 12:09 AM

Hmmm, Third + Shoal doesn't look that bad from there, up, in that pic.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 1:05 PM

Looks like a New York investment firm will have 8,000 Sq feet on the top floor.

http://www.nreionline.com/office/ex-...ffice-tax-move

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 3:22 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

My interpretation of the article...

"Oh boohoo, we are filthy rich men, but taxes in the state of New York are so high, we want to keep as much of our many millions as we can because we don't want to pay our fair share for public services."

People like that make me sick...

Rant over, moving along.......

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
My interpretation of the article...

"Oh boohoo, we are filthy rich men, but taxes in the state of New York are so high, we want to keep as much of our many millions as we can because we don't want to pay our fair share for public services."

People like that make me sick...

Rant over, moving along.......
I'm guessing we'll see more and more tax refugees as the ramifications of the tax re-write are understood. East and West coasts especially. I can't fault them for doing it. It's a huge and drastic change in federal tax liability. From being able to write off state/property taxes/interest to now paying twice on the same? No thank you. Be honest, we'd likely all do the same...just need to get rich first!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:54 PM

Today

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:25 AM

I would suggest another nickname -- since they are clustered so close together, they are almost like a single entity, so just make a name out of the 3 towers:

Facebook
Google
Proper

So something like Profago or Gofapro. Prooglebook? I'll let someone else explore the others

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:44 AM

The more I look at these pictures, the more I think how good this would look if all of the glass were black instead of green.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:06 PM

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:34 AM

So wild. Seaholm neighborhood has changed so much over the years. This is truly the new growth hub for downtown. Bravo!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:38 PM

That area will feel so cohesive and complete once the republic sq. parking lot, ballet studios and state garage are redeveloped. (and of course block 185)

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 2:03 PM

It really is just a matter of time for that garage. I'm completely convinced. There will come a point when someone at City Hall will stop short in the middle of a heavily traveled office hallway, drop a ream of papers to the floor, slap their forehead and say to themselves "That lot is worth more to us if we sell it than if we keep collecting parking fees from it! Egads! It's suddenly so obvious!"

And within 36 months we'll have a shiny new supertall on that parcel.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 2:58 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
It really is just a matter of time for that garage. I'm completely convinced. There will come a point when someone at City Hall will stop short in the middle of a heavily traveled office hallway, drop a ream of papers to the floor, slap their forehead and say to themselves "That lot is worth more to us if we sell it than if we keep collecting parking fees from it! Egads! It's suddenly so obvious!"

And within 36 months we'll have a shiny new supertall on that parcel.
See my theory was that they would eventually realize that the Hobby Building and the state garage both need replacement, but instead choose to consolidate both on one of the two lots, opening the other one for development. That being said, it would probably be easier for them to renovate and place something on top of the garage as opposed to moving both to the Hobby site.

Either way, one of those lots (at that point beside the new Republic project) will likely be empty at some point...and honestly, I wouldn't be mad if the Hobby building block gave way to a supertall...and also was something that complimented the W across the street more than a concrete goverment office building. You think a Ritz-Carlton or an Intercontinental?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:39 PM

Yeah, I think Hobby'll be on the block before long, too. But . . . I bet that process will be more drawn out, just because there'll inevitably be a preservation group that thinks it's worth keeping, and will gum up the process.

On the other hand, there's no constituency anywhere that'll want to save a three story public garage built in the 90's.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:52 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
On the other hand, there's no constituency anywhere that'll want to save a three story public garage built in the 90's.
I wish you were right here...but someone will come out talking about number of spots downtown, prices, traffic, etc. (even though there are a lot of conflicting arguments in that short list alone). Someone will fight that parking garage going away.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I wish you were right here...but someone will come out talking about number of spots downtown, prices, traffic, etc. (even though there are a lot of conflicting arguments in that short list alone). Someone will fight that parking garage going away.
360 owners below the 30th floor will fight that going away... If Third + Shoal 2.0 got built 50 feet from them right in front of their windows, the value would drop $150k for a lot of those condos

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
360 owners below the 30th floor will fight that going away... If Third + Shoal 2.0 got built 50 feet from them right in front of their windows, the value would drop $150k for a lot of those condos
I wouldn't even be mad if the garage got torn down to build a 5-6 story residential or office building with ground floor retail. Anything besides a parking garage would activate that street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin