HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 1:08 AM

I'm not sure about the footprint of the building. In the timeline I posted, it only mentions demolishing the Herman Crown Center. However judging by the rendering from Grant Park, the new tower seems to extend more north/south than HCC currently does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Wow. Looks killer. But I think this does actually belong in highrise proposals, or the Rundown.
Ugh, I can't get things right today. You're right that it probably should go in the Rundown thread in city compilations. I've never actually been in that part of the forum. I've always seemed to overlook it. I look in the highrise construction subforums and also in the general development forum, but I've never clicked into the city compilations forum before. And this being the first time I've posted a thread regarding a new highrise, I've now been mistaken twice in where it should be posted. I'll repost this info again in that thread. Moderators feel free to delete the post I made in this thread with the information.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
BWChicago: I'm a little disappointed with the proposed addition to Nickel's former residence as well, especially considering all of the work he put in to restoring the rear of the building and converting the first-floor bakery. However, I question the pertinence of placing his residence on the Chicago Seven. Don't get me wrong; Richard Nickel's legacy is a great one, and he is a personal hero of mine, but is his legacy strong enough to warrant placing his home on that particular list when there are likely many stronger candidates to bring attention to? I don't mean any disrespect, but I question the motivation behind Preservation Chicago effectively declaring his former home some sort of shrine to his existence on the scale of that large of a commitment to it. This is not to say that I don't care about the structure at all; quite the opposite, in fact. But do you think that Nickel, were he to be alive today, would want to see attention drawn to more significant structures?
Probably not, and I think this will almost certainly be approved since the interior has been completely altered from Nickel's time and the back wall might've already been too - I don't totally remember. I think if they're moving to landmark it too, more power to them. I think it's a fine proposal, just disappointing. And there's no telling what Nickel would have thought of such a proposal for something else - I think his position would have evolved considerably. But that's all quite academic.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 6:34 AM
Dance with the Devil

I hate Chicago sports stadium!!!
all these old ass stadiums!!!
all the other cities are building brand spanking new stadium and Chicago is stuck with these old ass stadiums... sure they got history and legacy but the Yankee Stadium did and they tore that down. the Dallas Stadium has history and they will demolish that down too. Shea Stadium is gone and many many more old stadiums that are being replaced with state of the art new stadiums.
its time for Chicago to do the same!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 7:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by munda View Post
all the other cities are building brand spanking new stadium and Chicago is stuck with these old ass stadiums... sure they got history and legacy but the Yankee Stadium did and they tore that down. the Dallas Stadium has history and they will demolish that down too. Shea Stadium is gone and many many more old stadiums that are being replaced with state of the art new stadiums.
Well lets see....Comiskey Park "The Cell" is all of what 18 years old, the UC is about 14 years old, Soldier field was rehabbed only a few years ago

....other than that ....yeah all our stadia are old as hell

time for you to go back to sleep, me thinks

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 3:02 PM
The City

Quote:
^ Gotta disagree.

See Lawfin's post.

Don't forget the new Chicago Fire stadium, plus that new hockey rink planned for the west side.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Lemme guess: you are a disgruntled Cubs fan?

Honestly, though, Wrigley is the only sports venue in Chicago that I can think of that hasn't been built or radically renovated in the last 20 years. Can't we let just ONE piece of sports history stand?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 3:56 PM

I have a question about Chicago's sport stadiums. Does this city have the most neighborhood professional sports stadiums? Wrigley Field, obviously right in the middle of a neighborhood. UC and "The Cell" are surrounded by parking lots, but there are still a lot of residential units around it. And Soldier field is right across from the booming south loop. Point being, thousands of residents can walk to pro sport stadiums. How do other cities stack up? Do other cities have stadiums in neighborhoods?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 5:51 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
Well lets see....Comiskey Park "The Cell" is all of what 18 years old, ...
Plus it also had significant updates/changes made just a few years ago, too, to further improve it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 5:58 PM
BANNED

Yeah, I dunno about you guys, but I feel like the spaceship that landed on soldier field certainly counts as a "new stadium" especially when they took away the landmark status over it (didn't they?).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 6:09 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
I have a question about Chicago's sport stadiums. Does this city have the most neighborhood professional sports stadiums? Wrigley Field, obviously right in the middle of a neighborhood. UC and "The Cell" are surrounded by parking lots, but there are still a lot of residential units around it. And Soldier field is right across from the booming south loop. Point being, thousands of residents can walk to pro sport stadiums. How do other cities stack up? Do other cities have stadiums in neighborhoods?
I think it was the first Dodger's stadium build in LA that pioneered the whole "stadium in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by parking" method.

A lot of places do. Most aren't as "in the middle of a neighborhood" as Wrigley is - even Fenway isn't as neighborhoody as Wrigley - but a lot of stadiums are integrated into cities in ways that are at least theoretically walkable for some residents. Portland's arena for the Trailblazers isn't in a residential area, but it's not far from one, and it is in the middle of a commercial neighborhood in the center of the city. Their PGE Park, home of their AAA baseball team is also in a neighborhood.

In Seattle, Key Area is in the center fo the city, just blocks from the Space Needle, and QWest Field and Safeco Field are sort of in an area that shares some similarities with Chicago's South Loop.

In Minneapolis, the Metrodome is just a few blocks from downtown and some residentialish areas - not a great walk, but doable. Target Center is literally in the middle of downtown.

In San Francisco, there are neighborhoods very near Candlestick and AT&T Park is between downtown and the Bay.

In Baltimore, Camden Yards is across the street from neighborhoods.

In Cleveland, both stadiums are on the edge of downtown.

I might help if you defined better what you mean by "neighborhoods" I guess, since a lot of places have stadiums integrated into the city that may or may not meet your criteria.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 6:38 PM
BANNED

That little classroom expansion at Loyola's Downtown Campus is moving very fast, they have already blown out that auditorium that prevents retail space from being at the NW corner of Wabash and Chicago and have closed the sidewalk. They apparently just started demolition on the existing classroom building where they are going to be opening up the walls because I am in class right now and there is a constant loud thud and the whole building is shaking. Haha, this is funny, now I know what the poor folks in BCBS must have felt like over the past year...

Anyone else here been in an existing highrise while part of the building is being demolished? Haha its certainly an experience, the whole building is rattling.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I think it was the first Dodger's stadium build in LA that pioneered the whole "stadium in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by parking" method.

A lot of places do. Most aren't as "in the middle of a neighborhood" as Wrigley is - even Fenway isn't as neighborhoody as Wrigley - but a lot of stadiums are integrated into cities in ways that are at least theoretically walkable for some residents. Portland's arena for the Trailblazers isn't in a residential area, but it's not far from one, and it is in the middle of a commercial neighborhood in the center of the city. Their PGE Park, home of their AAA baseball team is also in a neighborhood.

In Seattle, Key Area is in the center fo the city, just blocks from the Space Needle, and QWest Field and Safeco Field are sort of in an area that shares some similarities with Chicago's South Loop.

In Minneapolis, the Metrodome is just a few blocks from downtown and some residentialish areas - not a great walk, but doable. Target Center is literally in the middle of downtown.

In San Francisco, there are neighborhoods very near Candlestick and AT&T Park is between downtown and the Bay.

In Baltimore, Camden Yards is across the street from neighborhoods.

In Cleveland, both stadiums are on the edge of downtown.

I might help if you defined better what you mean by "neighborhoods" I guess, since a lot of places have stadiums integrated into the city that may or may not meet your criteria.
Yankee stadium was pretty integrated.....I do not know about the new one

I have a question for you guys...How much better would Comiskey ( I still call it that) be if they got rid of most or even all of the parking lots surrounding the park and turned into relatively high density living say on the order of 3 - 6 story flats primarliy. On top of this allowed for a nice mix or commercial.

The parking situation I think would work itself out just fine....as it does around wrigley...if you are silly enought to drive

On its face it seem to be a tremendous improvement and would help propel the area around bridgeport into more of a destination as east lakeview has become

thoughts??

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
Yankee stadium was pretty integrated.....I do not know about the new one

I have a question for you guys...How much better would Comiskey ( I still call it that) be if they got rid of most or even all of the parking lots surrounding the park and turned into relatively high density living say on the order of 3 - 6 story flats primarliy. On top of this allowed for a nice mix or commercial.

The parking situation I think would work itself out just fine....as it does around wrigley...if you are silly enought to drive

On its face it seem to be a tremendous improvement and would help propel the area around bridgeport into more of a destination as east lakeview has become

thoughts??
As much as I would love for that situation to work out, I think it would be a huge risk for them.

The agency I work for was pitching them two years ago when they where looking for a new one. Part of their marketing strategy revolves around the ease of getting to the stadium. This lets them cater to a geographically larger area, ie the suburbs.

Making Comisky a more truly urban stadium would put them in more direct competition with the Cubs…right now they really don't compete for many fans. At least not in the sense of people who are actually attending games.

Maybe if the area continues to grow, then eventually it could be feasible. But it would have to be almost risk free for them to consider scrapping the parking lots and losing potential fans.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Gotta disagree.

See Lawfin's post.

Don't forget the new Chicago Fire stadium, plus that new hockey rink planned for the west side.
.....what west side hockey rink ? ..is it for the Blackhawks ?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 4:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
As much as I would love for that situation to work out, I think it would be a huge risk for them.

The agency I work for was pitching them two years ago when they where looking for a new one. Part of their marketing strategy revolves around the ease of getting to the stadium. This lets them cater to a geographically larger area, ie the suburbs.

Making Comisky a more truly urban stadium would put them in more direct competition with the Cubs…right now they really don't compete for many fans. At least not in the sense of people who are actually attending games.

Maybe if the area continues to grow, then eventually it could be feasible. But it would have to be almost risk free for them to consider scrapping the parking lots and losing potential fans.
That an interesting point but I do think that it is the Cubs that appeal to a broader geographical fan base & I would say it is substantially broader. But I do agree that a major contingent of Sox fans are western suburban and south suburban.....many x-chicago people.

I think eventually if they changed the area to something more integrated......but not overly programmed....ala the area around wrigley they could gain fans as the area could itself become a destination.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 5:19 PM
THAT Guy

Posted on SSC

While reading the Dearborn Association newsletter I came across a few bits of info.

First, the Three Arts Club building is no longer going to be a hotel. Soho House pulled out of the deal and now M Development is going to sell the building, possibly to a private elementary school.

Second, they mentioned something interesting about Ogden. I remember that they wanted to add a high school but the newsletter also said they were looking for a site to relocate the elementary school because of construction on Walton Street. Are they planning to expand or are they going to build an entirely new school on Walton? I wonder if they've considered selling that prime site to a developer.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 5:24 PM
Dance with the Devil

ok...
chicago has build United Center, U.S. Cellular Field and renovated Soldier Field all in the past 20 years. Lets see The UC resemblance Chicago Stadium. The Cell resemblance Old Comiskey Park. Putting a spaceship on top of Soldier Field dont make it new. Chicago built "new" stadiums, but used the blueprint of old stadium.
all i am saying is that chicago needs new stadium design as eye popping as the architecture of the city.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 5:49 PM

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Last edited by aic4ever; Sep 3, 2009 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 6:38 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
Hey everybody.

Just want to let you all know our new website has launched so you can see some of the stuff that I, as well as the rest of the team at Centaur has been up to!

www.centaurco.com
Jesus! The "Kaplan Residence" is stunning!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
Hey everybody.

Just want to let you all know our new website has launched so you can see some of the stuff that I, as well as the rest of the team at Centaur has been up to!

www.centaurco.com
Nice slideshows - just need to be more extensive.

thanks for the link.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development