HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 11:14 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
How would IC trains from the south be routed to downtown?
I assume you're talking about Amtrak trains reaching Union Station. A new track connection would link the IC (at 81st) to the PRR (at 75th) using the former Nickel Plate right-of-way. Other new tracks and bridges would be required for the freight that moves along the IC lakefront line and SCAL, so that I'm told that nearly half the cost of CREATE is so the SCAL can be abandoned.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown
so that I'm told that nearly half the cost of CREATE is so the SCAL can be abandoned.
Hmm, I could see why the Feds wouldn't want to throw $500 million at Chicago for a pet pork project (Trent Lott and Ted Stevens could not be reached for comment as of this writing). And CREATE was billed as primarily being eliminating crossings, both rail/rail and rail/street, to improve safety and efficiency....so much for that.

So who owns that little bit of the NKP R-O-W at this point? the PRR is still operated as a freight line there, right? And didn't a track connection exist here at one point anyway? I think NKP trains went to LaSalle street. (why on earth would I know this? this all ended decades before I was born....)

Last edited by VivaLFuego; Dec 1, 2006 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 11:40 PM
Registered

Quote:
Oh, about 120 more than do so now. The north and south lakefronts already have such a path, and the modal split for bikes is less than rounding error.
I think you're mistaken there. People also live west, northwest, southwest. And not everyone works downtown or only goes downtown. These could also be transit within neighborhoods.

Safety and constant stopping at intersections are a major issue for many people who bike, especially for more than convenience. In Denver they have a few of these dedicated trails (although executed differently), and people go way out of their way to get there. If there were a network of them in Chicago, they would see a lot of use.

Anyway, thanks for the other info. I haven't seen the designation report, but I gather that the B&O bridge was not landmarked. When obvious things get skipped, this usually means something is going on that we don't know about, and it may not be good.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 11:46 PM
Registered

Quote:
Perhaps the trains squeal on the curve at South Y Junction, next to Central Station, and those folks complain to their mayoral neighbor.
WD-40?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 11:50 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukecuj
Great News !!! I saw a channel 11 special about the Uptown not to long ago and how volunteers were doing everything in their means to keep the maintence up. They gave a tour and what a stunning space, I was afraid we were going lose it.

Indeed, I'm stoked about this news. That piece on the Uptown was awesome. If it could be restored in any way like its former splendor it would be amazing and a great boon to Uptown. I don't care if Kevin Federline opened up the opening show I would go see it just to see it refurbished. It would be a magical place to see a show to say the least.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Dec 2, 2006 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 12:01 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
I don't care if Kevin Federline opened up the opening show I would go see it just to go see it
Let's not get too drastic! In a few months, K-Fed will probably be opening the doors of the Uptown, not opening a show.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 2:50 AM
devout Pizzatarian

the news about the uptown fills me with so much hope. how friggin awesome would it be to get that place back into tip-top?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 6:29 PM

I passed by the Vic Condos at Belmont and Sheffield last night. They looked to be finishing off the last of the exterior masonry. I really liked the feel of this one as a good piece of TOD infil. At 7 stories with the penthouse, it's good density for the area. The Belmont 'L' stop is half a block away, and it integrates quite well into the streetwall of the existing building at the corner.

http://www.viccondos.com

Last edited by aaron38; Dec 3, 2006 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 5:39 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...ouse03.article

City backs housing to help 'people rebuild their lives'

December 3, 2006
BY JANET RAUSA FULLER
Staff Reporter

A slew of new "supportive housing" -- for recovering addicts, those formerly homeless, grandparents caring for their grandchildren and young adults transitioning out of state care -- is going up on the South and West sides.

Mayor Daley on Saturday detailed plans for developments under way in North Lawndale, Washington Park and West Englewood totaling 164 new housing units.

In addition, the run-down Viceroy Hotel at 1519 W. Warren, which dates to 1929, will be redeveloped into 150 units of single-room-occupancy housing, Daley said.

The city will cover $42 million of the $64 million total cost of the projects, as well as provide 27 city-owned lots to be used as sites for the new buildings, which will offer residents on-site social services.

The developments, which will offer one- to four-bedroom apartments, are for people with incomes that are less than 50 percent of the area median.

"You can build any homes you want. But also you have to rebuild, I call it, the souls of people. It's helping people rebuild their lives," Daley said.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 6:58 PM
The City

^ It's great to see the city gradually filling those empty lots back in. We're correcting the mistakes of mid-20th century urban renewal

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 11:03 PM
The City

http://www.newcommunities.org/news/a...p?objectID=673
Portfolio: Chicago Southwest ‘Neighborhub’

A Chicago Southwest Community group and a major developer partner want to build a different kind of shopping center on the site of a former factory. The project is part of the New Communities Program's Community Investment Portfolio. The Cannery Shopping Center will be a "neighborhub" that appeals to ethnic communities underserved by retailers.

The new center will anchor neighborhood redevelopment.
Photo: General Growth Properties

It will bring together stores, restaurants and other foot traffic generating uses to create a destination that appeals to a broad audience. General Growth Properties, one of the world's largest shopping center developers, is working with Greater Southwest Development Corporation to construct up to 375,000 sq. ft. of retail space.

BENEFITS Originally a can factory, the site was redeveloped in the 1980s for retail uses, but much of the land remains unused. The Cannery will anchor this intersection as a major retail destination. The catalytic effect already can be

The Jewel-Osco will be part of the mix.
Photo: Eric Young Smith

seen with a smaller retail center now being developed across the street.

SPONSORING ORGANIZATION Greater Southwest Development Corporation (GSDC) was founded in 1974 to hold banks accountable for community disinvestment. GSDC's mission has broadened and, with its partners, it has been responsible for $500 million invested or retained in the neighborhood. Projects include a Jewel-Osco grocery store that was key to keeping 63rd and Western a vibrant retail district (and of which GSDC owns ¹/³); retention of the Nabisco bakery, which makes 22 million Oreo cookies a day; and housing developments, single-family rehabs and foreclosure-prevention work.

A large population lives nearby.

INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY
$62 million for construction and mortgage financing; lease commitments

OVERALL PROJECT VALUE
$62 million

TIMELINE
Summer 2007 Break ground
Summer 2008 Completion

PARTNERS
General Growth Properties

The site includes ample vacant land.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
James Capraro

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Last edited by the urban politician; Dec 3, 2006 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 8:01 PM

Quote:
B&O CT and SCAL had adjacent bridges (built over dry land as the river was being rechanneled in 1927-29) and ran side-by-side from there west to at least Halsted (with a team track in between).
These moveable bridges in Chicago absolutely fascinate me.

Here's a nice site about the SCAL + B&O CT (historicbridges.org).

Here's my crazy idea. Would it be possible to restore the B&O bridge to working order, and re-task the bridges for vehicular & pedestrian traffic, with a connection to 16th street on either end?

- If the B&O can be repaired, with cantilevered sidewalks it might be possible to get two lanes on each bridge for a total of four lanes.

- If the bridges are too narrow, then one lane per bridge with sidewalks in or outside the superstructure would be fine.

- If the B&O is behond hope but the SCAL bridge is wide enough, then the idea can still work - two lanes (one for each direction) and double cantilevered sidewalks.

If the bridges are too narrow AND the B&O is dead, then forget about it Worth the thought, at least.

When (if) the SCAL is removed, could its right-of-way be used to extend the McCormick Place busway south to hyde park? (I think I read about a plan to do that on here somewhere.) Or would it be better served to add more capacity to the Metra Electric/South Shore line? (for future service, like the NICTD's Valparaiso or Lowell lines, for example.)

Last edited by orulz; Dec 4, 2006 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 11:14 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Would it be possible to restore the B&O bridge to working order, and re-task the bridges for vehicular & pedestrian traffic, with a connection to 16th street
Well, these bridges are just over a thousand feet from the 18th Street Bridge, so I don't know that an additional bridge could be justified here. Maybe in 50 years when something is built over the Metra and Amtrak coach yards west of the river.

Way back when the Sox stadium was proposed for the Riverside Park parcel at Clark/Roosevelt, I did propose using the B&OCT bridge to bring bus traffic directly from the Dan Ryan.

Quote:
When (if) the SCAL is removed, could its right-of-way be used to extend the McCormick Place busway south to Hyde Park?
The SCAL only extends to South Y Junction (16th Street) where it joins the Metra Electric (IC) tracks. The IC was built as a 10-track ROW, but only 6 remain. Metra uses part of the ROW for an unpaved maintenance road. I think that's continuous all the way to 63rd, at least. The CN (IC) freight trackage north of 67th or so would also be unused once the SCAL is abandoned.

BUT, I don't know how many conventioneers want to go to Hyde Park.
Metra's agreement with the city/MPEA to allow the McCormick Place busway specifies that it can't be used by CTA.

As for Valpo/Lowell service, I think Metra would want that to come into LaSalle Street over NYC/RI tracks.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
As for Valpo/Lowell service, I think Metra would want that to come into LaSalle Street over NYC/RI tracks.
But aren't the tracks to LaSalle Street Station non-electrified?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 4:31 AM
Urbane observer

Yes, just like the tracks to Lowell and Valparaiso.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, just like the tracks to Lowell and Valparaiso.
So NICTD wouldn't want these new lines to be electrified?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 5:55 AM

I suppose that's far more expensive than any benefits that would be gained from electrification. It's not just the construction of the catenaries, but also their ongoing maintenance.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 5:56 AM
Show me the blueprints

Want to do and will do are very different things.

If I understand it correctly, South Shore(I hate calling it by that stupid acronym, when you have a brand as awesome as South Shore Line, why would want to go by the operater name?)Phew! Now that that's off my chest... Anyways, if I understand it correctly, South Shore (unfortunitely) plans on running dual-mode equipment on these extentions insead of constructing costly, but much more awesome catenary. That means one of two things:

1) Similar looking to current MU's that have both a roof top pantograph and a cab car with a diesel-electric motor, or...

2) I Hope not but... A diesel-electric loco with rooftop pantograph operating as push pull, ala Metra style.

I really hope they see the light and go all out for an overhead electric system. The South Shore is America's last true electric interurban. Let's capitalize on that and expand what makes it good in the first place.

The extensions would be great, i just would like to see them done with some foresight.

That reminds me of a favorite expression of mine:
"Hindsight is like foresight, but without a future."

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 6:25 AM

Could you explain the difference between the two?
Also, doesn't the NE corridor count as a 'true electric interurban'?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 7:24 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Could you explain the difference between the two?
Also, doesn't the NE corridor count as a 'true electric interurban'?
It's what you would call continuous electrification, although I am not positive its all overhead. It seems like there may be sections of third rail.

It's not what you would call an interurban. The NE corridor is really a heavily travelled, multi-train passenger rail corridor along a megalopolis spine of extremely high population and between very large cities and their respective suburbs (nowadays almost completely uninterupted). Multicar trains and infrastructure to handle high speeds(but could still be much much better—look to Europe or Japan for what we should be capable of.)

Whereas an interurban was traditionally a slower speed network connecting larger cities to smaller cities and towns in an immediate region, and often travelling through rural stretches and towns to reach those places. The equipment was/is usually single to 3-4 cars max. The rail infrastructure also was/is not geared for high speeds and has a much less "constructed" presence, as typified by the South Shore as it travels past the dunes. The homemade nature of the South Shore in these areas are what gives it its' magic for me.

Historical examples in the midwest include... Illinois Terminal (St. Louis to smaller downstate cities like Peoria, C-U, B-N, Springfield, Alton, etc.), The Chicago, Aurora and Elgin, The North Shore Line(unique for actually running on the elevated to get downtown), Indiana Railroad.

Any site or book that tells the story of Samual Insull tells the story of the electric interurban as he was extremely instrumental in their development.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development