HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 8:22 PM

Clearing seen from the West 1st side. I assume the poles are coming down, it doesn't seem that wide.

What's he deal with car lot full of Land/Range Rovers between this and the Molsons site. Are these all awaiting repair at MCL?

[IMG]sen2 by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 9:06 PM

Hopefully those power lines get buried as a part of this project. I'm not sure what they are supplying but this whole area will need substantial BC Hydro upgrades to say the least.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 7:16 PM

Lots of new (?) renderings here:

Opinion: Senakw is a step forward in Vancouver's journey of reconciliation
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/sena...reconciliation

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

Wow that's an interesting view of the setup on Burrard Bridge. I can't imagine that will be cheap or easy to do given the age of the bridge. Is that something that's included in the project or wishful thinking that the City would undertake?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Wow that's an interesting view of the setup on Burrard Bridge. I can't imagine that will be cheap or easy to do given the age of the bridge. Is that something that's included in the project or wishful thinking that the City would undertake?
And I wonder what the lifespan of that bridge is? Despite all the work done on it when the bike lanes were installed you still can see that chunks seem to fall off.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

Looks better and better IMO.

From Revery Architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Should be fairly simple to add new structures to the side of the bridge, no need to completely rebuild the bridge.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
And I wonder what the lifespan of that bridge is? Despite all the work done on it when the bike lanes were installed you still can see that chunks seem to fall off.
The bike lanes installation, and the new railings were relatively superficial and followed nearly 10 years of seismic upgrades. There are new bearings, some significant structural strengthening, and repairs and strengthening of the concrete beams with fibre glass. The bridge also now has below deck walkways and maintenance platforms. Despite the upgrades, the design probably won't perform well in an earthquake, (the engineers say it's 'brittle'), so the expectation is that Burrard Street may not be available if the shock is severe.

Grandville and Cambie bridges are both getting significant seismic upgrades that ensure at least one span remains useable. There's a manual to help engineers determine if the bridges are OK to use after an earthquake. There shouldn't have been any lumps dropping off in the past couple of years since work was completed.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
For something built in the 1930's, I doubt very much you'll get more than a couple more decades from it even with regular maintenance and upgrades.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:16 PM

From the service agreement
Quote:
Design to be completed by Nation and approved by City subject to acceptability of a feasibility study, Traffic Assessment and Management Study, Transit and Access Study, and documents pertaining to bridge seismic, structural and geotechnical considerations outlined in Schedule K [Burrard Bridge and City Roads/Utilities Agreement], all to be provided by the Nation. Generally to include separate structures functionally integrated but structurally and seismically isolated from the Burrard Street Bridge that will provide additional effective width to the bridge deck and allow for bus stops and queuing/waiting areas to be implemented in both the northbound and southbound directions while maintaining the space for people walking and cycling on the bridge in a manner at least as functional and comfortable as today.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
For something built in the 1930's, I doubt very much you'll get more than a couple more decades from it even with regular maintenance and upgrades.
Unless there's significant damage from an earthquake, there's no reason the upgrades already completed, and continued maintenance shouldn't see it standing in 90 years time. The current capital plan includes complete concrete and building envelope repairs to the gallery towers, which are the last areas that haven't been restored or upgraded. There's no plan that includes replacement of the bridge.

Cambie Bridge actually had greater seismic deficiencies - and those are being addressed, as are those on Granville Bridge.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Unless there's significant damage from an earthquake, there's no reason the upgrades already completed, and continued maintenance shouldn't see it standing in 90 years time. The current capital plan includes complete concrete and building envelope repairs to the gallery towers, which are the last areas that haven't been restored or upgraded. There's no plan that includes replacement of the bridge.

Cambie Bridge actually had greater seismic deficiencies - and those are being addressed, as are those on Granville Bridge.
I'm only basing my opinion on the fact that the Ironworkers bridge, which was built more recently than this one (in '57), has an estimated lifespan by the Ministry of Transportation of another possible 44 years of usability before it needs to be replaced.

Quote:
"“[The ministry] anticipates that, with proper maintenance and regular rehabilitation, the Ironworkers bridge has probably up to 45 remaining years of serviceable life in it,” she (Bowinn Ma) said."
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/l...roject-3462200

Yes, they've had some upgrades recently on Burrard, but none of those were of the level of modern Seismic standards requirements of modern construction.

I'm doubtful that this bridge has a longer remaining lifespan than that of one that was built almost 30 years after it, without the benefit of the kind of major retrofits that would require them to shut down large parts of it for long periods than the City would be comfortable doing.

And at what point is it just more cost-effective just to replace it?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I'm only basing my opinion on the fact that the Ironworkers bridge, which was built more recently than this one (in '57), has an estimated lifespan by the Ministry of Transportation of another possible 44 years of usability before it needs to be replaced.

Yes, they've had some upgrades recently on Burrard, but none of those were of the level of modern Seismic standards requirements of modern construction.
Obviously a new bridge would be built to different standards, but there's been a lot of work on the Burrard Bridge over 20 years - there are now teflon bearings, the steelwork underneath the skin has been strengthened where needed, and the concrete (which is just a skin, not the bridge's structure) has been repaired.

Quote:
I'm doubtful that this bridge has a longer remaining lifespan than that of one that was built almost 30 years after it, without the benefit of the kind of major retrofits that would require them to shut down large parts of it for long periods than the City would be comfortable doing.

And at what point is it just more cost-effective just to replace it?
The age of the bridge doesn't really tell you that much. Different designs can present different problems. After all the Pattullo Bridge was built after the Burrard Bridge, and that's been condemned and is being replaced. For example, in London, Westminster Bridge was opened in 1862, Blackfriars Bridge was completed in 1869 and Tower Bridge was completed in 1894. They're all fine.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Obviously a new bridge would be built to different standards, but there's been a lot of work on the Burrard Bridge over 20 years - there are now teflon bearings, the steelwork underneath the skin has been strengthened where needed, and the concrete (which is just a skin, not the bridge's structure) has been repaired.

The age of the bridge doesn't really tell you that much. Different designs can present different problems. After all the Pattullo Bridge was built after the Burrard Bridge, and that's been condemned and is being replaced. For example, in London, Westminster Bridge was opened in 1862, Blackfriars Bridge was completed in 1869 and Tower Bridge was completed in 1894. They're all fine.
All well and good, and obviously different construction scenarios and circumstances denote different lifespan conditions and necessity for maintenance (and the frequency of said maintenance).

Like for example the fact that London is not the seismically active zone that the Pacific West Coast is. Or of the same or similar wind strength conditions.

At the end of the day these structures are not built to last forever.
Even metal eventually corrodes and has to be either reinforced or replaced altogether.

But then again, I'm not an engineer.
Are you?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:30 AM

It also depends on the maintenance of the bridge and I think the type of traffic can play a role in how quickly the bridge can degrade.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:42 AM

The Lions Gate is still in one piece, isn't it? I highly doubt the Senakw bus bays would've survived at least three renders' worth of Westbank's value-engineering if they didn't plan on going ahead with them.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
The Lions Gate is still in one piece, isn't it? I highly doubt the Senakw bus bays would've survived at least three renders' worth of Westbank's value-engineering if they didn't plan on going ahead with them.
Partly because they replaced the decking structure in sections while keeping it open. I drove over it every day and it was, uh, interesting. Plus the cables were replaced at the same time.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:52 AM

Quote:
All well and good, and obviously different construction scenarios and circumstances denote different lifespan conditions and necessity for maintenance (and the frequency of said maintenance).

Like for example the fact that London is not the seismically active zone that the Pacific West Coast is. Or of the same or similar wind strength conditions.

At the end of the day these structures are not built to last forever.
Even metal eventually corrodes and has to be either reinforced or replaced altogether.

But then again, I'm not an engineer.
Are you?
No, I'm not an engineer, but in the past I read some of the engineering reports. Here's a link that includes a video that says the rehabilitation work is intended to be 'for decades to come'. It's certainly not intended that it should be replaced in a couple of decades, and it's also obviously one of the city's more important heritage landmarks (with all the lighting columns that were lost in the 1960s recently replaced, for example). as has been noted, if there was any suggestion that it wouldn't be retained for the long term the Senakw developers wouldn't waste their money designing and building a transit connection that will be adjacent to, but structurally separate from the bridge structure.

London isn't seismically active, but it doesn't need to be for bridges to need replacing, if they're poorly built. The 1831 London Bridge was sinking about 2.5 cm every eight years, and by 1924 the east side had sunk some 9 cm lower than the west side. The decision was taken to replace it in 1968, and it was dismantled and sold to an American who re-erected the 10,000 tons of facing stone on a new structure at Lake Havasu City, Arizona, which opened in 1971.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:40 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not an engineer, but in the past I read some of the engineering reports. Here's a link that includes a video that says the rehabilitation work is intended to be 'for decades to come'. It's certainly not intended that it should be replaced in a couple of decades, and it's also obviously one of the city's more important heritage landmarks (with all the lighting columns that were lost in the 1960s recently replaced, for example). as has been noted, if there was any suggestion that it wouldn't be retained for the long term the Senakw developers wouldn't waste their money designing and building a transit connection that will be adjacent to, but structurally separate from the bridge structure.

London isn't seismically active, but it doesn't need to be for bridges to need replacing, if they're poorly built. The 1831 London Bridge was sinking about 2.5 cm every eight years, and by 1924 the east side had sunk some 9 cm lower than the west side. The decision was taken to replace it in 1968, and it was dismantled and sold to an American who re-erected the 10,000 tons of facing stone on a new structure at Lake Havasu City, Arizona, which opened in 1971.

Well, "decades to come" is rather vague and a far cry from your originally suggested claim of 90 more years.
That's practically a century more, and again,....a far cry from "decades to come".

Furthermore, you also brought up Pattullo bridge, which was built in 1937 - five years after Burrard - so presumably within the same time-frame level of technology and technological know-how, even if possibly not to the same standards.

Pattullo was designed and built to have a 50 year lifespan, and thanks to the various maintenance efforts over the years, that 50 year lifespan was stretched by an additional 30 years before the engineering assessment report done on it found that it had only an additional 7 more years of usability in 2017 and recommended immediate replacement to mitigate to risk of any catastrophic failure despite any future retrofits.

Even if we assume that the 5 year older Burrard bridge was built and designed for a longer lifespan of double that of Pattullo and was designed for a 100 year usability,...
And if we further take it that the 20 or so odd years of retrofits it's had, and the structural maintenance and upgrades carried out on it have added another 30-40 years of usability to it's original mid-2030's end of natural lifespan timeline, it would still put it closer to needing replacement closer to when the Ironworks bridge own end date of about 2060-2070(-ish) is, rather than closer to the almost 100 years from now in the early 2100's.

Obviously this is all speculation on both our parts since there's a whole load of data that would need to be known to have a firmer idea on actual numbers, but going by what we already know of what already exists and the standards required for our zone, it's not an unreasonable speculation.

I know little of London's construction requirements and standards other than the fact as mentioned before that they're not in a seismically active zone, nor are in an area that experiences strong wind force and shear force pressure - both of which are not insignificant factors when it comes to how individual cities and locales set their standards and requirements for how buildings and structures are not only built, but should be maintained and also for how long their usability is determined.
Like for example the fact that Tokyo would naturally have higher structural design standards then even BC and the GVA given how much more seismically active a zone they're located in compared to ourselves, and as such it wouldn't be surprising to find that even though they construct structures (like bridges and overpasses) to higher standards, they also have shorter prescribed lifespans before needing replacement or just generally requiring more frequent maintenance retrofits.

It's part of the reason why I felt those examples from London weren't exactly useful.

I could give an example of a bridge constructed in a, for all intents and purposes, seismically inactive and dead zone, that's lasted for over 200 years.
Of what use is it to compare such a structure and its lifespan (and construction standards) to one that's built in a place like Florida that's perpetually hit by Hurricane gale wind forces, or one in Okinawa?

Or a bridge that's crossing sea water and perpetually exposed to corrosive brine versus one that crosses a freshwater river (like most of the Thames is)?

Different circumstances; different conditions; and ultimately different factors affecting how long it can be usable or needs replacing/maintenance and how often.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:55 PM

In 1932 my grandfather proposed to my grandmother on the bridge, so it has a special place in our family lore. If it ever gets repleaced I hope they are somehow able to keep it looking the same or similar.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Well, "decades to come" is rather vague and a far cry from your originally suggested claim of 90 more years.
That's practically a century more, and again,....a far cry from "decades to come".
Seriously? That's how anal you are? "Decades to come" is non-specific, but it fits perfectly with "another 90 years" - it's nine decades to be exact. I hope you're alive when they replace the Burrard Bridge. I bet neither of us will be though. (Unless an earthquake gets it sooner).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver