HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 7:51 PM
Meh

Cool AUSTIN | Third + Shoal | 389 FEET | 29 FLOORS | U/C | Complete

Construction cam link:
https://app.oxblue.com/open/DPR/cielo

-

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ll-office.html
Quote:
Exclusive: Austin Music Hall set for wrecking ball, office tower planned

Jul 7, 2015, 2:00pm CDT Updated Jul 7, 2015, 2:18pm CDT
Jan Buchholz
Austin Business Journal

The Austin Music Hall is to be demolished to make way for a 28-story office building.

Officials with Cielo Property Group, an Austin real estate company, confirmed in an exclusive interview with the Austin Business Journal that it is teaming up with Tier REIT of Dallas to build another downtown office tower.

Demolition of the 43,000-square-foot entertainment venue at 208 Nueces St. will begin in January. Construction of the 349,000-square-foot building is scheduled to start in early 2016 and deliver at the end of 2017.

The predominantly glass tower will include ground-floor retail, outdoor terraces overlooking Shoal Creek and three floors of creative office space that feature 28-foot ceilings and loft-like spaces. Traditional offices will cover 10 floors. The rest of the structure will include parking along with a 300-stall bike storage facility.
Included with the rendering for Austin Proper was a depiction of a building on the site of the Austin Music Hall. The rectangular glass tower on the left is presumed to be this new office tower.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Sep 28, 2017 at 10:31 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:24 PM
Meh

It could end up being pretty tall actually. That's 84 feet on just 3 floors. If the other 25 floors make it about the same height as 300 West Sixth, then this building could end up being close to 400 feet.

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...way-for/nmszL/
Quote:
Three floors in the building will feature ceilings that are 28 feet high, allowing for lofts and other types of creative workspaces.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:30 PM

Sucks. Mind you.... The current version of the Music Hall sucks. But it still sucks that in the end we are loosing another venue. Really people ..... what town is this???? But it also sucks that they are giving lip service to maintaining the name and looking to re-open ...blah blah balh.
If they had a real interest...they could have build a venue in the building.
Doubt they ever planed to maintain it as it is.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Sucks. Mind you.... The current version of the Music Hall sucks. But it still sucks that in the end we are loosing another venue. Really people ..... what town is this???? But it also sucks that they are giving lip service to maintaining the name and looking to re-open ...blah blah balh.
If they had a real interest...they could have build a venue in the building.
Doubt they ever planed to maintain it as it is.
AMH was doomed after too much money was spent on a bad renovation. The wounds resulting in it's closure were self-inflicted. This is the result of poor management.

All is not lost yet. It's not like new venues are not opening in this competitive market. I have not been to The Townsend ( http://thetownsendaustin.com/ ) yet, but it looks like they're trying to be innovative. Granted, more venues have disappeared than have been created though.

Also keep in mind what is happening with Antone's. From what I've read, I'd say that the move of that venue will end up as a vast improvement. It sounds as if the new management is going to do a good job of being innovative and competitive where other venues (AMH) have not done so well. Hopefully, better management will yield a better result with Antone's and eventually AMH.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:36 PM
Meh

The Austin Music Hall, though, has the atmosphere of a cave.

As for the name and new venue for Austin Music Hall, they very well may be considering including it in the new development. Why else would they keep the name of a failed venue for a new tower which has nothing to do with that venue other than standing where it used to be? The only thing I wonder is with the site being relatively small, the tower would almost certainly have to be above the venue.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:38 PM

Another 400 footer. We really need the Independent to happen.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
As for the name and new venue for Austin Music Hall, they very well may be considering including it in the new development. Why else would they keep the name of a failed venue for a new tower which has nothing to do with that venue other than standing where it used to be? The only thing I wonder is with the site being relatively small, the tower would almost certainly have to be above the venue.
Actually, they are not naming the tower Austin Music Hall - they are keeping the Austin Music Hall brand-name and "will search for a smaller site elsewhere in the city where it might be able to open a new music venue.", per the Statesman article.

They will probably name it 208 Nueces, unless they get a high profile tenant that they can name it after, for example Frost Bank Tower, Chase Tower, Bank of America Tower, etc. Although naming a building after a bank is falling out of favor among real estate developers and owners.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 10:24 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
...Although naming a building after a bank is falling out of favor among real estate developers and owners.
I do not find this to be true at all. Take a look around the world. In fact, take a look 75 miles south of you...see me waiving? Weston Urban is going to build a new office tower in SA and Frost Bank will be somehow incorporated in its name.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 10:58 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

MichaelB has a good point. Too many entertainment/music venues, (I'm also including bars and clubs) are closing DT and that is not a good sign. Just in the last 6 months more than one spot that I would regularly patron is closed. Whole sections of blocks which used to be bustling with people at night and on the weekends are dead. Just look at the southwest corner of Congress and 5th for an example. Only one bar is left in that building which used to house 4. That's not the only area that is seeing loss. Other areas of the Warehouse District are losing entertainment venues and it's not just confined to that part of DT.

If they plan to open a new AMH it needs to stay DT! We need to stop the bleeding where venues leave the core. One of the things I've always loved about Austin is that I can go Downtown and go to as many entertainment venues on foot as I want. If we lose that we will be no different than most of the other cities where everything is spread out and you have to drive to get from one place to another. I'm not saying there shouldn't be entertainment/music venues in other parts of the city but DT should always be the center of it all with the highest amount. It is the heart and fabric of our music culture. The city council needs to consider options for making it more affordable for these places to stay in DT because they are being priced out.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 11:03 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I do not find this to be true at all. Take a look around the world. In fact, take a look 75 miles south of you...see me waiving? Weston Urban is going to build a new office tower in SA and Frost Bank will be somehow incorporated in its name.
The difference there is that will be Frost Bank's headquarters, not just rented space. I think the idea is that since the public has developed a lower view of banks these days, that it's unfavorable to slap their names on your buildings. I think it's a silly sentiment, though, since the public has next to no relationship with real estate companies anyway. Not to mention the public can develop an unfavorable view for just about any company anyway that might make them biased against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Actually, they are not naming the tower Austin Music Hall - they are keeping the Austin Music Hall brand-name and "will search for a smaller site elsewhere in the city where it might be able to open a new music venue.", per the Statesman article.

They will probably name it 208 Nueces, unless they get a high profile tenant that they can name it after, for example Frost Bank Tower, Chase Tower, Bank of America Tower, etc. Although naming a building after a bank is falling out of favor among real estate developers and owners.
I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 4:56 PM

Some good perspective:

Chad's Take: Why you shouldn't freak out about Austin Music Hall
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ut-austin.html

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 2:51 AM

This is great! Hoping a more solid venue could be incorporated into the base. AMH sucked so hard.

I was LOLing at all my old yuppie neighbors complaining about this on the 360 FB page. Some of them don't realize they live downtown where other buildings also live.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Some good perspective:

Chad's Take: Why you shouldn't freak out about Austin Music Hall
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ut-austin.html
As we may lose AMH and some other music venues, new ones are still being created. Here's an ABJ story on All ATX Music Factory:
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ess+Journal%29

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:42 PM

Just to note: that rendering is just a massing of the property and isn't the likely build. There is a max height of 60 feet along the creek and so the building will likely have Proper-style cutbacks.

Source

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:45 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Just to note: that rendering is just a massing of the property and isn't the likely build. There is a max height of 60 feet along the creek and so the building will likely have Proper-style cutbacks.

Source
Well now. That would make the idea for a shared space for the music venue even more viable. Put the music hall under the 60 foot height limit and let the tower occupy the east end of the lot.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:49 PM

The Statesman has the story now. Let the whining about losing an icon that the whiners never went to begin.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The Statesman has the story now. Let the whining about losing an icon that the whiners never went to begin.

May I ask what the point about Whiners is about. ? Other than to get a reaction?
Or is this about calling the building an Icon?
To me it's about loosing another music venue ....good or bad.
It's a trend that speaks to the heart of the vibe in Austin.

For the record. I am not lameting the loss of the music hall in it's current form. It did indeed suck. I am really concerned about loosing a venue and not having it replaced.
I think it's time the city start to address this as well as afordable housing.
It would really be great if this building has a venue at it's base.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
May I ask what the point about Whiners is about. ? Other than to get a reaction?
Or is this about calling the building an Icon?
To me it's about loosing another music venue ....good or bad.
It's a trend that speaks to the heart of the vibe in Austin.

For the record. I am not lameting the loss of the music hall in it's current form. It did indeed suck. I am really concerned about loosing a venue and not having it replaced.
I think it's time the city start to address this as well as afordable housing.
It would really be great if this building has a venue at it's base.
My post was about the Statesman article and Statesman commenters are notorious for whining/complaining/bitching/etc. about any local issue that involves something new getting built.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:45 PM

I'm also seconding the poor venue quality. It is a warehouse with cobbled together front entrance... The property didn't lend to a good experience. That all said, it was nice walking across the street to see shows.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 10:22 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

If AMH was a success, then it would not be replaced by something else...bottom line!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin