HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I don't see the problem with this, at least from these photos. It will all come down to the prices they can charge the the materials they can afford to use.

Not everything can be ground-breaking architecture, and this is much better than most of the 1990s/2000s apartment towers built in Chicago. There's no parking podium or one, which is huge. And equally importantly, it looks from the rendering like it's going to be glad in stone and not painted concrete. Could that be?

There are worse things than to get a narrow, 800 foot version of 15 Central Park West, or the forthcoming 520 Park Ave.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 1:34 PM
BANNED

Great height for the area, well-placed setbacks, interesting texture along the facade. Now just praying they don't go the Amli route on what looks to be limestone..

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 1:50 PM
BANNED

Soul-crushing

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
I dig it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
It looks nice to me.
A motor court, soul crushing recessed bays, and a blank wall along a park look "nice to you"? Okee dokee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I don't see the problem with this, at least from these photos. It will all come down to the prices they can charge the the materials they can afford to use.
The prices will be high and the quality of materials will be low. This is Related Midwest we are talking about, they can't even get glass skyscrapers done right. They look at Chicago as a provincial market where the yokels will be wowed by the culture shock of a stunning RAMSA concrete bunker.

Quote:
And equally importantly, it looks from the rendering like it's going to be glad in stone and not painted concrete. Could that be?
No, it could not be. I don't know why people are even asking that. This is Related Midwest we are talking about. Not only have they already explicitly said it will be concrete above floor two, but they have a very noticeable habit of cutting corners wherever they can. Let's end the nonsense now, this building will be concrete, not stone. Period.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:53 PM

Quote:
And equally importantly, it looks from the rendering like it's going to be glad in stone and not painted concrete. Could that be?
You haven't read through this entire thread, have you? Or at least the previous 15 pages of people proclaiming the end is neigh, and the harbinger of the devil is named PoMo.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 3:22 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:

Not everything can be ground-breaking architecture, and this is much better than most of the 1990s/2000s apartment towers built in Chicago. There's no parking podium or one, which is huge. And equally importantly, it looks from the rendering like it's going to be glad in stone and not painted concrete. Could that be?

There are worse things than to get a narrow, 800 foot version of 15 Central Park West, or the forthcoming 520 Park Ave.
I guess the rendering is just deceiving because I love the render. What are people concerned with, that they'll go cheap on the materials? Because the design looks great.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 3:28 PM

^^^ We know they will go cheap on the materials because they've already publicly announced they will... It will be another Elysian where they find some way to slap some corregated warehouse tin on it or something similarly heinous.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 3:31 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ We know they will go cheap on the materials because they've already publicly announced they will... It will be another Elysian where they find some way to slap some corregated warehouse tin on it or something similarly heinous.
Ah, that's a shame. I'm glad they're doing an attempt at art deco but not in this way.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 4:07 PM
Content provider

I don't hate the render either but it will be a slippery slope with cheap materials

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:02 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I propose we all pitch in to buy SamintheLoop a condo in this building, and once it's built we'll throw him a housewarming party

My initial mental response was that I would on principle not be able to accept such a gift and would likely donate the unit to charity (early good candidate organization might be 'Luxury' ChicagoHousing for the Tasteless and Sight-Disabled however my thinking did somewhat shift quickly to something similar to what The Lurker brought up: If I were entertaining the idea of living in South Streeterville, once this schlock is built, the safest view of the neighborhood and cityscape will indeed be from inside it.........so.......(you can imagine the tough position in which this puts me!)........

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:42 PM

So you DONT want a unit in the Related building across the street that will look directly at this? 8)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:57 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Looks nice, great height too. Which means I MUST be tasteless and more-than-slightly-retarded..oh well, pobody's nerfect!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 7:03 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
soul crushing recessed bays
Soul crushing? I've seen the drawings, they call for real limestone in/around the arcade with vaulted ceilings and pendants. Unless the below is soul-crushing...

(also, didn't you like the arcade planned for State/Chestnut?)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 7:21 PM
THAT Guy

^Is that true though? Based on the renderings and various previous diagrams/drawings, the sidewalk is clearly on the perimeter and what seems like an arcade is just hiding the lobby and motor court(s). But I could be wrong.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 7:38 PM

^^^ What Spyguy said, you don't have to climb through a hedge to get into the arcade at Civic Opera House. It appears you would have to do so here (if it is even a real arcade and not a series of poorly planned small insets). You also don't have to dodge CL-65 Merc's turning around in the arcade at the Civic Opera House either...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Wonderful. Lincoln Park 2550 part deux.

Fucking pathetic. Shit stack, POMO trash.

Really sick of all these hideous, faux limestone condo towers.

It's 2015; let's fucking design like it. Jesus.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 8:45 PM

This building will block a lot of light in my apartment but hey i still like it

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 8:50 PM

I'm loving the temper tantrums. Get a grip on yourselves. It's 2015, many people of discerning taste have grown weary of attention-craving starchitecture.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
I'm loving the temper tantrums. Get a grip on yourselves. It's 2015, many people of discerning taste have grown weary of attention-craving starchitecture.
Exactaly, we can't stand for these kinds of 800 foot tall towers that try to be a beautiful star but ends up being clumsy and gaudy. Buildings like the newly permitted 1333 south wabash or the Wolf Point south tower are what I want to see

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 9:22 PM

I remember a wise saying, "you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both , and there you have.....the chicago skyline."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive