Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 9:21 PM

Post Surprise: "Suburban Urban"

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...lage10Z20.html

Village near stadium likely soon

Erin Zlomek
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 10, 2007 12:00 AM

A 69-acre compound, replete with specialty retail shops beneath 200 loft-style apartments, a 14- to 16-screen movie theater, office condominiums and other amenities, is expected to go up near Surprise Stadium by January 2009.

At its last meeting, the Surprise City Council approved an infrastructure agreement with Millennium Properties & Development Inc. of Las Vegas to build Surprise Stadium Village. The project, bounded by Bell Road, Bullard Avenue, Paradise Lane and Parkview Place, will neighbor the city's future 25-court Tennis and Racquet Complex and the stadium,which is the Cactus League's spring training home to the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals. The developer has sold all but 5 acres of the development for individual projects that city planners hope will soon become "downtown Surprise."

"The goal is for Surprise to become a tourist destination," city spokesman Ken Lynch said. "This is going to create an environment that gives the stadium that buzz and vibrancy that places like Tempe and Scottsdale have achieved." advertisement

The project has various components:

• Crestone Cos. bought a 17-acre strip, visible from Bell Road, with plans to build the project's retail space and apartments. Tentatively, "The Shops at Stadium Village" will consist of 104,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space, excluding the movie theater. Restaurants and storefronts will open out to a hometown-style "Main Street," and two separate 10,000-square-foot pads are available for stand-alone restaurants. Crestone designated a nearby 5-acre section for the movie theater, though a deal with a major theater company has not yet been reached.

Prospective restaurant tenants include a steakhouse, a microbrewery, a sports bar, a French bistro, a wine bar and a Chinese restaurant. Prospective retail tenants include clothing and sporting goods stores and a day spa.

The loft apartments are designed to include 12- to 14-foot ceilings with exposed ductwork, expansive windows, a pool, outdoor cooking and exercise facilities.

Altogether, the project is estimated to cost $51.2 million.

City economic development director John Hagen compares the strip to north Phoenix's Kierland Commons at Scottsdale Road and Greenway Parkway.

"Kierland Commons is the analogy for it, but it will have its own distinctive look and feel," he said.

• Shea Commercial bought 12 acres on the compound's west side to accommodate a cluster of office condominiums. The project will face "The Shops at Stadium Village."

• Residential projects are planned for 35 acres on the compound's southwestern side. The area has the potential for up to 1,200 units, according to a report done by Crestone Cos.

United Dominion Realty Trust will acquire 16.5 acres of the residential area, but has not yet disclosed its construction plans.

Land Consulting and Development of Scottsdale plans to build "The Lofts at Parkview Place" on 6.5 acres of the area. Developer Jon Jackson described the project as a high-end town home complex. Each three-story, loft-style home is designed to include a rooftop patio, balconies on the second and third floors, and a two-car garage. Jackson said he plans to break ground July 1 and that the community should take anywhere from 18 to 24 months to complete.

• Other parts of the development include a Holiday Inn Express & Suites hotel which is under construction, and a branch of a regional bank. Developers of the Holiday Inn said they will decide by February whether to build a second hotel, likely a Marriott.

City planners expected development around the stadium to settle in five years after the venue was built in 2002. However setbacks in planning for infrastructure delayed construction, said Jim Wilcox of Millennium Properties. Infrastructure construction for Surprise Stadium Village was originally scheduled to begin last October. Wilcox said that he now expects it to begin in February.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 2:44 AM

Just an update on the Districts at Zanjero:

Looking at the lease plan on the website, it appears that the large majority of the retail and restaurants have planned occupants.

The retail list includes:

Lenscrafters
Sportsfan
Pac Sun
Urban Outfitters
Z Gallery
Gymboree
Bellini
Talbots/Talbots for Kids
Chico’s
Ann Taylor
Victoria’s Secret
White House, Black Market
Steve Madden
The Limited
Express
Be Be
Mac Cosmetics
Lucy Active Wear
BCBG Max Azria
American Eagle
Tommy Hilfiger
Kenneth Cole
Lucky Brand
Abercrombie
Gap/Gap Kids/Baby Gap
Limited Too
Banana Republic
Sephora
Zara
Sunglass Hut
Tommy Bahama
Crate & Barrel
Restoration Hardware
Williams Sonoma
J. Crew
Coach
Jos Bank
Polo/Club
Apple Computers
Sharper Image
Bath & Body Works
Borders
Dolce Salon and Spa

The restaurant list includes:

Jamba Juice
Starbucks
Kona Grill
BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse
Tuscan Grille
Champp’s
Lucille’s BBQ
Haagen Dazs

Lease Plan:

http://www.districtsatzanjero.com/PDF/LeasePlan.pdf

Renderings of the office buildings:

http://www.districtsatzanjero.com/PD...fice112006.pdf

Renderings of the retail shops with residential above:

http://www.districtsatzanjero.com/PD...11x17small.pdf

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 7:28 PM

Westgate 2-19-07

On my trip to Phoenix last week I spent an hour at Westgate and took these photos. There are only a few things open but there were workers all over the place, getting it ready to go. The entrance to the hockey arena is on the south side of the main plaza. The Renaissance hotel and conference center is to the west. The movie theater plaza opens up from a pedestrian corridor extending north from the main plaza. There is a small, flush interactive fountain in the theater plaza. It has a cool pattern made with stained concrete as its floor. My son wanted to run through it but it was too cool out and we were on our way back to California. The kids will love this in the summer. There are some nice urban-feeling areas that are more on a human scale. The main plaza is immense and is definately going for the WOW factor, especially at night. The huge curved billboards dominate the scene. The fountains in the main plaza take up about a third of the footprint and will be spectacular. They will be a major draw in themselves. There is color everywhere, which I found a refreshing change. There is also some nice architectural detail like the oriental 3-D brick accents around the Coffee Plantation (reminiscent of Frank Lloyd). The benches that zig-zag along the entire length of the main plaza fountains are beautiful ...both art and seating. The football stadium is just across the street to the south, so I threw in some pics of that as well. I hope you enjoy. It's been some time since there was a post on the West Side thread.

There's gonna be one bodacious SUPER BOWL party in that plaza next year...can you just see it!

Last edited by JimInCal; Feb 25, 2007 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 8:21 PM

Awesome pictures

Nice Pictures from Westgate
You gotta love the Valley of the Sun

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 2:14 AM
-_-

nice pics, but that statue is just bizarro.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 2:58 AM
BANNED

so does anyone know about a carl strauss opening in the west valley?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 5:10 AM

Karl Strauss

John,

That would be a great addition to the Phoenix area restaurant and brewery scene. I work in Carlsbad (N. San Diego County), about three miles from a Karl Strauss. They have great food and some of the better micro-brews I've had. Their amber lager is one of my favorite beers. As far as I know, a Phoenix area establishment would be the first expansion outside of San Diego County (with the exception of one at Universal Studios Citywalk). I've taken friends and family from Phoenix to Karl Strauss in Carlsbad and they loved it.

http://www.karlstrauss.com/

Last edited by JimInCal; Mar 6, 2007 at 5:13 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 7:25 AM
BANNED

I agree it is a neat place, and I've heard rumors of one opening in the west valley, but no specifics.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 5:03 PM

^I could be wrong but I think that's and image of Pat Tillman.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 5:38 PM

When will the developers here in the Valley of the SUN learn the value of shade trees!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 8:50 PM

CANUC, that is the memorial statue of Pat Tillman who was killed by friendly fire in Afghanistan. I think it is a fitting portrait of him. He was a very passionate player. I remember watching him on defense for the Sun Devils years ago. He was a little guy by football standards, especially for a defensive player, but big in heart. The fact that he made it the NFL is testament to his grit and determination. I certainly don't want to get at all political as I am looking just at the man. He gave up a promising NFL career to do what he thought was right. Many may not agree with his decision but I admire his character greatly in a time when so many live just for themselves.

sundevilgrad, Westgate has a lot of shade structures scattered throughout. I think they want to leave the main plaza more open for event space. The big palms are useless for shade but nice architecturally. The smaller plaza outside the movie theaters has some nice tree plantings and will be more park-like when more mature.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 9:58 PM

Quote:
CANUC, that is the memorial statue of Pat Tillman who was killed by friendly fire in Afghanistan.
Yeah, I know his story. Along with all with the attention he drew with departure from the NFL and tragic death. I also saw an expose on Real Sports with Bryant Gumble in which they delved into the details surrounding the incident and unfortunate handling of the subsequent facts.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInCal View Post
On my trip to Phoenix last week I spent an hour at Westgate and took these photos. There are only a few things open but there were workers all over the place, getting it ready to go. The entrance to the hockey arena is on the south side of the main plaza. The Renaissance hotel and conference center is to the west. The movie theater plaza opens up from a pedestrian corridor extending north from the main plaza. There is a small, flush interactive fountain in the theater plaza. It has a cool pattern made with stained concrete as its floor. My son wanted to run through it but it was too cool out and we were on our way back to California. The kids will love this in the summer. There are some nice urban-feeling areas that are more on a human scale. The main plaza is immense and is definately going for the WOW factor, especially at night. The huge curved billboards dominate the scene. The fountains in the main plaza take up about a third of the footprint and will be spectacular. They will be a major draw in themselves. There is color everywhere, which I found a refreshing change. There is also some nice architectural detail like the oriental 3-D brick accents around the Coffee Plantation (reminiscent of Frank Lloyd). The benches that zig-zag along the entire length of the main plaza fountains are beautiful ...both art and seating. The football stadium is just across the street to the south, so I threw in some pics of that as well. I hope you enjoy. It's been some time since there was a post on the West Side thread.

There's gonna be one bodacious SUPER BOWL party in that plaza next year...can you just see it!

shade???? one of the big reasons why I like tempe so much better

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 11:55 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Plant some shade trees you dumb dicks!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 7:23 AM

Developers Ellman, Burton take different approaches

Scott Wong
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 20, 2007 12:00 AM

Steve Ellman and Rick Burton are your typical next-door neighbors: Behind all the smiles and pleasantries, they're still fierce competitors.

The two real estate heavyweights are constructing mammoth projects just north of University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale that together will total more than 10 million square feet.

However, their approaches to these developments differ greatly.

Ellman, who is building the Westgate retail and entertainment district, which includes Jobing.com Arena, has steered the first phase of his half-square-mile complex from conception to completion. He now is moving on to leasing and management.

Meanwhile, Burton, who assembled the nearby 150-acre Zanjero project, anchored by outdoors outfitter Cabela's, has gradually relinquished control as he sells off individual pads to retailers, restaurants, hotels and other developers.

It's a question facing developers across the Valley: Should you sell and turn a quick profit or hold on for the long term in hopes that returns are higher over time?

There are other tradeoffs, as well.

In 2002, the Glendale City Council signed off on an agreement that outlines the conceptual blueprints for Westgate City Center. But it calls for the Ellman Cos., which is developing the 223-acre project, to seek city approval for any major changes along the way.

That has given Ellman greater day-to-day control over Westgate, but it means he often is faced with more red tape. Westgate's first businesses opened two years behind schedule, partly because of planning delays.

Ellman's decision to build and manage Westgate's commercial core is a high-stakes gamble, yet one he believes will yield greater dividends in the future.

"There's a lot more profit in what I do and a lot more risk," he said in a recent interview. "But I don't consider developing property risky if it's in the path of growth."

During the planning stages for Zanjero, Burton said, he played a crucial role in developing the layout, mix of land uses and overall character of the project.

Burton and city planners put their heads together to create a 100-page booklet of design guidelines governing everything from what kinds of trees to plant to color palettes. That has helped projects zip through the Glendale Planning Department whenever Burton's Rightpath Limited Development Group sells off individual pads. The sales guarantee him a quicker return on his money, minimizing his risk.

"Our approach is not to go it alone . . . but team up with other developers who specialize in office, retail and hotels," said Burton, who also owns property south of University of Phoenix Stadium and plans to build a ballpark village around Glendale's proposed Cactus League facility. "You get the best of the best."

Ellman's fingerprints

Ellman, too, has sold pieces of his Westgate to private companies and developers. AMC Theatres built a 20-screen cineplex that anchors the northern end of the center. Trammel Crow Residential is constructing two upscale townhouse and apartment projects just east of the hockey arena. To the west, John Q. Hammons Hotels Inc. is finishing work on a 320-room Marriott Renaissance hotel.

But Ellman's fingerprints are all over the project's most striking feature: Westgate's first half-million square feet, accented by vibrant color schemes, Times Square-style billboards and a Bellagio-inspired fountain.

Over time, Ellman believes, the entire sports and entertainment hub will come to be known as "Westgate."

"I am hoping the Westgate name prevails like Biltmore and Kierland. It should," said Ellman, who was instrumental in bringing the Phoenix Coyotes to Glendale, a move that eventually helped land a new Arizona Cardinals stadium in town.

"(Westgate's) the engine, the economic nucleus that created the driver of economic opportunity around the West Valley," he said.

Burton began buying up land along the Loop 101 corridor as the hockey arena and Westgate began taking shape.

Today, he has sold every parcel, large and small, at Zanjero.

Cabela's and a Cracker Barrel restaurant already have opened. Apartment projects and four hotels are under construction. Still left to be developed: two more hotels, a Native New Yorker restaurant, a 315,000-square-foot office park and an upscale urban village whose tallest buildings could tower 21stories.

Friendly rivalry

The two Phoenix developers share a friendly rivalry, perhaps more pronounced in this industry of enormous wealth, big machinery and even bigger egos.

Ellman characterizes Burton as a "land speculator" who "typically doesn't build anything higher than a curb." Burton prefers to view his company as Zanjero's "master developer," which has paid for roughly half of the cost of the project's roads, utilities and other infrastructure.

Burton takes pride in the fact that Cabela's broke ground long after Westgate, yet opened last summer - three months ahead of schedule.

Despite their competitive nature, the two businessmen said they have a mutual respect and understand the symbiotic relationship between their projects.

"Westgate and Zanjero use different approaches but, in the end, provide attractive, quality places to live, work and play in Glendale," said Brian Friedman, a city planner who oversees projects in Glendale's sports and entertainment hub at Loop 101 and Glendale Avenue.

"I appreciate both styles. There is a place for both."

LINK: http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...velop0320.html

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 7:25 AM

Westgate poised to get more hotels
Scott Wong
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 19, 2007 12:05 PM

The developer of Westgate City Center said Monday that up to three more hotels, totaling up to 450 rooms, will be built at the Glendale shopping and entertainment complex.

The Ellman Cos. of Phoenix sold a 9-acre parcel, just west of Jobing.com Arena and the Marriott Renaissance hotel project, to the North Central Group, a Wisconsin-based hotel developer, owner and operator.

The group's first hotel, a 149-room Hampton Inn & Suites, broke ground this month and will be completed in December. Other hotels at Westgate, located at Loop 101 and Glendale Avenue, will be developed over the next several years.

The Hampton Inn would bring to six the number of hotels around University of Phoenix Stadium that are expected to be open for the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and Super Bowl XLII in early 2008.

"By adding additional hotel rooms, especially in time for the Super Bowl at the stadium next door, we are yet again validating Westgate as the new commercial city center for retail, entertainment, sports, and office uses in the West Valley," Steve Ellman, president and CEO of his eponymous company, said in a statement Monday.

Construction is under way on two Marriott hotels - a 126-room Residence Inn and 120-room SpringHill Suites - at the heart of the adjacent Zanjero project. The projects are to open in October. Two more hotels, a 96-room Holiday Inn Express and 116-room Staybridge Suites, are undergoing grading just south of the Marriott projects. They are expected to open by December. Another 200-room hotel is planned at the nearby Districts at Zanjero urban village.

Meanwhile, Westgate's Marriott Renaissance hotel, which calls for 320 rooms and an 80,000-square-foot conference center, will be finished in September.

North Central Group developed, owns and manages the Hilton Garden Inn at Scottsdale North Perimeter Center.

In a statement, Jeff Lenz, the group's executive vice president of development, called Westgate "one of the most dynamic developments" in the Valley.

"With the growing corporate, leisure, sports and entertainment venues occurring at Westgate, we are confident the Hampton Inn & Suites is the hotel brand best suited to meet the needs of Westgate patrons and the West Valley," he said.

For information about Westgate, visit www.westgateaz.com.

LINK: http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...otel19-ON.html

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Goodyear to annex 67 square miles
Lynh Bui
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 28, 2007 12:00 AM

Goodyear just got bigger.

The City Council recently approved the annexation of 67 square miles south of Patterson Road.

The land is almost the same size as Washington, D.C., and is expected to boast a master-planned community larger than Buckeye's Verrado.

Scottsdale-based Montage Holdings holds about 10,000 acres in the area and plans to develop the project, called Amaranth.

The annexed land also includes the small community of Mobile, which is home to fewer than 100 residents.

Goodyear officials hope that annexing the land will allow the city to preserve a path for the future leg of Loop 303.

The city and developers are now working to establish basic city services in the area, including police and fire protection.
Wow, it just keeps on spreading in every direction.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 7:33 AM

Why is this even a thread?? Does anyone here ACTUALLY get excited about the West Valley?? Gee - What could be greater than a Starbucks next to an AMC movie theater?? And all painted in Crayola colors. This is exactly what we need in Arizona - another mall. Woudn't it be fun to blind fold a friend, drive them to Westgate, and have them guess if they are in A) Tempe Marketplace B) Desert Ridge or C) Westgate??

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JI5 View Post
Why is this even a thread?? Does anyone here ACTUALLY get excited about the West Valley?? Gee - What could be greater than a Starbucks next to an AMC movie theater?? And all painted in Crayola colors. This is exactly what we need in Arizona - another mall. Woudn't it be fun to blind fold a friend, drive them to Westgate, and have them guess if they are in A) Tempe Marketplace B) Desert Ridge or C) Westgate??
JI5: HAH...it's a Coffee Plantation, not a Starbucks. I think there's a thread because 1million+ people live west of Central Avenue and finally have some development going on that doesn't require them to drive 30-60 minutes to experience. The Westgate area is going to be a big deal in the not-too-distant future. There is a major hotel and conference center opening soon, restaurants, stores, offices, lofts, townhomes, not to mention an enormous fountain with a nod to Vegas. Next year, arguably the biggest event in US sports will be held next door....you know the Super Bowl!. There also is a second major league sports venue incorporated into Westgate. There are buildings for two of the four major sports leagues in this country a stone throw from each other. So yeh, I can see why some poor, backward West-siders are excited about stepping out from the shadows of their brethren from the central and easterm parts of town. I grew up mostly in Northwest Phoenix and Glendale, so I have an interest in the West Side and most things related to development in metro Phoenix in its entirety. If you're not interested, don't read the thread. I'm sure there are plenty who are. A very legitimate thread in my humble, prior-west-side-scum opinion.

Last edited by JimInCal; Mar 29, 2007 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 8:36 PM
BANNED

It looks like a movie set. Or maybe a giant Arizona Center. Or perhaps just plain ridiculous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest