HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 11:59 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Unhappy

I hope Genral comes back soon. I also find it sad that long time forumers feel like their comments are frowned down on just for stating their criticisms about a project. Architects and developers should be able to take criticism regardless. Doesn't mean that they are not welcome by any means. But nobody should feel like they have no place on this forum whether a newcomer or long time forumer.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 12:14 AM

This is up there with 405 Colorado for the most polarizing design. But with the gray siding out of sight, maybe we can agree that this is a cool building when viewed from the top down. I would love having my office in this building.

https://www.gensleraustinten.com/?li...aItem-jdgip94i

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 12:21 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This is up there with 405 Colorado for the most polarizing design. But with the gray siding out of sight, maybe we can agree that this is a cool building when viewed from the top down. I would love having my office in this building.

https://www.gensleraustinten.com/?li...aItem-jdgip94i
Yes, I like how the step backs incorporated outdoor areas, this is something I would like to see in more office buildings.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 12:28 AM
Meh

IluvATX, I hope you didn't think my reply to yours was too snarky. I certainly didn't mean for it to be.

I hope the Genral comes back. I snapped a photo of 823 Congress the other day (still need to post it) because he had asked for someone to. That is one blue building. It looks like an easter egg.

I'm glad someone from Gensler is posting here. It's great having the ability to ask them questions, and I love that they've taken notice of our interest. I'm really very glad that they take time to listen to our opinions. Of course, people need to be respectful of each other and also realize that stuff sometimes comes across the wrong way when it's only written. But, I'll also say that having a sense of humor about stuff really goes a long way. I mean, we all love the subject of urban development, and I think sometimes making a fun jab at something isn't really a bad thing. And I've discovered that buildings that I always thought were nice or even ok were hated by others, and then found someone else who also liked them. That's just how it goes with architecture.

As for Third + Shoal, it's not my favorite, but it's far from my least favorite. I'll reserve final judgment until it's complete, but I'm not minding it too much. I suspect I'll like it more once the glass is up on the west side. There were other buildings that I was really excited about based on the renderings and then was mostly let down. Some that went from being what I thought would become at least one of my favorite buildings to becoming very, very average on my list of faves. That's why I've learned to be patient. Third + Shoal's site is a tricky one. They had a lot of things working against them with that site. The density there is nuts, too, to the point of making it not make a whole lot of sense to design a facade with a lot of detail since so much of it will be hidden anyway. And the space constraints and small lot made it necessary to have a tower that was mostly just a box, but it still had to conform to the setback requirements.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 11:44 AM

I agree with you, Kevin.

In my experience over the years it's 50/50 on who likes or dislikes a building here....except 405 Colorado....that can die a slow death and nobody wants that. NOBODY.

I hope any architecture firm lurking or openly posting on here realizes we're a good group of people who really mean well. I actually really love that latest render--Those outdoor spaces make it feel so so cozy.

I'll try and snap some photos from the 38th of 360 soon

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:24 AM

One of the cranes came down yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
One of the cranes came down yesterday.
Crosspost from the general Austin update thread.

Took a timelapse of the Third+Shoal (former Austin Music Hall site getting redeveloped) crane coming apart.

Video Link

It's the shorter crane here:

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:24 PM
Meh

Awesome! I'm glad someone captured it better than I did. I went downtown Friday to get some pictures of the skyline with the fog. The tops of the buildings were hanging out in the fog so I wasn't able to capture them doing it. I took a few pictures and between shots, they had removed pieces of it. I'm surprised they took the crane down with it being so foggy.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Awesome! I'm glad someone captured it better than I did. I went downtown Friday to get some pictures of the skyline with the fog. The tops of the buildings were hanging out in the fog so I wasn't able to capture them doing it. I took a few pictures and between shots, they had removed pieces of it. I'm surprised they took the crane down with it being so foggy.
It seemed pretty crazy to do, but I guess when you have things like street closures planned (3rd street and Nueces were shut down while they carted these pieces overhead) then you have to go ahead and do it. They are professionals who have done it before (one hopes). It went off without a hitch as far as I could tell, they've been removing parts of the crane tower all day Saturday.

Been fun to watch since it's basically happening across the street from our living room.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:00 PM
Meh

^That makes sense. Honestly, the visibility probably wasn't that bad for them since most of the work is done near the workers if that makes sense. They just stay in radio contact to give directions to the crane operator. The visibility issues are between the ground and the top of the building. The crane operator may even a pre-programmed setting for how far the boom can swing out before it gets to close to neighboring buildings.

Awesome pics, by the way. That's a neat view of 500 West 2nd. I have to admit, that building is growing on me the more I look at it.

Also, I was reviewing the elevations for this again, and the ground level elevation is 470 feet above sea level. The number we went with to get the 387 foot height was the 468 foot L1 Alley elevation - the space between 3rd & Shoal and Austin Proper, but if you look at the elevations, that line doesn't actually sit on the ground. There are 4 doors in the building that lead out into the alley. That line cuts through the lower half of them. The elevations note the two foot height difference between the 470 foot level and the 468 foot one, and the lowest level on the alley seems to be another 2 feet lower than that. So the true elevation of the alley appears to be 466 feet above sea level. If you go with that number then it makes the overall height of the building 2 feet taller - for a total of 389 feet 4 inches tall.

It looks like they're on the 29th floor working on the columns for it. The main roof isn't done yet. The 29th floor is at 353 feet 10 inches. The main roof is at 369 feet 4 inches and the roof of the mechanical penthouse is at 389 feet 4 inches.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 9:23 PM
Meh

Third+Shoal looks good here.

That state garage across the street from 360 has got to go. Also, I wish the lowrise apartments under those capitol view corridors could have had green roofs over their garages. That was such a huge missed opportunity.

https://www.facebook.com/independent...type=3&theater

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 10:41 PM

Re: the state garage — does anyone know how much of it is dedicated to the chiller facility? And would it have to stay as part of a potential redevelopment?

I agree with you, Kevin — that garage is now officially a target.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Re: the state garage — does anyone know how much of it is dedicated to the chiller facility? And would it have to stay as part of a potential redevelopment?

I agree with you, Kevin — that garage is now officially a target.
How is it official?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 12:50 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
How is it official?
Well it's officially a target for removal by this forum at least. Now whether or not it's a target for actual potential redevelopment is another question, but it sure would be nice to see it go.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
How is it official?
Because it was so decided at the last meeting of the SSP round table.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 12:52 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 2:23 AM

Quote:
I was looking at it on Google Maps the other day and was wondering how much of the existing parking garage could be torn down without affecting the district cooling plant (chilled water) on the southeast corner.

See Here

Emporis shows that construction on the garage started July 1994, the district cooling plant wasn't added until about 6 years later.

Downtown Coolin' Plant Chillin' Like Paul Robbins -
Who's Paul Robbins, and what's a cooling plant?

Quote:
Robbins began calling for a Downtown cooling plant in the mid-1990s. Aided by fellow civic-minded greens Shudde Fath, Scott Johnson, Andrew Donoho, and AE's Roger Duncan, he was able to advance the concept through the city's Electric Utility Commission and to City Council, which, following a feasibility study, agreed to build the plant in 2000 -- originally intending it to cool the state Hobby office building, the new City Hall, and the Computer Sciences Corp. complex.
Also, there was a plan to expand the district cooling plant see here - page 3 and 4

I'm just wondering about the rest of the garage though. That whole block is not in a Capitol View Corridor, either.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 3:42 AM

Quote:
So say we all.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 5:13 PM

Third & Shoal is getting close to it's finished height. The renderings show two "step backs", away from Shoal Creek, as it reaches it's finished height. The second of those is now plainly visible. Looks like three more pours and we'll have a roof on this thing.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
So say we all.
I wonder how the federal courthouse will play into that development though, considering the garage is state owned. Perhaps they'll be limited a bit by what they could do, but that's only a guess.

Of course I'd love to see a larger civil and criminal courthouse built there still. But those are never terribly efficient designs when it comes to saving space...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin