HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Wow, that's a really beautiful neighborhood!

I don't think of stucco as being a common material in the north. It's there, but not nearly as ubiquitous as in Florida and the Southwest.
I believe I've heard stucco is very common in Minneapolis, for some reason.

Also, in the early 20th century Tudor Revival/Mock Tudor was a pretty common streetcar suburban building style - particularly in the 1920s - thus a lot of homes of that age have at least some of the facade covered in stucco.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Wow, that's a really beautiful neighborhood!

I don't think of stucco as being a common material in the north. It's there, but not nearly as ubiquitous as in Florida and the Southwest.
northshore chicago burbs are filled with 100+ year old stucco houses like the ones i linked to in Wilmette.

they're nowhere near as common where i'm at now down in the city in lincoln square, but you can still find old stucco houses tucked in here and there.

here's an old stucco bungalow around the corner from us:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9671...7i16384!8i8192

other than the much smaller city lot size, and the open front porch, that one is not terribly different from the stucco bungalow i grew up in up in wilmette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
very true.

the area i lived in during college up in St. Paul had plenty of stucco houses of a similar vintage and style to the ones i grew up around down in the chicago burbs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9429...7i13312!8i6656

even the old-timey street light standards look like wilmette!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 2, 2023 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Also, in the early 20th century Tudor Revival/Mock Tudor was a pretty common streetcar suburban building style - particularly in the 1920s - thus a lot of homes of that age have at least some of the facade covered in stucco.
Hm, I could see that. Stucco is a common exterior material for Prairie Style architecture, and I think Minneapolis has a lot of homes of that style. I also never thought about stucco being present on Tudor Revival homes...I guess it's more common in the north than I thought.

When I think of stucco homes, though, this is basically what comes to mind.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 8:09 PM

You don't really see colorful stucco up north - the pastel hues, the pinks and blues and oranges that you see around LA, the Southwest and Florida. I guess that's why you don't notice them as much. I personally love colorful stucco homes. They really pop in the sun.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 11:11 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
My apartment building was built in 2014 and it's concrete construction. It received a silver LEED certification. It is so quiet in here. I don't hear hardly any noise. The people above have to do something really really really loud for us to hear anything. You can hear people in the middle of the hallway units if you pass by their doors..but not from our apartment.

They built a third building last year to complete our complex. That building was wood with the pieces shipped put together and a large crane lifted them into place. I am told they can hear a decent amount of noise from inside those units.

So no...I am going to try to hold out in my apartment as long as I can afford it. I love my unit.

Also, we know for a fact the fire suppression worked. A unit on the second floor had a kitchen fire on Mother's Day 2021. The oven caught fire and set the cabinets on fire too. The main smoke detector in our units that set off the sprinklers kicked in and spewed the water in the apartment. However, it sent a lot of that water into the hallway and then it started finding it's way into the unit below it which is right next door to us. That apartment basically got rained on and some of the water found a path to our second bathroom near our front door. We just had a tiny bit of water damage. The family company that developed the whole neighborhood and owns the apartments had Balfor onsite within an hour or two and they started remediation immediately. They used purple wallboard which supposedly doesn't get as moldy so they had fans and dehumidifiers in the hallways on two floors, the two apartments most affected and in our bathroom for over a week. So the concrete construction makes me feel a lot better than living in what I call match stick buildings. Also, our local township does require all housing units to have sprinklers in them since the 1980's. I think every new apartment complex in the US should have them...I don't think most of them do.
In terms of sound dampening, concrete does an amazing job. It is very thick & heavy, so it blocks many low-frequency sounds. With that said, sound dampening design can be implemented to basically any design fairly easily (not just concrete or masonry buildings) as long as the developer is willing to implement it.

Concrete also has many other advantages over steel or wood. Concrete floors are also stiffer than steel or wood joist floors, so they aren't as bouncy or deflective. And concrete is naturally fireproof.

But it isn't perfect by any means.

The reason that mass timber is in vogue nowadays is due to its low embodied carbon compared with either concrete or steel. Both cement and steel production output tons of CO2.

Another issue is that concrete's tensile strength is based entirely on properly engineered & placed steel rebar or pre-stressed cables. These tensile elements are fine as long as they don't oxidize when exposed to moisture, which almost never happens except maybe in warm desert climates. Concrete is porous and not waterproof, so extensive moisture exposure will eventually make its way to the tensile elements. If not properly maintained, concrete can fail spectacularly - see the Surfside, FL condo collapse.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I cringe when I see older houses up north sided. It's usually cheap vinyl shit that cracks and fades unevenly and clashes with the pre-war aesthetic of the house. Tons of houses in my hometown had their clapboards replaced with siding and it just looks terrible.

More contemporary looking homes look great sided.
I definitely get what you're saying, although newer vinyl products tend to be a lot better aesthetically.

However, Hardiplank/cement fiber is aesthetically superior to any vinyl in my book. The finish looks so much cleaner and natural, even on an older home.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 2:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

When I think of stucco homes, though, this is basically what comes to mind.
for sure.

and your default "stucco house" mental image isn't uncommon, very much because of the ubiquity of it that is typically found in places with a high prevalence of vaguely "spanish" style residential vernacular.

that said, the midwest (and other regions as well, i imagine) still has a fair amount of vintage "stealth" stucco housing because of its common use in traditional styles like craftsman, prairie school, and tudor revival.

but because those styles don't at all resemble "spanish" style, it seems some people look right past the fact that many of them are in fact clad with stucco just the same.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 3, 2023 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 2:37 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
are you simply talking about modern EIFS fake stucco cladding systems?

because i grew up in a 100+ year old traditional stucco home in suburban chicago, surrounded by hundreds of other such homes, and they've held up great.

here are some very typical side streets in the burb i grew up in, full of early 20th century stucco-clad houses:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0706...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0706...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0738...7i16384!8i8192
Yes. The newer stucco used since at least the 90's is terrible. Whatever they used decades ago is far superior building material but it probably would be very expensive to recreate on today's new homes.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions