HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:44 AM
你的媽媽

Another city is sending residents Sacramento’s way (Spoiler: It’s not just SF)

Quote:
Another city is sending residents Sacramento’s way (Spoiler: It’s not just San Francisco)
Ryan Lillis
Wed, November 30, 2022 at 5:30 AM

Maybe it’s the weather. Or the fact that Sacramento has a reputation for being the closest thing you’ll find to a Midwestern city on the West Coast.

Either way, the capital region was once again the top destination for people searching for new homes outside their own city on Redfin over the past three months. And the top origin for those living outside of California was Chicago, the online real estate firm reported this week.

Sacramento was tops in the nation for net inflow, defined by Redfin as “the number of people looking to move into a metro minus the number of people looking to leave.” The region was followed by Las Vegas, Miami and San Diego.

The top origin city for Redfin users interested in moving here was San Francisco, as it has been for months. Seattle had been the top out-of-state origin throughout much of the pandemic, but was recently replaced by Chicago.

San Francisco is still at the top of Redfin’s list for cities where residents are looking to leave. It’s followed by other expensive coastal cities such as Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C.

The median home sale price in Chicago is just $328,000, compared to the Sacramento region median of around $550,000. But as autumn turns to winter, perhaps residents of Chicago are searching for warmer environments. Chicago had the sixth-highest net outflow of residents looking to leave their home cities, according to Redfin.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/another-c...133000235.html
Sactown doing work!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:49 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I could live in Sacramento. Good craft beer, laid back vibe and decent downtown area.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:51 AM

I was in the Sacramento area for Thanksgiving, and the growth in areas like Roseville and Rocklin is quite impressive.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:50 AM
Pay it Forward

I lived in Sacramento for 3 years--Granite Bay and then Arden Park, I really loved my time there.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:52 AM

Sacramento is the most unappealing major city in California. Bakersfield and Fresno are worse, but smaller.

Sacramento has a hardcore homeless issue. We're talking favela, semi permanent structures along the freeway onramps. In raw numbers, Sacramento has more homeless than SF.

The suburbs are fine, I guess. Extremely common, cookie cutter, lacking charm, lacking any beauty. It is by far the ugliest major metro in California. It is cheap, that is the only thing going for it. Otherwise, it's extremely bland and honestly-depressing.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 6:38 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Sacramento is uninhabitable in summer.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Having grown up in Sacramento and lived there for almost 30 years, this is comical! It's hot; but, it's not hot like that all day on the vast majority of days. It gets warmer and then hot in the afternoon; but, the mornings are usually relatively cool. It's also drier there than other parts of the country...so, the heat is much more bearable and manageable. If you haven't spent a summer in Sacramento and are only going off of your perception of what it's like from on paper or a short visit, your perception really isn't valid because you haven't lived it. You really do get used to it and it's not really that bad at all.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Sacramento is the most unappealing major city in California. Bakersfield and Fresno are worse, but smaller.

Sacramento has a hardcore homeless issue. We're talking favela, semi permanent structures along the freeway onramps. In raw numbers, Sacramento has more homeless than SF.

The suburbs are fine, I guess. Extremely common, cookie cutter, lacking charm, lacking any beauty. It is by far the ugliest major metro in California. It is cheap, that is the only thing going for it. Otherwise, it's extremely bland and honestly-depressing.
More trees per capita than almost any city in the WORLD and two beautiful rivers running through it...along with being one of the most diverse cities in the country (not just on paper; but, actually at the neighborhood/suburb level, too). Ugly? I don't know what you were looking at; but, I've never heard it described as ugly!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:21 PM

Pretty sure there's no way in hell that Sacramento has "more trees per capita than almost any city in the world". Sacramento has a semiarid climate, with a fraction of the rain of Eastern cities, so it would be really weird if it had some rainforest-like canopy.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Pretty sure there's no way in hell that Sacramento has "more trees per capita than almost any city in the world". Sacramento has a semiarid climate, with a fraction of the rain of Eastern cities, so it would be really weird if it had some rainforest-like canopy.
Sacramento's slogan literally is "City of Trees". I think you would be very surprised if you google photos and look at the street view of the city, how much of a tree canopy there is. It's looks very similar to Eastern cities.

Quote:
...there is evidence to suggest Sacramento is uniquely deserving of the title. An ongoing survey of more than two dozen international cities by researchers from M.I.T. found that Sacramento had among the densest tree canopies, beating out places like Seattle, Boston, Amsterdam and Paris.
Source: http://senseable.mit.edu/treepedia/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Sacramento's slogan literally is "City of Trees". I think you would be very surprised if you google photos and look at the street view of the city, how much of a tree canopy there is. It's looks very similar to Eastern cities.
Why would the city slogan matter? Is Detroit really "Super City USA"? Is Nashville really a "Magic City"?

And I've been there, and never noticed anything unique re. trees. Again, there's no way Sacramento has some globally unique tree canopy.

Also, there's nothing in that study that supports the claim, unless the new claim is that "Sacramento has a lot of trees, possibly more than Paris", which has nothing to do with the original claim.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

I'd be surprised if Sacramento actually has more trees per capita than Atlanta. That city is very low density for a major city and is almost quite literally in a forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Why would the city slogan matter? Is Detroit really "Super City USA"? Is Nashville really a "Magic City"?
Perhaps not, but Milwaukee is a "Genuine American City".

The others are all imposters

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 1, 2022 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
You really do get used to it and it's not really that bad at all.
This is the climatic version of a cliche; I can say the same thing about the winters here in Fairbanks.

I would still prefer Fairbanks' climate to stringing together triple digits in Sacramento.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Is Sacramento's climate the same as Fresno's? Fresno was scorching hot when I was there one summer. It felt just slightly milder than Las Vegas in the summer.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:48 PM

I'd like to visit Sacramento. Never been before, but I have a feeling I might like it. The downtown seems kinda meh from what I've heard/seen on streetview, but the urban grid is pretty impressive and extensive, and the tree canopy does seem to be robust. I get the sense there isn't a ton to do there, but I'd still like to visit. Maybe on the way to Tahoe sometime.

Neighborhoods like this and this seem very comfortable. Kind of East Bay/Portland vibes. It seems like a nice place to grow up or raise a family, and the people I've met from there have been nice and grounded and largely without pretense. I get why people would say it's like a Midwestern city on the West Coast. I have heard about the awful summer heat, though. Wouldn't love that...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 6:36 PM

Quote:
When I lived in San Francisco a zillion years ago (late 1970s), I used to go to Sacramento on a summer weekend, check into a motel, and soak up the heat and sunshine. I lived up in Noe Valley in SF where the chilly fog came rolling in every night in the summer. As a Texas native, I craved some summer heat. Sacramento was a cheap and adequate getaway. Back then it was a very sleepy city, and I found it kind of charming.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Neighborhoods like this and this seem very comfortable. Kind of East Bay/Portland vibes. It seems like a nice place to grow up or raise a family, and the people I've met from there have been nice and grounded and largely without pretense. I get why people would say it's like a Midwestern city on the West Coast. I have heard about the awful summer heat, though. Wouldn't love that...
The Fabulous Forties neighborhood in East Sacramento is as nice of a neighborhood as you'll find in any city. It has some beautiful Tudor homes with large trees.

https://www.visitcalifornia.com/expe...ulous-forties/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 6:50 PM

I went to grad school in Sacramento. I grew up in coastal Orange County and while Sacramento will never be confused for coastal Southern California or San Francisco, it does have some very nice attributes.

As noted above, yes, the summers are hot. I enjoy cycling and the trail along the American River is a treasure. It goes from downtown Sacramento northeast 25 miles to Folsom Lake. Sacramento is close to the gold country and the Sierras. Auburn and the other foothill towns are very scenic.

The city has a fun summer concert series at Cesar Chavez Park downtown. Also, as someone else noted, Sacramento is an incredibly diverse city.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 7:12 PM
Pay it Forward

Speaking from personal experience, people from the coast are put off by Sacramento as they drive thru because 80 and 5 only skirt the periphery(it's bizarre how DT Sac is literally on the edge of the urban area) and give off that 'cow town' vibe that comes to mind every time Sac comes up, and for sure, it's nowhere near as urban and crowded as the Bay Area or LA, but it's also much bigger and has a lot more going on than people think.

As far as the heat, it is definitely hellacious compared to the Bay Area, my parents refused to visit me in the summer because of the heat, and tbh I never quite got used to it, but I learned to live in it.

But, the city is incredibly diverse, has lots of really interesting restaurants, has a decent nightlife imo, and has a lot of nearby recreation, Tahoe, skiing, Napa Valley, rivers, etc. Oh and San Francisco is 90 miles away.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
As far as the heat, it is definitely hellacious compared to the Bay Area, my parents refused to visit me in the summer because of the heat, and tbh I never quite got used to it, but I learned to live in it.
But there's the Delta breeze...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions