HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 11:40 PM

Skyscrapers You're Most Excited to Watch Rise

I was thinking about the skyscrapers I'm most excited to see rise this year, and thought it could be a fun topic for discussion. For me, the skyscrapers under development I care most about are in places where skyscraper development is not all that common. New tower construction in these places will have far greater impacts than another new tower going up in Chicago/Toronto/NYC. Striking design can be another factor, though for me that is largely secondary.

That said, here are the top 5 (in no particular order) skyscrapers I'm most excited to see rise this year:

1) Sherwin Williams HQ, Cleveland

2) Hudson Tower, Detroit

3) Couture, Milwaukee

4) Astra, Salt Lake City

5) FNB Tower, Pittsburgh

Honorable Mention: 520 Mateo, Los Angeles (Arts District)

I'm curious to see your lists, SSP! Let's pick skyscrapers that are actively under construction, and that will be somewhat near structural completion by the end of the year. I'd add the 60 story Olympic and Hill tower in LA to my list, but it's still just at the excavation stage, and probably won't be too exciting to watch until 2024.

Last edited by edale; Feb 9, 2023 at 1:05 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 12:11 AM

I say 725 West Randolph in Chicago, only if it becomes the rumored Chase tower. If Chase does indeed to decide to move into this proposed tower, I would expect modifications to the design into something else, and it could boot the building into construction more quickly as opposed to being just another office proposal.

https://www.related.com/our-company/...725-w-randolph

But that's a big IF

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 4:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

in additon to all those exciting new towers going up in rust-belt cities that were mentioned in the first post, as a hardcore chicago homer, i'm also highly anticipating the topping out of 1000M in chicago later this year.

yeah, yet another 800-footer in chicago's mighty skyline isn't always a super huge deal, but the placement of this one on the south grant park michigan ave. street wall will be very impactful in terms of tying the burgeoning south loop skyline back into the collective greater downtown skyline.

additonally, this will be the tallest tower that helmut jahn ever designed for his adopted hometown, and its "forever" visibilty overlooking grant park will give a very fitting lasting skyline legacy to perhaps the greatest chicago architect of the late 20th century.

jahn left a very impressive collection of his towers in downtown chicago, but none of them were ever tall enough to break out of the dense loop forest and command attention on the skyline.

1000M will rightfully change that.

rendering:

current progress:

source: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=2401

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 5:23 PM

1000M is another one I'm excited about too. It's going to have a huge impact on that South Loop area, and really give some gravitas to that southern portion of Chicago's skyline.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:07 PM
Registered Ugly

Hudson's for sure.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:36 PM
DENNAB

There are some good buildings going up in the US right now but the ones that excite me most are probably 270 Park or the new tallest towers of Miami and Austin.

As far as others they aren't U/C yet, some sites on the Chicago river all getting filled (400LSD, Parcel I and Tribune East) would be super exciting.

In NY seeing 2WTC or 175 Park Avenue be built would be just amazing.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:43 PM

For me, it's easily 270 Park Ave; the devil is in the details, but it has the potential to be the best looking high rise built in the US...ever. I just love the design.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:16 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
For me, it's easily 270 Park Ave; the devil is in the details, but it has the potential to be the best looking high rise built in the US...ever. I just love the design.
It really has it all (except for maybe an annoyingly low floor count). We should see glass any day now too!

In a huge, wealthy country like the US, it's hard to be that excited about buildings below 300m (or 400m in NY or Chicago) unless they're a new tallest in a small city by quite a margin.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:54 PM

Until it topped out, it was 9 DeKalb in Brooklyn for me.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 11:19 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Nice pics, edale. I've never seen those before.

I'll admit, I don't really follow building proposals outside of my little bubble these days, so my choice are all from Metro Vancouver.

Sen̓áḵw Project

A massive 5000 condo project near Burrard Bridge across from downtown. Work has started on it.

Oakridge Park is another massive development that well underway

70 storey (yet to be named) tower in Metrotown

Passive House

And finally, this odd duo in downtown Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 1:28 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Skyscrapers I’m excited to watch construction?

None if they’re commercial office buildings.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:28 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
None if they’re commercial office buildings.
Seconded. The future of office is cloudy so these are just cannibilizing other structures.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 10:01 PM

270 Park in Manhattan is probably the most exciting and 'iconic' building in the making currently in the USA. I worked in the old 270 when I was with JPMC, and it's crazy to me that they tore down that whole building to construct the new one.

Philly has plenty of imaginary proposals, but I think the most exciting one that could/should break ground by the end of the year is Brandywine's 3001 JFK. Big Red.
https://pau.studio/what/jfk-towers-at-schuylkill-yards/

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 2:27 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Seconded. The future of office is cloudy so these are just cannibilizing other structures.
Not necessarily. The new office towers have larger and more open floorplates, modern technology and amenities that fit modern business needs. No company that needs Class A office space is going to move somewhere solely because of the amount of available space. Yes, they might not take up as much space but there’s still going to be a need - how much, that’s the question. In Cleveland, most of the historic office buildings have been converted to residential use, and that’s now starting to show up in some of the 60s/70s and 80s towers.

As mentioned above, seeing the new Sherwin Williams building go up is something we’ve been waiting to see for over 30 years. One of the largest parking lot craters in downtown being replaced with a tower that will require all the tee shirt stores to update their inventory? Yes please! Outside of Cleveland, I’m liking 270 Park and Hudson Tower.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 2:57 PM

For me, it’s the Hudson Tower, as I can watch it rise up, while comfortably sitting out on my rooftop terrace here in Windsor. So far I can only see the crane sticking up abound the skyline, but should be able to see the actual building itself soon.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 9:29 PM
Never Dell

Residential conversions can be very difficult to pencil, particularly in seismic zones. If the building dimensions and structural type aren't within certain parameters they can be practically impossible. I'm hearing that they really only work if the building is dirt cheap due to a lack of office potential. There are very few cases in the Seattle area.

New buildings do appear to be cannibalizing existing ones, without an easy path out in many cases.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 9:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ that sounds more like a seismic area problem because I couldn't even begin to tell you how many outmoded pre-war office buildings in Chicago have been converted to residential and/or hotel.

Even some mid-century office tower conversions now too.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 11, 2023 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 9:25 PM

Any others? It feels like we're in a national down period for skyscraper construction. Outside of the usual suspects (NYC, Miami, Chicago, increasingly Philly) there isn't much of note u/c outside of the towers I listed in my first post.

BTW, this doesn't have to be limited to North America, either! Would love to see some skyscrapers in Australia, Africa, Europe, Asia that folks are excited about, too.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Any others? It feels like we're in a national down period for skyscraper construction. Outside of the usual suspects (NYC, Miami, Chicago, increasingly Philly) there isn't much of note u/c outside of the towers I listed in my first post.

BTW, this doesn't have to be limited to North America, either! Would love to see some skyscrapers in Australia, Africa, Europe, Asia that folks are excited about, too.
Boston's 677' South Station Tower is out of the ground and the toughest part, archways elevating it above the station waiting area, is done. It's about to shoot skyward as the final of 5 major towers in Boston's current boom.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 10:51 PM
E pluribus unum

Maybe/possibly Astra in Phoenix, which would be the city and state's new tallest building if constructed.

Also, the current tallest (Chase Tower/Valley Center) is being completely gutted and renovated. No idea yet on what the end result will be, but probably some combination of hotel, office and apartments/condos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions