HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 8:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Besides NYC and Chicago, no other USA city comes even close to top ten in the world. I mean just suggesting that I find funny.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 9:04 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Top skylines in the world:

1) Tromso
2) Norilsk
3) Murmansk
4) Novy Urengoy
5) Archangelsk
6) Fairbanks
7) Reykjavik
8) Trondheim
9) Yellowknife
10) Yakutsk

In North America:

1) Fairbanks
2) Yellowknife
3) Anchorage
4) Whittier
5) Juneau
6) Edmonton
7) Saskatoon
8) Calgary
9) Regina
10) Winnipeg

as expected, Canadian cities dominate NA

( might have screwed up, didn't do this rigorously )

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Besides NYC and Chicago, no other USA city comes even close to top ten in the world. I mean just suggesting that I find funny.
There are probably only 5 or 6 countries in the world that would have more than one city in the top 100 let alone the top 10. Three of those countries the U.S., Canada, and China.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 9:21 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
There are probably only 5 or 6 countries in the world that would have more than one city in the top 100 let alone the top 10. Three of those countries the U.S., Canada, and China.
For multiple entries in the top 100, I’d add Australia, India, Mexico, Brazil, and maybe South Africa, UK, or Germany, depending on who is doing the ranking. Even Russia only has Moscow.

You’re right, tho: not many countries have more than one impressive skyline, but that is partly a function of the fact that one city tends to dominate a country.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
if you want a US only discussion you have a forum for that. As we have a Canadian forum in which we discuss Canadian dominated topics. this forum is for everyone however.
I used to think you were being petty when you pointed this out, but you are absolutely right. This forum section is global, and should by rights not have any region-specific topics.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 9:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
This forum section is global, and should by rights not have any region-specific topics.
and yet it ALWAYS has.

at least for the past 23 years that i've been a member here.

no one has ever used the general US sub-forum, and i don't think anyone ever will.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 10:27 PM

This is the U.S. sub-forum... isn't it?

Proof: just try starting a thread about Mexico City and within a half dozen replies... some will post "I love eating Mexican food, especially under my Palm tree!".

This will be followed by 137 photos of palm trees from SoCal, Florida, Texas (and possibly the one still living in Vancouver).

(aka the 'just US forum')

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I'd say Boston has the edge over Montreal. Mainly due to Boston getting some great new additions lately.

Vancouver's condo balcony highrise skyline isn't great. If it didn't have the mountain backdrop I'd consider it a below average.
Here a Vancouver skyline photo without the mountains, you think this is below average??

Vancouver

I really don't see how Boston is anywhere near Montreal's skyline

Montreal

Boston

Last edited by Nite; Nov 19, 2022 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 11:48 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

^If you don't see how Boston's skyline is anywhere close to Montreal's then why continue posting about it over and over with the same photo on that hill? At least give Boston a fighting chance by posting a second angle (like below) like you did for Montreal. This is a discussion forum after all.

On that note, instead of the same back-and-forth, I'm interested to understand what QUALITIES actually influence people's subjective perspective of what makes a good skyline. If we understand the criteria you're using to rank a skyline it'd be easier to discuss and compare skylines based on those criteria.

Some of the Qualities of a skyline that seem to factor in the most:
Peak Height, Bulk, Density, Peaks & Troughs, Variations in shapes and materials, Topography, Natural Environment, Signature buildings, Plateau, Multi-Polarity, Taper (rather than giant skyscraper right next to SFH)

Some questions:
What are some qualities I missed?
How much weight does each of these qualities hold to you? Most to least important?
Are there any dealbreakers for you? (E.g. I can't enjoy a skyline that's too similar throughout, I don't like skylines without a beautiful natural environment, etc.)
What are some questions you have for other forumers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
and yet it ALWAYS has.

at least for the past 23 years that i've been a member here.

no one has ever used the general US sub-forum, and i don't think anyone ever will.
Well, at the very least, any U.S.-centric threads should be explicitly described as such in the title. That has gotten better in recent years. Previously, an American poster would start, let's say, "What are the best buildings in your city", and some respondents would be surprised or incensed when non-Americans chimed in with answers from their own locales.

I do agree with anyone who claims Toronto is overexposed on this forum. Which is not to say there isn't a huge amount of development happening here, but I agree with the criticism that, for example, The One certainly doesn't need a daily photo update.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 8:30 PM

It's always fuzzy and arbitrary to me when we say "skylines" because to me, the natural geography/environment/setting of a city contributes a lot. I could see myself placing Seattle or San Francisco into at least a Top 20 in the world based not just on their size and beauty of the architecture but on their natural setting. Same with Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 10:55 PM
你的媽媽

I think SF has an outside shot of making top 10 in the world if you take everything in totality. Or at minimum it would be close to the top 10 as in top 15 or top 20. I don't think someone suggesting that would be particularly eyebrow raising or "funny".

Although perhaps we're starting to veer more into top beautiful cities rather than top skylines specifically. I guess it depends how much weight the natural surroundings factor into one's personal opinion.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._Hour_dllu.jpg

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 5:23 AM

How come arcologies never happened?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
It's always fuzzy and arbitrary to me when we say "skylines" because to me, the natural geography/environment/setting of a city contributes a lot. I could see myself placing Seattle or San Francisco into at least a Top 20 in the world based not just on their size and beauty of the architecture but on their natural setting. Same with Vancouver.
There are skylines with buildings no more than 200 meters that could be considered more impressive than others that might include one or more buildings over 300 meters.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 1:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
How come arcologies never happened?
Saudi Arabia is trying to do one with its Neom mega project.

I rate the chance of success equivalent to us establishing a colony on Neptune.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 2:05 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Although perhaps we're starting to veer more into top beautiful cities rather than top skylines specifically. I guess it depends how much weight the natural surroundings factor into one's personal opinion.
When I think of a "beautiful cities" list I expect the street level to play a much larger role than distant views. Things like the architecture, parks, foliage, art and monuments,etc. Not that SF wouldn't be a candidate but no one would win specifically with a skyline framed by attractive geography.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:15 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Some of the Qualities of a skyline that seem to factor in the most:
Peak Height, Bulk, Density, Peaks & Troughs, Variations in Shapes and Materials, Topography, Natural Environment, Signature buildings, Plateau, Multi-Polarity, Taper (rather than giant skyscraper right next to SFH)
I thought of a couple more... Balance, Quality Viewing Angles (not just one good side)

Also Multi-Nodal and Balance are probably better descriptors than Multi-Polar. Multi-Nodal meaning separate skylines (e.g. Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan), Balance meaning the a/symmetries and overall well-balanced form of the skyline. Balance doesn't necessarily mean exact symmetry. I think Chicago has a good balance because it has 2 of its most impactful supertalls on either side of the downtown. Though the South Loop is generally less dense and shorter, which hurts the balance a little.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 8:38 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
View of the skyline from Treasure Island is my favorite.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
I don't know about being strictly US centric but he's 100% right about his other point. Besides Toronto, no other canadian city comes even close to top ten in the world. I mean just suggesting that I find funny.
I'm not sure who I would bump from my list to include Vancouver or Montreal in the North American top ten. Dallas easily has a better skyline than those cities, so does Atlanta and Miami. 11-20 might be a more interesting discussion. You have smaller cities like Austin and Charlotte making a case. Interesting or possibly controversial selections like Monterrey or Las Vegas. Boston, Vancouver and Montreal would of course be in the 11-20 group as well (actually 12-20 since Toronto bumps everyone down one spot).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
View of the skyline from Treasure Island is my favorite.
Wow, with that skyline.. I'm switching my vote #2 San Francisco, #3 Chicago

Last edited by twinpeaks; Nov 22, 2022 at 1:59 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions