HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Ha, I'll wait until it's done but it's weird that their headquarters seems to be one of their least attractive recent properties.
I'm pretty sure 333 Green St has been done for a while at this point. Not very eyepopping but it's at least contributed towards re-stitching the urban fabric between Fulton and Kinzie streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
345 is decent infill, don't know why everybody hates it. It's in a pretty discreet spot so I wasn't expecting some phenomenal design or whatever. Has retail, decent height, and is a mix of apartments and offices.
Rivernorthlurker's correct here in that it's only office.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor View Post
I'm pretty sure 333 Green St has been done for a while at this point. Not very eyepopping but it's at least contributed towards re-stitching the urban fabric between Fulton and Kinzie streets.

Rivernorthlurker's correct here in that it's only office.
Yeah that's true. I like the kinetic wall of 333 though - it a nice embellishment but hard to appreciate in photos. The building has a nice 'weight' to it too.

345 is nothing bad, but looks a little unfinished to me - both inside and out. It's kind of like they said, 'since we're going to lease this ourselves we can just crank this out and not have to worry about it's leasability.' The 'accelerated timeline' of 13 months I think supports that. I actually like the theme but wish they kinda committed to it a little further.

https://www.skender.com/news-media-i...fulton-market/

Quote:
“Skender is proud to be a part of the team that will bring 345 N Morgan to completion on an accelerated timeline. COVID-19 has caused countless development delays and disruptions across Chicago, but this project will deliver in just over a year – that’s a significant accomplishment even by pre-pandemic standards,” said Justin Brown, President & CEO, Skender. “We understand the high level of integration that this project demands and are committed to executing the seamless, collaborative and efficient process for which Skender is known.”

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
This rendering is a bit more flattering than the latest one I had seen. I guess its best to reserve judgement. SB has not let me down yet. Sorry for derailing the thread

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
The balconies are killing me. On the right they're beautifully integrated to create a neat design element, but on the right they're just stuck on.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 3:03 AM

From the LY open house. The buildings you notice outside the LY boundaries are pieces of land SB owns and are just density placeholder potentials.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 1:12 PM

That's an awesome model! We can only hope that over the next decade we get a buildout that comes close to looking like that layout.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 2:29 PM

so many parking podiums

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 4:02 AM

A courtesy presentation is being given on two highrises for January's Plan Commission agenda. The first tower will be a 19 story, 225 ft office building with...a 1,000 person venue and a 3,500 person venue! To give context, the Chicago Theater holds 3,600 people. The second tower is residential and will stand 15 stories, 223 ft.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
so many parking podiums
Not all podiums are created equal. If the podiums double with retail etc (which I imagine they will with some grocery, convenience stores etc here), then I think they can actually enhance the street feel of a neighborhood. Depends on execution. I have faith on what I've seen from renders.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 7:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
A courtesy presentation is being given on two highrises for January's Plan Commission agenda. The first tower will be a 19 story, 225 ft office building with...a 1,000 person venue and a 3,500 person venue! To give context, the Chicago Theater holds 3,600 people. The second tower is residential and will stand 15 stories, 223 ft.
Will be interested when they actually start construction on the actual landmark buildings like these (not that boring suburban life science building they just broke construction on), infrastructure, or the parks.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 4:19 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Interesting... I'm not sure there's a market for another venue of this size in Chicago, but LVDW might know more than me. Seems like that could also create transportation issues, although it will be (sort of) walkable to Clybourn for the suburbanites.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Interesting... I'm not sure there's a market for another venue of this size in Chicago, but LVDW might know more than me. Seems like that could also create transportation issues, although it will be (sort of) walkable to Clybourn for the suburbanites.
I mean the market for that size range is always crowded. It's been less crowded since Congress was shuttered, but this basically just gurantees Congress will never open again since there will be multiple venues in that size range competing for a finite number of acts.

Of course there's always the possibility that Chicago's music scene just explodes in size/scale/variety, but we haven't been that market since the 50s or 60s when Jazz was gradually pushed aside by rock and roll.

It also depends on the configuration of the venue. If it's 100% seated all the time, it doesn't really compete with venues like what Congress used to be or what Aragon is. Certain acts won't do standing room only and others won't do seated.

I suppose that the legions of gentry that have piled into downtown could be driving new demand that Sterling Bay is aware of and trying to capture. A few hundred thousand new yuppies in a decade could buy a shit ton of tickets.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 11:30 PM

Dec 30

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 4:49 AM

1228-1284 W Concord Pl. and
1659-1909 N Throop St.
(West Town, 2nd Ward)

Plan Commission Presentation 01.20.22

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...R6_reduced.pdf

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 3:32 PM

Jan 13

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 9:37 PM

Lincoln Yards South in my 3d model. Year 2026?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 12:09 AM
TL;DR

The 2 buildings along the river north of Concord Place are not part of this next phase. I'd be surprised to see them completed by 2026. The bridge too, they're talking about 2030 for that.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The 2 buildings along the river north of Concord Place are not part of this next phase. I'd be surprised to see them completed by 2026. The bridge too, they're talking about 2030 for that.
I wish they'd complete things like the bridge and metra station first vs a bunch of boring infill buildings. Things that will actually make the place different.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 12:38 AM
TL;DR

Those projects are huge expenses that bring in no income for the developer. I would argue the next phase of development with a pedestrian alley, bars/restaurants, 2 concert venues, and a huge public park will certainly "make the place different". That's not even including the upper floors that will contain offices and hundreds of apartments.

I'm guessing the end result in 2026 or whenever will feel a lot like Gallagher Plaza in Wrigleyville. That will likely make some people shudder, but for many others it will be a place to seek out. It will put the area on the mental map for Chicagoans beyond just the grimy area behind Home Depot (all credit to Hideout of course, but only a small slice of the city goes there).

BTW, the Metra stop isn't even included in the RDA/TIF infrastructure plan for Lincoln Yards, so any reconstruction would have to be funded by the city and/or Metra itself.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Page 12 of the presentation says 2025 for the bridge. Is this the same bridge? https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...R6_reduced.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development