HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:08 PM

Nice New urban Development near Downtown Prescott.

https://goo.gl/maps/27oBE8S4goXL85Zk6

Quote:
With the Prescott City Council’s recent approval of a City-owned land sale, developer Founding Fathers Properties LLC plans to build a mixed-use project featuring residential and commercial uses at 215 and 223 N. McCormick St.

Prescott will use the $466K sale proceeds to pay down the loan it used to purchase the new City Hall building on Montezuma Street.

Founding Fathers intends to demolish the existing building on the McCormick Street property and replace it with a mixed-use development featuring residential units, a food hall and a distillery. The current plan is for four stories, although the developer has expressed interest in a fifth. Height variances would have to go through the regular approval process.

The buyer has requested a 60-day escrow to complete environmental and soil studies.

The total estimated development cost is between $35M and $45M. (Source)

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 7:57 PM

Highway side Winery !

Ive seen these in other states but its about time we got one

Quote:
Hunn Development Company is proposing to develop Cherry Road Vineyards, an approximately 300-acre winery, resort, mixed residential, RV, hospitality and commercial center master plan on unincorporated Yavapai County land west of I-17 and SR 169.

The company has requested Yavapai to rezone the site as a Planned Development Area from its current status as rural single-family residential.

According to the PAD request narrative, “The project will create the largest vineyard in the area supplying grapes to local wineries and to a new winery producing 20,000 cases per year of estate wines when up to full capacity. The location is ideal for needed highway oriented commercial retail; a quality Recreational Vehicle Resort; year round and vacation homes; all while providing a highly accessible location for a local winery and food experience with opportunities for wine tastings, festivals, and other events that can serve as a gateway to the Northern Arizona wine country.”

The developer claims project benefits will include:

A local food and wine attraction with statewide draw,
Providing commercial services in a critical transportation corridor,
Providing land for a future fire station in an underserved area,
Providing a variety of housing options,
Efficient water management and use,
Access to outdoor recreation in Prescott National Forest, and
Facilitating a new Arizona Public Service substation.
If the PAD is approved, the project will be developed in at least two phases. Phase I will focus on the area north of SR 169 and include half of the housing and planting half of the vineyard. All the primary infrastructure, including roadways and utilities, will be developed in Phase I. Final parcel configurations will be determined by market demand for each development unit.

Since the infrastructure investment will be significant and include the APS substation, public roads, an SR 169 connection, water and wastewater systems, Hunn is requesting that Yavapai County create a County Improvement District for infrastructure financing to facilitate the development.

Themes and Vision

Hunn describes its vision for the Cherry Road Vineyards Winery and Resort as “a destination within a destination region.” The location is surrounded on three sides by the Prescott National Forest. The vineyards and winery will make up the core of the development and serve as “an uplifting leisure experience.” The winery, dining area and shops will be the initial exposure upon entering the site, which then transitions to a less urban feel as residents and visitors travel farther south through the development, culminating in the resort living area and boutique resort at the site’s south end.

“With the rugged mountains to the south, vineyards to the north, and overlooking the Cienega Creek running thru the canyon below with its large mature cottonwood trees; the resort will present a beautiful peaceful venue for weddings, business retreats, family gatherings or romantic getaways from the busy Cities surrounding,” the narrative says.

Site Breakdown

A technical memorandum prepared by Waterworks Engineers and attached as an appendix to the PAD submittal gives a clear breakdown of the project as envisioned in early January.

The 68.3-acre North Area will feature:

Two fast food restaurants with drive-thru service,
A 100-room hotel or motel,
A high-turnover sit-down restaurant with a 250-person capacity,
A gas station with convenience store,
A fire and rescue station, and
A 380-space RV resort.
The 232.1-acre South Area consists of

A 20KSF shopping center,
A 100-person sit-down restaurant,
A second shopping center of 11KSF,
The 2KSF winery,
A 55-acre vineyard,
A resort hotel with 50 casitas and 50 standard rooms,
80 attached homes with eight units/acre, and
421 single-family homes with densities between 1.2 and four units/acre.
Hunn Development Company is the master developer. Land planning is through RVi Planning + Landscape Architecture. Survey and civil engineering duties are being performed by Shephard-Wesnitzer, Inc. Westwood Professional Services is handling drainage and water resource details. CivTech Inc is the traffic engineer, and Cuningham Architects is the design firm.

The request is scheduled to go before the Yavapai County Planning and Zoning Commission on June 16th.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 4:58 PM

I think this looks like a nice hotel but I can understand why locals dont want Prescott to get overbuilt they have a good thing going.

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...s-in-prescott/

Quote:
A plan for a boutique hotel on Whiskey Row that faced significant opposition last year has been redesigned and resubmitted to the Prescott Preservation Commission for consideration.

Owner/developer Jim Griset chose not to proceed to a vote last March with his plan for the Prescott Plaza Hotel in the face of opposition from the community and members of the Commission. The original proposal called for a six-story, 66-foot-tall building. More than 200 people attended a Commission meeting to express their concerns, some of which were echoed by members.

Complaints at the time included a lack of adherence to preservation guidelines; an overly large scale; parking issues, and potential negative impacts to surrounding businesses, public safety and residents’ “quality of life.”

The updated and resubmitted plan for the property at 136, 138 and 140 S. Montezuma Street now proposes a five-story, 48-foot building and the addition of brick to the building’s exterior and upper level. The elevator structure would actually reach 53 feet and require a special use permit. The existing building on the site would be demolished to make way for the new hotel.

The boutique hotel will feature 55 rooms with four king suites featuring private balconies facing the courthouse plaza, 45 king guest rooms, four handicapped-accessible rooms, a third-floor rooftop terrace with a wine bar, and three meeting rooms.

A retail shop and secondary entrance would be located in the rear of the hotel facing the alley on Whiskey Row.

The staff report accompanying the proposal says the revisions are an improvement from the original plan but that there are still issues that do not conform to the Courthouse Plaza Historic District guidelines, among other standards.

The Preservation Commission will meet July 14 for discussion only. No vote will be taken. Subsequent meetings regarding the plan could take place at the Preservation Commission, the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council. (Source)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 6:03 PM

I'm surprised the City may even consider this. That existing building from the front had some sort of poor renovation at some point years ago, but from the back alley you can see it's clearly an older historic building. I wouldn't think this would be a good precedent for Whiskey Row or the Courthouse Square and downtown Prescott in general. Some places, especially ones like Whiskey Row need to be saved and maintained.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 6:23 PM
Skyriser

I usually find NIMBY concerns about a 5 story building to be overblown to the point of ridicule, but I agree--this sets a really bad precedent for one of the state's most important historic areas.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 3:42 AM

Seems there is another version of the design for the hotel? This one is in AZCentral.com article posted this evening...

Speaking as a Prescottonian now I don't have an issue with it, but Im also a pro development guy.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 7:03 AM

Where have I been on this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Seems there is another version of the design for the hotel? This one is in AZCentral.com article posted this evening...

Speaking as a Prescottonian now I don't have an issue with it, but Im also a pro development guy.
Probably, because I'm not a big fan of Whiskey Row - didn't know about this. Just learned tonight. The only reason I walk on that stretch is to go to The Grumpy Sicilian - the best pizza. With all the bars - it gets too trashy, dirty, and too much smoking on the sidewalk (and too many tourist)- but, the pizza is the best. Bill's Pizza on the other side of the courthouse - is popular - just not for me. That is where they shot "Billy Jack" fifty years ago. I respect Whiskey Row - it is historic Arizona - like me. The Palace - with its bar - is the oldest original bar in the territory. I live due south - up high maybe, 400 feet higher about 1 to 2 miles as "the crow flies." So - I see it straight away. The lights of the street - the lights of the alley behind it. You can't really see the courthouse because of all of the trees - but, at xmas - the lights on the trees are real pretty. Later tonight, I'll see a lot of blue and red flashing from the cop cars.

I find it hard to believe that there will be an approval - the chaos and demo alone - would be a nightmare. Isn't Whiskey Row deemed historic. The owner would know what he was getting into when he bought the property. There is an election in a couple of weeks. Connie Cantelme is an incumbent and she is running. She has bought many houses over the years down there and has restored them. Not sure how she would vote on this. It took a long time - but, they did a real nice job with the new bistro in inside the St. Michael Hotel - right on the corner of Gurley and Montezuma - the far north end of Whiskey Row. Very pretty inside - dark wood, etc. The food is ok.

My concern is what is happening around the corner on Cortez between Gurley and Sheldon. All those antique stores. The owners tell me that some heirs of the DuPont family are buying up a lot of the properties and want to turn them into bars and restaurants. Not there.

Better opportunity: South of the corner of Goodwin and Montezuma - up to where Montezuma turns into Whitespar. They are starting to gentrify. They put that new restaurant on the southwest corner. They put a new commercial/retail with apartments on top - half way up Montezuma...and next door - they are gutting an old mini-mart. A new Hotel(?) all these Airstreams - unique place to stay. When they finish landscaping - should be nice. The best Mexican restaurant: Mayas - is on that stretch. Family owned and run. Small ...simple...great food. Just a few benches - order up ...no alcohol served (bring your own beer). The problem on that stretch: a few beat up trailer parks - and drug activity behind in the alley.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 7:25 PM

As someone who frequents Whiskey Row, I think this is a great idea as long as the front fascia conforms to the look of downtown. It's already a bit of a hodge podge down there so the height and slightly different lines aren't a huge issue. There simply aren't enough hotel rooms down there right now and many of the rooms available are too small and outdated so this would be a great addition. I recently stayed at the Grand Highland and really like the place but dang the rooms are tiny. The proposed balcony would be a particularly nice addition.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
As someone who frequents Whiskey Row, I think this is a great idea as long as the front fascia conforms to the look of downtown. It's already a bit of a hodge podge down there so the height and slightly different lines aren't a huge issue. There simply aren't enough hotel rooms down there right now and many of the rooms available are too small and outdated so this would be a great addition. I recently stayed at the Grand Highland and really like the place but dang the rooms are tiny. The proposed balcony would be a particularly nice addition.

The owner/ developer - if he really wants to do this ...probably will have to make a lot of concessions - to get approval. I don't know...but, this is like ground zero for historic Prescott. Do you know how many vehicles around here have stickers on them that say, "Don't California my Arizona." He would have to decide if he will make money on the project - or, the money he wants to make.

About a year or so ago...I was in the candy/fudge shop just adjacent - south of that new BBQ restaurant on the corner of Goodwin and Montezuma. I was speaking with the owner...and he stated that the talk...rumor...amongst other business owners on this stretch was/is that a new hotel is going to go on that empty lot on the southeast corner of Goodwin and Montezuma - between the chamber of commerce building and the Salvation Army building. So, I called planning at city hall. I spoke with some employee in the department. She stated that she knows nothing of this...no inquiries...no plans submitted, etc. Either she doesn't know...is not telling me...or, that is the correct info. However, that is what she told me.

That new Hilton Garden Inn on north Montezuma - where Sheldon ends - I think that was tastefully done. Red brick and the bridge over the creek to that (What the) Sam Hill event center - is well done. One of the employees stated - awhile back - that the owner was planning on putting those white lights strung along the creek, etc. That would look nice. The lobby/ registration area - wow...very uber contemporary (i.e. - no warmth!). The Hassayampa Inn - it is not.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 4:04 PM

That BBQ place on the SWC is really really good. I'm just kind of surprised the City allowed them to place a bunch of huge smokers outside right on the corner of the Montezuma/Goodwin intersection. With the right breeze it can smoke out the whole area.

MiEncanto - I disagree... I still think it is a bad precedent to allow for a historic building to be demolished for something new on Whiskey Row or really anywhere around the Square. Having a front fascia "matching" the area is not a good concession and will always look new rather than historic. If this is allowed, what would stop the owner of The Palace to tear it down and put in a slightly larger building with a fake historic front facade?

If anything, the City should do one of those historic facade restoration programs like the City of Tucson has (this specific building we're talking about could benefit from that). And then allow and promote new developments in the downtown area on empty lots that are tasteful and fit in (i.e. no 15 story glass boxes).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
That BBQ place on the SWC is really really good. I'm just kind of surprised the City allowed them to place a bunch of huge smokers outside right on the corner of the Montezuma/Goodwin intersection. With the right breeze it can smoke out the whole area.

MiEncanto - I disagree... I still think it is a bad precedent to allow for a historic building to be demolished for something new on Whiskey Row or really anywhere around the Square. Having a front fascia "matching" the area is not a good concession and will always look new rather than historic. If this is allowed, what would stop the owner of The Palace to tear it down and put in a slightly larger building with a fake historic front facade?

If anything, the City should do one of those historic facade restoration programs like the City of Tucson has (this specific building we're talking about could benefit from that). And then allow and promote new developments in the downtown area on empty lots that are tasteful and fit in (i.e. no 15 story glass boxes).
You can't seriously compare that existing building to The Palace. Slippery slopes don't make for good arguments. Every project should be judged for the situation. And the current building is a dump and are not particularly historic- just old. I wouldn't support taking down any old building of course. And I wouldn't support any development down there unless the new building comported with the historic feel. This project appears to be providing a necessary asset to downtown. Of course I would want to see the final plans but I don't think the baseline position should be hostility.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 7:52 PM

Quote:
You can't seriously compare that existing building to The Palace. Slippery slopes don't make for good arguments. Every project should be judged for the situation. And the current building is a dump and are not particularly historic- just old.
In a significant historic area, and specifically Whiskey Row, I think any tear down is a bad idea and a path that should not be followed. The current building is not in great shape, but it could be with the right restoration.

Quote:
I wouldn't support taking down any old building of course. And I wouldn't support any development down there unless the new building comported with the historic feel. This project appears to be providing a necessary asset to downtown. Of course I would want to see the final plans but I don't think the baseline position should be hostility.
I don't think any new-builds or other modern buildings that aren't actually historic have any type of "historic feel" any more than the New York, New York hotel in Vegas looks like the real New York City. You can easily see by this building itself. The new-ish brick facade it has was probably meant to fit in with the historic Whiskey Row feel when it was modernized, but it just looks like crap. You really think some new build will fit in, and further that the owner would actually spend over an above to use all the best materials and craftsmen to make it look perfectly historic (as impossible as that would be)?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 7:59 PM
Skyriser

I know I've got a good case to stand on when I rely on all the NIMBY platitudes.

This "project" isn't actually a thing. You can't build a hotel on this small a parcel of land in 2023 and have it be profitable. I know it's not the domain of zoning boards to make business decisions on the behalf of rezoning applicants, but any planning commissioner should see through an entitlement case that has zero practical public benefit and is clearly a developer land grab.

It's also NIMBY nonsense to presume a snowball effect, but this looks like the exact sort of thing that leads to overzoning in a delicate area and all its accordant vacancies, demolitions, and land banking.

Prescott would do well to turn this down.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 8:56 PM

Quote:
I don't know how many times I've driven by that restaurant - and had to quickly roll up my window...to try and avoid the smoke. I have thought the same thing - about city approval. They took a long time to build that place...and surely spent a lot of money. Maybe, the city was so grateful ... they looked the other way. I will admit, when I first moved here - I remember being so pleased that I don't have to do a smog check anymore. Don't get me wrong - not saying I don't care about clean air...just being honest. I don't think I ever failed a smog check...so, I don't think I'm a bad polluter. My punishment: getting behind a truck here that really is emitting the bad stuff - see it...feel it... taste it.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 9:55 PM

Maybe they are able to have smokers outside per zoning code, I'm not saying I can't believe it was approved. Mostly that they right on the busy hard corner of the intersection. The smokers should have been placed to the far west side of the property behind the building. I imagine the restaurant likes them in the most visible/olfactory location to drum up business, even if it might sometimes have the opposite effect.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Maybe they are able to have smokers outside per zoning code, I'm not saying I can't believe it was approved. Mostly that they right on the busy hard corner of the intersection. The smokers should have been placed to the far west side of the property behind the building. I imagine the restaurant likes them in the most visible/olfactory location to drum up business, even if it might sometimes have the opposite effect.
Anyone turned OFF by the smell of a barbecue smoker is clearly NOT a fan of the food. Otherwise, that is a mouthwatering smell!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 8:22 PM

Drove through Flagstaff this weekend - noticed a small and a larger tower crane on the south side of town. Northwest-ish of the 17/40 interchange. What project are these for?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 7:06 PM
E pluribus unum

I think some new dorms are being constructed, or off-campus housing? I can't remember.

They're also doing a massive restructuring of Milton and Beulah to University to accommodate for traffic. I'm dreading the day when that In-N-Out opens.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 7:45 AM

Whiskey Row Hotel

[QUOTE=HX_Guy;9992307]Seems there is another version of the design for the hotel? This one is in AZCentral.com article posted this evening...

Spoke with Assistant (Deputy) City Manager (Goodman)this afternoon. The Preservation Commission rejected the latest proposal at their meeting this morning. I don't know what was in the staff report.

If this owner/ developer has any hope of succeeding to build this hotel - he better start (if he hasn't already done so) meeting with individual city council members to gauge where they are...get their input...try to please/work with them, etc. They have the final say - and they don't have to adhere to the commission's recommendation. They can vote anyway they want to (AND THEY ALWAYS DO).

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 8:52 AM
Skyriser

A competent developer would have read the writing on the wall and walked away before he even started. A city council person who's not corrupt is going to tell the same guy that the people who hate this project are the same people who vote for him and tell the developer to pound sand.

The Flagstaff project looks like Park Place Flagstaff, which I have deduced from the one of six potential "vertical mixed use" projects here.

https://www.flagstaff.az.gov/3474/De...Status-Reports

Flagstaff really doesn't get enough credit for popping up these very dense 4 - 6 story apartment blocks in all these random spots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest