HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 10:37 AM

Cool AUSTIN | The Otis & AC Hotels | 144 FEET | 11 FLOORS | COMPLETE

Splitting this one into its own thread. With all the fast-food restaurants on this stretch of MLK the area is so alluring for redevelopment.

Two new hotels to add 1,000 rooms to Austin market

Quote:
Near the UT campus, White Lodging said it will build an 11-story, 347-room hotel that will be the first dual-branded hotel in Austin to feature the Autograph Collection and AC by Marriott brands. Construction is to start next summer on the project at 1901 San Antonio St., with an opening date in early 2019. Each hotel brand in the project will have its own lobby and entrance, but will share some services, such as housekeeping.

Adjacent to UT, the Autograph Collection hotel White Lodging plans to build will have 191 rooms and more than 6,000 square feet of event and entertainment space. It also will have a street-level restaurant and bar, a walk-up burger bar and a rooftop bar and pool deck with views of UT, the Texas Capitol and the downtown skyline.

Recently introduced to the U.S., the 156-room Austin AC Hotels by Marriott property will be the lifestyle brand’s first to open in Austin. The brand originated in Europe in 2011 as a joint venture with Spanish hotelier Antonio Catalan and currently includes hotels in Spain, Italy, Portugal and France.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 29, 2017 at 3:06 AM. Reason: Added thread icon

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:08 PM
Love Austin

Such great news for this area! All the suburban minded, auto oriented uses up there. When I saw the brand new Hate-fil-a built and designed perfectly for a highway interchange in anywhere USA I teared up a little. Fingers crossed that we'll scrape all the low slung, low-density development along MLK and see them replaced with walkable, sustainable, charming dense development.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Such great news for this area! All the suburban minded, auto oriented uses up there. When I saw the brand new Hate-fil-a built and designed perfectly for a highway interchange in anywhere USA I teared up a little. Fingers crossed that we'll scrape all the low slung, low-density development along MLK and see them replaced with walkable, sustainable, charming dense development.
As a UT student, I'm all for this. As long as the Raising Canes stays put, that's all I ask people. Better yet, incorporate it into a 50 story tower.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:32 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
As a UT student, I'm all for this. As long as the Raising Canes stays put, that's all I ask people. Better yet, incorporate it into a 50 story tower.
Raising Canes is pretty delicious. Don't touch the canes. McDonalds, Chickfila, could care less if they disappear.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 9:29 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Chick-fil-a is so delicious.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 9:56 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
On the topic of the fast food joints in the area, how big do you think this building will be?

Judging from this angle, it certainly doesn't look "wide" enough to expand all the way to Guadalupe, but it seems too wide to only take up the existing McDonald's frontage on MLK.

Assuming it only extends in width to the alley between SA and Guadalupe, that certainly means all or most of the Catholic School would be destroyed, i.e. take the length of the building all the way to 21st. (Likely very worthwhile for the church still on Guadalupe)

It would also leave the motley collection of Domino's, Chase, etc. standing between it and the new business school building...

...which I can't imagine would last too long.

This is a very interesting project!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:35 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I emailed the Catholic school and asked.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:42 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

But just looking at the picture, it looks twice as long as it is wide. That would put it just on the McDonald's lot and not encroach on the school.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 1:17 AM

Look at the "Plans" attachment on the original "MLK Hotel" filing and you will see how this fits on the site:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11545708

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 2:43 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Look at the "Plans" attachment on the original "MLK Hotel" filing and you will see how this fits on the site:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11545708
Thanks

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 6:53 AM

For the record, here's the site plan for the "AC-Autograph Hotel" that was filed on 08/01. There's no building info attached to it yet.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11574861

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 1:12 PM

This is no big update, but seven drilling permits were filed by the same contractor yesterday, and they all appear to be for this project and the Marriott @Cesar Chavez. It's just further evidence that White Lodging gets things done after they announce a project.
On another note, the McDonald's currently on the AC/Autograph site failed their last health inspection. That's unusual for a big chain restaurant from what I've seen. But maybe they just stopped giving a shit after they found out they were being demo'ed.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 8:14 AM

I was told by the employees the McDonald's will close before the year ends.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
I was told by the employees the McDonald's will close before the year ends.
Its always nice to know you are losing your job during the holidays. Time to sharpen their resumes. Despite their loss of quality employment, this hotel will look nicer sitting on top of that soon to be former grease pit. That being said, so ends a little more funky in the campus area at the hands of progress. While I like this improvement and building, I still hate to see all the grittyness disappear. If I was tu student, I would have eaten there 3 to 4 times a week, and would no doubt ever set foot in that hotel, except to maybe use the bathroom.

Last edited by the Genral; Oct 11, 2016 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Its always nice to know you are losing your job during the holidays. Time to sharpen their resumes. Despite their loss of quality employment, this hotel will look nicer sitting on top of that soon to be former grease pit. That being said, so ends a little more funky in the campus area at the hands of progress. While I like this improvement and building, I still hate to see all the grittyness disappear. If I was tu student, I would have eaten there 3 to 4 times a week, and would no doubt ever set foot in that hotel, except to maybe use the bathroom.
Hard to eat at McDonalds when Raising Canes is across the street. I think I've gone there once in my three years at UT to get a Shamrock shake. I'll gladly welcome a cool new hotel on that corner. Now if this were going where the Canes is, I'd be the first to have an opposition sign. I get what you mean though about West Campus beginning to serve less of a student purpose, but I'd like to see even more mixed use in the area. My dream for West Campus is the lifting of some of the height overlays and the construction of some 300-400 ft spec office towers. I'd imagine property is at more of a premium in the CBD so it would be cool to see some of that shift here. More affordable housing in this area would be nice too. I guess the long term goal would be to have a place that caters to students and people in the young professionals range (23-28) that don't yet have families. Basically a more affordable CBD to live around and work in while being connected to the downtown core by some sort of rail.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Hard to eat at McDonalds when Raising Canes is across the street. I think I've gone there once in my three years at UT to get a Shamrock shake. I'll gladly welcome a cool new hotel on that corner. Now if this were going where the Canes is, I'd be the first to have an opposition sign. I get what you mean though about West Campus beginning to serve less of a student purpose, but I'd like to see even more mixed use in the area. My dream for West Campus is the lifting of some of the height overlays and the construction of some 300-400 ft spec office towers. I'd imagine property is at more of a premium in the CBD so it would be cool to see some of that shift here. More affordable housing in this area would be nice too. I guess the long term goal would be to have a place that caters to students and people in the young professionals range (23-28) that don't yet have families. Basically a more affordable CBD to live around and work in while being connected to the downtown core by some sort of rail.
The newest living option in downtown Austin is the Rise. The McDonalds is 9 blocks north from that. Nine blocks south from the Rise is Cesar Chavez (1st). Downtown and West Campus aren't that separate.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
The newest living option in downtown Austin is the Rise. The McDonalds is 9 blocks north from that. Nine blocks south from the Rise is Cesar Chavez (1st). Downtown and West Campus aren't that separate.
Sure, but would you consider West Campus "downtown"? It's close but you could say that MLK is sort of the dividing line. Hypothetically if there were an "L" system of sorts, I could see one stop being West Campus and there being the need for at least two "downtown stops" before getting to Cesar Chavez. Even the 801/803 bus system has a few stops over those 20 or so blocks.

I mean, it's really semantics whether or not West Campus is downtown but I still think it could cater to a different group than downtown currently does, which is mostly made up of older professionals, some families, and retirees. At the very least, West Campus isn't currently in the CBD.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 10:03 PM

The site plan is now available. It's about 110', and the elevations begin on page 20.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...20St_PLANS.pdf

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 1:33 AM
Meh

What page did it show it at 110 feet? The highest height I could find on page 20 is 142 feet 11 1/2 inches to the mechanical penthouse roof. The 11th floor, which is the amenity deck on what is really the main roof, is 115 feet 5 1/2 inches.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
What page did it show it at 110 feet? The highest height I could find on page 20 is 142 feet 11 1/2 inches to the mechanical penthouse roof. The 11th floor, which is the amenity deck on what is really the main roof, is 115 feet 5 1/2 inches.
I took a real quick sideways look at it and don't know where I got the 110' from. Now that I have some time to look at it more, I flipped it and blew it up and 143' looks right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin