HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:50 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
because I read the image captions.

The glass is just a aesthetic veneer over the parking structure. You put the outside layer on after the inside. They are probably waiting to install them to decrease the chance of damage or dirt getting on the glass while the rest of the building is in construction.
If the captions say those windows are specifically for the garage section then that's good to hear. Since I use my phone to check and post on the forum, I'm unable to read the articles because they are paid subscription and I can't press escape to bypass.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:29 AM

This post probably belongs on the Austin Proper thread, but here is a link to the condo floorplans for the Proper. There are quite a few windows facing the Third and Shoal Creek office building along that very narrow divide between the office building and the Proper. Are these windows going to be "spandrel" windows? If so, what will they look like, etc. Scroll the entire linked page for a view of different floor plans on different floors.

https://www.properhotel.com/wp-conte...es_11.1.17.pdf

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
A spandrel window is a piece of glass placed over another surface.
http://glassed.vitroglazings.com/gla...rel_glass.aspx

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
This post probably belongs on the Austin Proper thread, but here is a link to the condo floorplans for the Proper. There are quite a few windows facing the Third and Shoal Creek office building along that very narrow divide between the office building and the Proper. Are these windows going to be "spandrel" windows? If so, what will they look like, etc. Scroll the entire linked page for a view of different floor plans on different floors.

https://www.properhotel.com/wp-conte...es_11.1.17.pdf
So in the floorplans all the windows that have black between the window and the actual unit are spandrel glass. From what I've understand, they are supposed to look identical to vision glass from the outside.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 6:54 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Okay, so I had it backwards:

Quote:
To create this effect, the fabrication process for monolithic glass spandrels and insulated glass (IG) spandrels involves applying an opacifier, which is typically made from silicone-based paint or ceramic frits, to the indoor surface of a glass lite.
But the point is the same: two materials, rather than just glass.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
because I read the image captions.

The glass is just a aesthetic veneer over the parking structure. You put the outside layer on after the inside. They are probably waiting to install them to decrease the chance of damage or dirt getting on the glass while the rest of the building is in construction.
What caption where? Can you copy and paste it here? I can't read the article.

It makes no sense to have glass over metal screens. That means the metal screens are just a waste of money. Plus, the glass panels are located *inside* the garage - they would either have to remove the metal screens and then put on the glass, and put *back* the metal screens from the inside (if their plan is simply to put the glass over the metal screens), or bring the windows back down to the ground and raise them by crane to install them.

Maybe whatever caption you saw may have just been a reporter confused by seeing glass inside the garage, that is perhaps actually going to go up the building and be installed in the upper floors but is being stored in the garage for now where it is protected from the elements.

I really wish you were right about this being glass for the garage, but I am almost positive what we see is the final product, sadly.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:15 PM

I have been studying buildings like this for many years and have seen it all. If you read between the lines of GENSLER's comments, they made a mistake and covered the garage with grey metal when it should have been windows. There are no spandrels being installed here since none of the buildings I have seen have room for the spandrels between the parking spots and the windows. They can easily switch out the metal with glass quickly from the inside of the garage since they don't need scaffolding and so they can access it from the empty parking spots (thus the placement of windows into the garage). This is also why they would want to do it now, instead of waiting for the building to finish (the parking spots would be full once the building opens and plus they want to start working on the building towards the river.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
I have been studying buildings like this for many years and have seen it all. If you read between the lines of GENSLER's comments, they made a mistake and covered the garage with grey metal when it should have been windows. There are no spandrels being installed here since none of the buildings I have seen have room for the spandrels between the parking spots and the windows. They can easily switch out the metal with glass quickly from the inside of the garage since they don't need scaffolding and so they can access it from the empty parking spots (thus the placement of windows into the garage). This is also why they would want to do it now, instead of waiting for the building to finish (the parking spots would be full once the building opens and plus they want to start working on the building towards the river.
I sure hope you’re right! Windows with LED strips would make this building a heck of a lot better!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:54 PM

Generally, if you have metal mesh screens it's for ventilation. They would have to install a mechanical ventilation system in the garage in order to cover it completely with glass, which is expensive to include in the original plans and VERY expensive to retrofit if it wasn't in the original plans.

My thought is that Facebook might be behind the upgrades, if in fact they are switching out the metal screens for glass. Maybe Facebook doesn't want the cheap option on their Austin flagship location? Just speculation on my part.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Generally, if you have metal mesh screens it's for ventilation. They would have to install a mechanical ventilation system in the garage in order to cover it completely with glass, which is expensive to include in the original plans and VERY expensive to retrofit if it wasn't in the original plans.

My thought is that Facebook might be behind the upgrades, if in fact they are switching out the metal screens for glass. Maybe Facebook doesn't want the cheap option on their Austin flagship location? Just speculation on my part.
I think Facebook is the prime candidate for this proposed upgrade, I don't think Bank of America would be one to care much how their building looks, but I may be mistaken. As with all projects, I will believe it when I see it, and hopefully we see change soon to get this eyesore removed.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
What caption where? Can you copy and paste it here? I can't read the article.

It seems like those windows can hook onto the latches on the gray wall. Look at the sides of the windows in the image above and the latches on the wall below:

Quote:

There is no way they changed the material during construction. There is no way they would be able to do that without submitting changes to the city. Whatever building you see at the end of construction was what they intended the entire time. The designs still call for half of the podium to have exposed ventilation without windows.

The ABJ could be wrong but I just really don't think the developer would be using the renderings they are using if the design changed that drastically. I can't think of any building that didn't update renderings after such significant changes. It still might not look that good once it's done but give it a chance.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:

There is no way they changed the material during construction. There is no way they would be able to do that without submitting changes to the city. Whatever building you see at the end of construction was what they intended the entire time. The designs still call for half of the podium to have exposed ventilation without windows.

The ABJ could be wrong but I just really don't think the developer would be using the renderings they are using if the design changed that drastically. I can't think of any building that didn't update renderings after such significant changes. It still might not look that good once it's done but give it a chance.
Actually, once you begin construction, the changes you make to the plans are submitted to the city but they don't get posted on the city's permit site unless the changes are so drastic that they impact the site development permit. Things like adding to the number of floors, increasing the impervious cover, that kind of thing. Changes made during construction are handled through change orders. The public wouldn't see those so unless someone from Trammell Crow confirms it, we won't know if there have been upgrades to the building's skin and/or garage ventilation.

With regard to renderings, they are not required to be updated. They are not even required to be done at all. Line elevations in the site plans are all you really need to get your project approved, and even those don't get updated after the site development permit is issued.

Full color renderings are generally produced strictly to market the project, first to attract investors to fund it, and secondly to attract tenants after construction starts but before the building takes shape. Renderings are expensive and if your rendering is close enough to the original, you can continue to use it in your marketing regardless of if there were changes made to the exterior of the building. Of course, if your rendering shows a blue glass 20 story tower and you end up with a red brick 5 story building, you are going to want to either update the renderings or scrap them altogether.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 7:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It does look like they are adding windows where the metal panels were facing 4th. I didn't get any pictures but I drove by Wednesday and noticed a part that I know was covered with metal is now covered with glass.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 12:22 AM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 10:47 PM

The more I look at this building, the less I like it. However I do like the green glass. I just wish there was more of it. Here are some closer-in pictures of the poverty siding.

Full resolution of all the pictures I took are on imgur, in case you want to zoom in: https://imgur.com/a/OkFkbVH

That canyon between these buildings is really, really dark. These pictures were taken in the middle of the day.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 1:07 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
The more I look at this building, the less I like it. However I do like the green glass. I just wish there was more of it. Here are some closer-in pictures of the poverty siding.

Full resolution of all the pictures I took are on imgur, in case you want to zoom in: https://imgur.com/a/OkFkbVH

That canyon between these buildings is really, really dark. These pictures were taken in the middle of the day.

Looks like everyone was sold a bill of goods. The bottom of Shoal is total crap & should be unacceptable. Wasn't that supposed to be glassed in?

Wish this city could do something about that (I know they won't...so, please don't grill me on that). Cielo Development should be held accountable - and should be the ones grilled on social media.

Damn, I'd be so pissed if i were the developers of Austin Proper.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Damn, I'd be so pissed if i were the developers of Austin Proper.
Agreed. Compare how the two interact with the creek. One totally celebrates it while the other walls itself off. One also has far more interesting architecture and attention to design and detail. Wonder which one that would be.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 6:09 PM

Not sure if this has been asked before but how do they remove the crane with it not being able to jack itself down since its encapsulated in the building?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:04 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It would make sense for them to use that siding facing Austin Proper but having it face Shoal Creek is the worst possible choice they could have done apart than leaving it an open garage. It's going to end up being the most photographed (already is) side of the building and they basically got lazy.

Putting cost into perspective, you would think that they could have done a better job even with a budget. They missed a huge opportunity for creek interaction. I wouldn't be suprised if a facade renovation is done sometime in the future.

The building looks better when viewed from the northeast.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 8:23 PM

Still think you guys should be patient. The building isn't close to done and there is plenty of time to cover the left side of the western wall to match the designs. The majority of their exterior marketing material feature the west side of the building so I don't think they don't think that's an important side.

Still, I don't think the building is going to look great from the southwest side but it'll look decent from the northwest including the pedestrian bridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin