HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 3:51 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
I don’t understand the sudden downtown Phoenix hate. There is a 540’ tower that is going to break ground soon along with almost a dozen other 100’+ projects this year. I don’t think tempe has that many in the pipeline this year.

I won’t believe South Pier to be a reality until they break ground. You guys don’t remember the other 2 proposals in the last 20 years we’ve seen for this land? We’ve been through this rodeo before.

The Ferris wheel will be built when the city does the pedestrian bridge. Not the last phase.
No one is hating on Phoenix. I was simply interpreting how fast Tempe is building upwards. Yes, Phoenix is building too. But Phoenix doesn't have a 17 tower development proposal such as above. Maybe this a real proposal, maybe it's not. It's early and we don't know for sure until it happens or not.

But if this DOES get built, we're talking about nearly 3/4 of the equivalent of the entire stock of Midtown Phoenix high-rises all in 1 single development. That's pretty damn impressive.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Are you talking about the Pier?
I don't know. I was hoping my vagueness would make it clear I didn't know what I was talking about. Oh, well.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 4:37 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I don't know. I was hoping my vagueness would make it clear I didn't know what I was talking about. Oh, well.
If you are referring to this development, https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=10477, then yes, that is the Pier. It was slow (for lack of a better word) for a few years, but now seems to have progressed to about 1 floor per 9 days. I went by Wednesday and it was at the 16th floor.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 4:43 PM

That's the one, thanks.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
I don’t understand the sudden downtown Phoenix hate. There is a 540’ tower that is going to break ground soon along with almost a dozen other 100’+ projects this year. I don’t think tempe has that many in the pipeline this year.

I won’t believe South Pier to be a reality until they break ground. You guys don’t remember the other 2 proposals in the last 20 years we’ve seen for this land? We’ve been through this rodeo before.

The Ferris wheel will be built when the city does the pedestrian bridge. Not the last phase.
Tbh for a long time Tempe was outpacing Phoenix especially before like 2015 in almost every way.

Phoenix has ripped right back into first place in my opinion. Tempe has gotten more high profile office buildings and leases but again, those things follow the neighborhood becoming desirable.

As the food/entertainment scene downtown improves it will then attract office clients who will pay premium to locate in a "cool" area rather than just locate in a suburban park for cost.

I expect office buildings to come in a major way in the next major cycle probably in 3-5 years once COVID is finally behind us fully.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 6:36 PM

Yea I’m not anti Phoenix, I would just like to see them try to do more to get more proposals like this one and others in Tempe. Or more block 23s. It doesn’t help that we are waiting so long for the biggest projects to break ground for so many months.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 6:40 PM

Every big city in America has an office/commercial center in a suburb. This is hardly a unique situation with Tempe becoming attractive for specific types of developments/tenants.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 7:09 PM
Skyriser

Tempe isn't getting anything yet. They are however desperate to get rid of an overzoned tract of land that nonetheless should be paying a premium in tax dollars compared to other properties because of lake assessments. The developer has no high-rise experience.

They're able to land these office developments because they have an abundance of large midrise lots which have demonstrated demand across multiple markets, plus the city is closer to the better-educated Southeast Valley than Downtown. Outside of a few select cities few people are building the traditional financial center office tower with limited parking anyways, so Phoenix is hardly unique like that.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 7:47 PM

Tweet below shows a lot of current progress w/in Novus Corridor.
  • Apartment complex breaking ground east of Hyatt
  • New University Pedestrian Bridge completed
  • ASU's Multi-Purpose Arena Taking Shape (aka The Barn)
  • Abandoned Project (aka The Pier) in the far background
  • This view will be amazing when everything is filled out. Also, not sure if everyone remembers this, but future plan is to move ASU's practice facility (bubble) next to the SDS where a permanent indoor practice facility will eventually be built.

https://twitter.com/NovusASU/status/...117407232?s=20

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Tempe isn't getting anything yet. They are however desperate to get rid of an overzoned tract of land that nonetheless should be paying a premium in tax dollars compared to other properties because of lake assessments. The developer has no high-rise experience.

They're able to land these office developments because they have an abundance of large midrise lots which have demonstrated demand across multiple markets, plus the city is closer to the better-educated Southeast Valley than Downtown. Outside of a few select cities few people are building the traditional financial center office tower with limited parking anyways, so Phoenix is hardly unique like that.
Speaking of, it looks like Tempe's next big large mid-rise lot office development has officially begun. I did not stop to grab a picture but they've got equipment on site and are moving lots of dirt for the new carvana campus at priest and Rio Salado.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Tweet below shows a lot of current progress w/in Novus Corridor.
  • Apartment complex breaking ground east of Hyatt
  • New University Pedestrian Bridge completed
  • ASU's Multi-Purpose Arena Taking Shape (aka The Barn)
  • Abandoned Project (aka The Pier) in the far background
  • This view will be amazing when everything is filled out. Also, not sure if everyone remembers this, but future plan is to move ASU's practice facility (bubble) next to the SDS where a permanent indoor practice facility will eventually be built.

https://twitter.com/NovusASU/status/...117407232?s=20
Nice. Latest update to the Tempe development map also shows that the next Novus office building planned for that space west of the 777 tower, in-between the Aspen apartments, 777 tower and the parking garage, the 6-story '700 S. Novus Pl.' building, has applied for a building permit, so that should begin soon as well.

https://www.novusasu.com/work/700-novus-place/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 2:27 AM

ASU Practice Facility

ASU Diablo.
I don't think you are correct about moving the bubble. They have mentioned building a hard lid facility like a lot of NFL teams have and that the UofA added recently.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
No one is hating on Phoenix. I was simply interpreting how fast Tempe is building upwards. Yes, Phoenix is building too. But Phoenix doesn't have a 17 tower development proposal such as above. Maybe this a real proposal, maybe it's not. It's early and we don't know for sure until it happens or not.

But if this DOES get built, we're talking about nearly 3/4 of the equivalent of the entire stock of Midtown Phoenix high-rises all in 1 single development. That's pretty damn impressive.
That’s not including everything that ASU is proposing in the Novus Corridor as well… North Tempe is about to become pretty dense with midrises. If it weren’t for the flight path I think we’d see much taller projects.

It’s also noteworthy that we can even have a conversation about a city nearing 190k’s skyline to that of another that is 1.6 million. I think that’s the bigger issue here, that Tempe is even on Phoenix’s radar for potential skyline war. Phoenix is undoubtedly building but so so so far behind where it should be in skyline standards for that population size. It’ll get there though.

Tempe’s developments makes me wonder what South Scottsdale could be if it weren’t for all the NIMBYs. Also wondering how long it will take Mesa start building upwards, if ever.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 4:40 AM

I think that is why it’s so significant for Tempe to get these projects because it’s not a “big city” like Phoenix but they are getting big city development projects. I think Phoenix has a branding issue, which I fear will take time to solve because for so long Downtown Phoenix was a place you would go and watch a game and then leave. Phoenix is playing catch-up while Tempe has established their brand and set the vision for their city. I applaud them for that and I hope Phoenix takes some notes.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
I think that is why it’s so significant for Tempe to get these projects because it’s not a “big city” like Phoenix but they are getting big city development projects. I think Phoenix has a branding issue, which I fear will take time to solve because for so long Downtown Phoenix was a place you would go and watch a game and then leave. Phoenix is playing catch-up while Tempe has established their brand and set the vision for their city. I applaud them for that and I hope Phoenix takes some notes.
Tempe has the right ingredients, the lake has become a legitimate desirable attraction, ASU provides an insane amount of economic activity, it is the first valley city to be landlocked and first to grow up instead of grow out, the city/university have long had a vision for this area and pursued it. It's got the "I want to be here factor" going on.

Phoenix will get there but there's no large public amenity similar to town lake. I'd really like to see Hance Park turn into something really unique, desirable and sought after. And for all Tempe has going on it's entertainment factor is still lacking, other than Marquee Theater there are minimal venues and the bars still in downtown Phoenix are much more interesting as well, there isn't anything like Valley Bar or Sarzec in Tempe. Roosevelt>Mill imo but if you're sheerly looking at buildings Tempe has a lot going on.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
ASU Diablo.
I don't think you are correct about moving the bubble. They have mentioned building a hard lid facility like a lot of NFL teams have and that the UofA added recently.
As someone who just recently quit working at Sun Devil Football because of our great recruiting scandal, there are no plans to build the bubble in the near future unless that lot is in demand for development. AKA the athletic dept has no money for a new indoor. They do want to do a field house instead of a bubble north of the football facility in Lot 59. The plans also call for a a full 100 yard field + a 60 yard field.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 6:03 PM

Yep I’m well aware that the plan is to build a hard lid type of facility or a field house. I referenced the bubble since not everyone might be familiar where the current practice facility was. That’s why I mentioned a “permanent indoor facility”.

Would like for it to get done ASAP. Given the scandal, can imagine money not being there. But that is the whole point of this corridor right? To fund ASU athletic facilities with the revenue. Actually, would like for The Bank to get its much needed renovation first and then the permanent football indoor practice facility.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 2:17 AM

Rio Salado corridor

The way the buildings and complexes are coming up in the North side of Rio Salado in Tempe, perhaps a thin slice running along the south-side of Rio Salado can be carved out for restaurants and like; and the Street-car extended all the way along Rio Salado to Tempe Market place. That would be exciting.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 5:55 AM

The Beam

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 4:40 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest