HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:23 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwinkles View Post

Looks like the top floor. Layout is different from previous floors, it looks like a facade around some mechanical rooms, and that's it.

Yep. That's the mechanical penthouse in the middle where all the workers are standing. The parapet/mechanical screen has the columns poured, and if you look you can see the rebar cage above that going all the way around the perimeter. That will get a concrete pour as well, and then it'll be officially topped out. The glass around the perimeter of that mechanical screen will still rise about another 4 feet above that rebar cage "catwalk".

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Mar 28, 2018 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:32 PM
Meh

The article also includes a set of photos from a building tour.

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourn...-shifting.html
Quote:
Bank of America to get new home in Austin, shifting bulk of services out of Congress Avenue tower

New lease 'will give us the opportunity to combine all of our lines of business under one roof,' BofA exec says

By Marissa Luck – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
3 hours ago

After decades in an iconic spot, Bank of America Corp. plans to shift its downtown Austin digs to Third + Shoal — the 29-story office tower under construction on Third Street — in a move that places it in the center of an emerging tech corridor and potentially opens two major holes on the Congress Avenue office market.

Construction on Third + Shoal is progressing, and contractors plan to top out the towerthis week, said Scott McLaughlin, senior vice president with TIER REIT Inc. Dallas-based TIER REIT is co-developing the tower with Invesco Real Estate and Austin-based Cielo Property Group. The slideshow attached to this story has an inside look at the recent construction.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 9:56 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Lightbulb

How much space is there to go around in this building? More to the point what is the difference in square footage between the BOA and 3rd @ Shoal?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 10:59 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
How much space is there to go around in this building? More to the point what is the difference in square footage between the BOA and 3rd @ Shoal?
The Bank of America Center has 261,000 square feet of usable space. Third + Shoal has 349,000 square feet.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

They show that they have pallets of windows that still need to be installed over the concrete garage. People here should chill.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

Paywall. Can't read. Details please, especially regarding "holes" on Congress Ave.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Paywall. Can't read. Details please, especially regarding "holes" on Congress Ave.
The ABJ doesn't really have a paywall. Just keep hitting the escape key while the page is loading. Same goes for the Statesman.

BOA leaving is the first hole. This is the second "hole" per the article:

Quote:
Bank of America will also move its Merrill Lynch division in Austin into Third + Shoal, leaving 23,000 square feet space at 111 Congress Ave.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Apr 1, 2018 at 9:42 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 1:52 AM

Today.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 2:25 AM

That metal garage siding is really standout-ugly. It could possibly look better if it were lighter gray color to match the horizontal stripes across the glass.
And I still cant wrap my mind around the old Amsterdam-style narrow gap between it and the Proper. What... were... they... thinking?..

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
What... were... they... thinking?..
"We already have a tenant pre-leasing 90% of the building for several years now, so let's do the absolute minimum required and cheapest possible."

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
That metal garage siding is really standout-ugly. It could possibly look better if it were lighter gray color to match the horizontal stripes across the glass.
And I still cant wrap my mind around the old Amsterdam-style narrow gap between it and the Proper. What... were... they... thinking?..
They still have not covered a significant portion of the parking garage. You'll still see the metal on the southwest corner but the way the left half of the west cascade juts out hopefully should take the focus away from the right side. The final building will match the renderings in terms of the glass.

Here is a photo of the glass panels that have not yet been installed and there are a lot more of them:

I'm not saying it's the nicest building in the world but just to be patient.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
That I can do
Still the other part of my rant remains: how did this canyon between the two buildings happen? The office-dwellers may not care all that much, but I can't imagine people paying the Proper prices would love a condo with windows staring at an office building within a paper clip throw. I know I wouldn't - there's plenty of better options nearby.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
They still have not covered a significant portion of the parking garage. You'll still see the metal on the southwest corner but the way the left half of the west cascade juts out hopefully should take the focus away from the right side. The final building will match the renderings in terms of the glass.

Here is a photo of the glass panels that have not yet been installed and there are a lot more of them:

How do you know this glass is for the garage? Why would they put on metal screens first and then glass over?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
That I can do
Still the other part of my rant remains: how did this canyon between the two buildings happen? The office-dwellers may not care all that much, but I can't imagine people paying the Proper prices would love a condo with windows staring at an office building within a paper clip throw. I know I wouldn't - there's plenty of better options nearby.
Most north facing windows in the Proper are actually spandrel. Every floorplan with a northern exposure also has either a west or east facing view so they're basically corner units but don't have "corner" floorplans.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
How do you know this glass is for the garage?
because I read the image captions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Why would they put on metal screens first and then glass over?

The glass is just a aesthetic veneer over the parking structure. You put the outside layer on after the inside. They are probably waiting to install them to decrease the chance of damage or dirt getting on the glass while the rest of the building is in construction.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
because I read the image captions.

The glass is just a aesthetic veneer over the parking structure. You put the outside layer on after the inside. They are probably waiting to install them to decrease the chance of damage or dirt getting on the glass while the rest of the building is in construction.
Hmm. Gensler's own comments in this thread certainly suggest otherwise. They were defending why so much grey panels were used and why the current look differs from the render.

Also, the parking sections that currently have glass did not have the grey metal before the glass was installed. Glass went up at the same time as the grey panels on the northeast section of the parking podium.

Hope you're right though.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chundercracker View Post
Most north facing windows in the Proper are actually spandrel. Every floorplan with a northern exposure also has either a west or east facing view so they're basically corner units but don't have "corner" floorplans.
Thanks for the explanation, this makes sense.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
That I can do
I wondered the same thing and even looked at Proper floorplans to try to get an answer. It is a long dark run between those two buildings for sure, but the units seem to face away from the dark alley in most instances. I am not sure what the other poster meant by spandrel windows. Does that mean they will be translucent rather than transparent? Can somebody post a picture once these windows are installed? The balconies on the front units are angled away from the office building, so I guess that does provide for decent privacy and an unobstructed view for those units. It will be interesting to finally see some pictures taken inside those units adjacent to the office building. This is a very pricey condo product, so I guess they have it figured out.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 1:04 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
A spandrel window is a piece of glass placed over another surface.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:45 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I don't think those windows are for the garage. They still have to finish the upper floors. Going by other buildings in DT where windows were used, including most recently the Google Tower, they incase the garage with windows so you can still see outside. There's no reason to add silver panels then place windows over it. I'm fairly certain what we see is what we are getting. If I'm wrong, I won't mind since I'd prefer to have windows instead of what is there now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin