HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
The shuttle between Kimball-Belmont goes until something like 2:15 and starts up by about 4:30.
When I was living in Lincoln Square, I used the shuttle to get home after going out in Boystown. I was definitely appreciative of having that option for getting back to my apartment. Transit systems that shut down their trains before last call at the bars suck! Probably leads to more people driving to the bars and as a result driving drunk back home. The CTA's rail schedules are generally pretty good and something I certainly appreciated during my 2.5 years in Chicago. Having an additional option besides the bus & taxis made living without a car that much easier.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 11:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
The shuttle between Kimball-Belmont goes until something like 2:15 and starts up by about 4:30.
Yeah I forgot about that.

But there have been times when I have been down in the west loop and wished I could grab a brown line but instead had to hike over to state st.

I still think it might make sense to run it to the loop 24 / 7

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 3:56 AM
TL;DR

Morgan/Lake Station

Lake Street remake
Morgan el project gets federal help, intersection to be cleared of columns
09/02/2009 10:00 PM
By MICAH MAIDENBERG

A new el station in the West Loop is getting some help from the ultimate infrastructure funder: Uncle Sam.

The City of Chicago will use $8 million in federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality funds to help pay for the planned Morgan and Lake station, which would serve riders on the Green and Pink lines.

Originally, the city assumed dollars from the Kinzie Industrial Tax Increment Financing District would pay for the entirety of the project, according to Brian Steele, a spokesman for the Chicago Department of Transportation.

But then the city learned in the late spring the Morgan Street station project was awarded the federal grant. The news delayed finding a contractor to build the station, but Steele said the pause was well worth it.

In all, $36 million has been secured thus far for the station.

Bids for the project will be opened Sept. 24. Work could start within 60 to 90 days of when the contract is awarded — possibly late this year, Steele said. Initially, the chosen contractor would procure equipment and relocate utilities, with actual construction eyed for 2010.

Bids have been opened for a project that would move support columns for the Green and Pink line out of the Lake and Ogden intersection. Work is expected to start in October and be finished by 2011.

“It will be somewhat similar to the reconstruction of Wacker Drive during 2001 and 2002, when we replaced column structures at Wells and Wacker,” Steele said. “There will still be column supports, but instead of them being on the roadway, they’ll be in the sidewalk area.”

The el stop and column removal projects are expected to be carried out simultaneously.

-----------

Hopefully the column relocation project will give us another cool truss structure. The one on Wacker is massive, and something similar would look dynamite at Lake/Ogden.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 4:21 AM
Show me the blueprints

I'm really digging that mesh screen with the CTA logotype on it. I hope it survives all the inevitable value engineering and bean counter driven aesthetic mediocrity.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'm really digging that mesh screen with the CTA logotype on it. I hope it survives all the inevitable value engineering and bean counter driven aesthetic mediocrity.
Agreed - hopefully the Federal money will help allow that feature to survive the process

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 8:41 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2722832.story

Pace, toll chiefs aim to speed Tri-State traffic
Agencies to request $200 million for high-occupancy lanes

By Richard Wronski

Tribune reporter

September 3, 2009

The "green lane" toll road concept proposed last year by former Gov. Rod Blagojevich is back, this time with Pace and the Illinois Tollway pushing a plan to designate express bus and carpool lanes on the Tri-State Tollway.

The agencies are seeking $200 million in federal stimulus funding to get express buses running between job-scarce areas in the south suburbs and employment opportunities in the west and northwest.

If funding is approved, the so-called high-occupancy-toll or HOT lanes could be opened on the Tri-State by early 2012, officials said Wednesday.

Under the proposal, the inner lane in each direction would be intended for buses and carpools. Single-occupant motorists would be allowed to use the HOT lanes but would pay a premium toll, depending on the level of congestion.

The lanes would start at the southern end of the Tri-State (Interstate Highway 294) at the Chicago Southland Oasis in South Holland and extend 35 miles north to Rosemont and O'Hare. There would be stops in between for bus connections and park-and-ride lots.

The concept is already used as a congestion-relief measure in several areas, including Minneapolis, Denver, Orange County, San Diego and Houston. The idea with its strong "green," environmentally friendly overtones is to speed the flow of traffic for buses and carpools and to cut vehicle emissions.

But Pace and the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority are stressing the plan primarily as an economic stimulus tool to link people with jobs. The idea is to move people to jobs in such communities as Oak Brook, Elk Grove Village, Schaumburg and to O'Hare International Airport, officials said.

Pace and the toll authority plan to file for the economic-recovery grant by Sept. 15.

The funds would be used for construction and improvement of parking lots, development of express lanes and ramps, and equipment -- including 52 new buses that would run on natural gas.

Pace envisions express buses running at 20 to 30 minute intervals along the Tri-State from about 4 a.m. to midnight. Between 800 to 1,000 riders a day are expected initially, said Pace Deputy Executive Director Michael Bolton.

Pace's board of directors gave their support for the project Wednesday, but the plan has not been presented to the toll authority's directors.

Rocco Zucchero, the tollway's deputy chief of engineering for planning, said the two agencies have been working on the grant request for seven or eight weeks. But the toll authority has been studying the concept of HOT lanes for as long as 10 years, he added.

Blagojevich proposed the concept of "green lanes" on the tollway in October 2008, but the idea was put on hold after he was removed from office.

Zucchero acknowledged the similarities but said the new plan focuses on job creation. The tollway is more than halfway through a 10-year, $6 billion rebuilding and widening program. As part of this work, widening of the Tri-State to four lanes in each direction from Indiana to Wisconsin is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

But in some cities, converting to high-occupancy lanes has sparked opposition. Some critics consider the concept elitist.

rwronski@tribune.com
Copyright © 2009, Chicago Tribune

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 1:25 PM
Urbane observer

^Finally, a suburb-to-suburb transit plan that makes some sense.

Too bad there's not a regional planning agency that could anoint this and finally put a stake through the heart of the STAR Line.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
Yeah I forgot about that.

But there have been times when I have been down in the west loop and wished I could grab a brown line but instead had to hike over to state st.

I still think it might make sense to run it to the loop 24 / 7
The demand isn't there - the overall demand for North-South travel to/from downtown is met by the Red Line running every 12-15 minutes during the late night and early morning hours. It leaves a few gaps in coverage - namely around Diversey and Armitage Brown Line stations, and the West Loop. However, the demand in these areas can also be met by the #8 Halsted bus, which also runs until about 2 and starts up around 4:30. If anything, probably more cost effective to just make that an owl route at a 20-30-minute frequency than to run the rails, staff the stations, etc.

The Lake-Dan Ryan line ran 24 hours over the Loop until the early 90s, but only on the Wabash and Lake legs. I'm not sure of the last time the Wells and Van Buren legs had owl service - maybe MrD knows exactly. If I had to guess, the last time would have been the 1960s before the Dan Ryan line opened, the Loop ran unidirectionally (both tracks running counterclockwise) and the Lake Street line looped instead of running through.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 4:59 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^Finally, a suburb-to-suburb transit plan that makes some sense.

Too bad there's not a regional planning agency that could anoint this and finally put a stake through the heart of the STAR Line.
I'm not sure... it only works if the express lanes are used as a segment of larger routes connecting the parking lots to employment centers. The employment centers are usually off the Tri-State, sometimes by a few miles, not within walking distance of Pace's planned park-n-ride lots. Fortunately, the bus routes can be endlessly tweaked and modified, since they're not on a fixed guideway.

I'm glad they want to use stimulus funds for this... that way we can save traditional highway funding for other valuable projects (Elgin-O'Hare, 53 extension, Illiana). On the other hand, the use of stimulus money necessarily shortens the planning process dramatically. I hope studies have been done to demonstrate ridership before $200 million smackers of my tax money are spent.

Last edited by ardecila; Sep 4, 2009 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 9:01 PM
TL;DR

CTA Budweiser Commercial

Apparently they're only running this in Ireland. You'd think it would do fantastically well on Chicago TV, since it features CTA and the cityscape so prominently. It's really made quite well.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 10:25 PM
Show me the blueprints

Way cool. Very clever. Apparantly American ad interests think that we'd rather see something funny than clever. Imagine that.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 12:35 AM
The City

^ Great ad. I can see it working in Europe, but not America.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 1:17 AM
BANNED

The usa does not have the attention span for a full ad without seeing the product until the end. Americans are not smart enough as a whole to make this work on a national level. This can work in markets like Chicago and college towns but red state peps would just drool and say wtf?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:00 AM

Cool ad!!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 1:31 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
The usa does not have the attention span for a full ad without seeing the product until the end. Americans are not smart enough as a whole to make this work on a national level. This can work in markets like Chicago and college towns but red state peps would just drool and say wtf?
Yes, those red states are neanderthals... Thank God we have the educated blue states out there to keep us from drowning in a pool of our own drool. And yes, you are correct, it's because Americans aren't smart enough that they wouldn't appreciate the ad...

Care to insult anyone else?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:04 PM
Show me the blueprints

Religous teetotalers also wouldn't like it. Stupid American religous teetotalers!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 4:19 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Religous teetotalers also wouldn't like it. Stupid American religous teetotalers!
I thought a religious teetotaler would be someone who refuses to partake of religion. ;-)

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 4:21 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

While watching TV the other night, a CTA ad came on. It showed a gas pump ticking higher with a man crying in the background and then suggested people spend $86 for a 30-day pass instead.

It was possibly the stupidest commercial I've ever seen. Who on earth things it's a good idea to advertise your product with a crying man? That's just grade A stupid.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 5:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

Religious would be an adjective in this case.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 5:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
Yes, those red states are neanderthals...
Care to insult anyone else?
Don't insult neanderthals.....homo hablis maybe....

then again that would entail evolution...woops

ok...red state men : blown clay; red state women: ribs

It says so in the Bible.....its gotta be true

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation