HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 2:50 PM

^ a bit over dramatic I think. RMW builds what there is a market for. if they think the product can sell without additional design costs they will do it. Do I often wish the design was better? yes. Are their projects god awful? no. And I don't think the 'influx of awful buildings' is a thing. I don't know that we are building a significantly larger percentage of awful designs than at any other time our history.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
One Museum Park was Enterprise/Forest City.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure. Memory is not perfect.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Park Tower is an embarrassment to the . 840 is nothing more than a cheap, shitty building with nice finishes that gets sold as luxury. One Museum Park is a confused looking disaster, also an embarrassment, Related or not.

But hey, you gotta applaud their game; Related Midwest does a really good job of selling shit to idiots.

There's been a steady influx of awful buildings over the last 10-15 years or so. This is yet more of the same shit. It's tiresome and ruining our city. I'll chill out when we stop seeing this kind of shit pop up every few years. Architecture matters. And indifference breeds content.
I bet you're fun at parties.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 5:20 PM
you know where I'll be

On Plan Commission Agenda Next Week

I can't believe I'm typing this, but a Robert AM Stern designed heap of shit is about to be approved in Chicago. Have we really fallen so far?

I suppose we can still hold out hope for a zombie apocalypse, or similar, to head this actual calamity off.........

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 6:19 PM

Not sure how accurate that planning commission agenda is or if they use approximations but it looks like we may have lost a few floors.

Quote:
The application proposes to amend the Planned Development for Subarea F and seeks
Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection District approval to recalculate the net
site area and increase the permitted amount of floor area and number of residential
dwelling units and to approve plans for a 65-story, 350 dwelling unit building and a redesigned public open space.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 9:34 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I can't believe I'm typing this, but a Robert AM Stern designed heap of shit is about to be approved in Chicago. Have we really fallen so far?

I suppose we can still hold out hope for a zombie apocalypse, or similar, to head this actual calamity off.........
Hyperbole doesn't suit you, but you're entitled to your own opinion, so whatever.

In my opinion, this particular developer, market, City could do FAR worse, and as much as you hate Po-Mo shite Sam (I will agree with you on how detestable a 'movement' it is), I really don't think this building is part of the same vernacular. I like it, so sue me.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 9:36 PM
The City

Quote:

^ First of all.....huh?

Secondly, what's so surprising here. A lot of crap has gotten built in Chicago. Just add to the pile.

Thirdly, it's not nearly as bad as half the crap that went up from 1999-2008

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 10:12 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ Yeah - I'll take it over any of Lagrange's piss-elegant cr*p.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 11:02 PM
you know where I'll be

^^^ ^^ ^

Here's what I'm hearing: 'it could be worse' 'so what - lot's of people have put up shit over the years in this town', 'it's not the absolute ugliest thing ever', 'hey - what about that one 'architect - what's his name? - he was worse, no?', 'i mean, it's not the best style for sure, but as far as that style goes, this isn't the absolute worst possible example, right?'

Nice, people. These are great standards you have for architecture and design in Chicago. How noble.

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Dec 13, 2014 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 11:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Nice, people. These are great standards you have for architecture and design in Chicago. How noble.
i think people are responding to your hyperbolic "Have we really fallen so far?" comment.

considering that far more offensive crap has been recently built in this town like a plague, it's difficult to see how this related/stern tower would set the bar even lower.

chicago isn't going to fall so far because of this one project; we're already way the fuck down there.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 11:10 PM
you know where I'll be

^ oh, that was obviously just a little dramatic dressing - folks, enjoy language and its colorful use - it's one of those special things that separates us from the lower order animals.....

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 11:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
^ oh, that was obviously just a little dramatic dressing
ok, but hyperbole has to be used very carefully, especially on the internet.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 12:43 AM
you know where I'll be

^

Kinda hard to argue with that!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 3:21 AM

Quote:
^ oh, that was obviously just a little dramatic dressing - folks, enjoy language and its colorful use - it's one of those special things that separates us from the lower order animals.....
I am not so sure your incessant swearing and complaining qualifies as "colorful use" of our language. It is getting built, deal with it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 3:42 PM
All-American City Boy

Just like the recent AMLI highrise, I think this one is ok and better than other recent developments. It's a decent building people, just not a great one.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 4:03 PM
Content provider

only thing that doesnt make it infill is height (still) and proximity to lake. At least amli was stuffed behind trump wall

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:50 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Exactly!! Thank you....

It's the prominence of this POS that is what is 'gonna hurt'. Were it a 400-500' Silly Stern Sentimental Shit-Spire, the negative impact would be highly mitigated.

As it stands - er, will stand, the negative impact here will be outsized, unfortunately....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Dec 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:54 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
I am not so sure your incessant swearing and complaining qualifies as "colorful use" of our language. It is getting built, deal with it.

First, grow up a little.

Second, although cursing was demonstrably not what I was referring to, coincidentally that actually would technically meet a definition of "colorful language"

Third, I'll be fine - no worries about that. It's the future skyline and aesthetics of South Streeterville that are concerning.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 6:23 PM

At least the design is restrained. The upward rhythm is clumsy, but there's a blessed lack of ersatz Classical ornament. The W and E elevations will probably look quite nice (if only for the H/W ratio).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 6:28 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
The W and E elevations will probably look quite nice (if only for the H/W ratio).
'It doesn't take up all that much of my field of view if I look at it from this angle......and if I hold my finger up here, it actually vanishes!'

Yes, yes, I know - you probably massing proportion on those sides are ok......I get it.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive