HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 1:47 PM
PHL

Love how the gold from the entrance continues around those 2nd floor windows, the street level treatments are super impressive for this project, underrated even. Just beautiful. The restored historic facades are the cherry on top. A future classic for our city. I was slightly underwhelmed with this project's facade while it was going up, but I was super wrong.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 7:50 PM

Restaurant Speculation

So this is a bit of educated speculation but I'm pretty sure the restaurant here will be a Greek/Mediterranean type theme from Michael Schulson with Konstantinos Pitsillides of Kanella as Chef.

The Schulson bit has been known for a while but basically confirmed today as a liquor license transfer is up linking "Laurel Restaurant Group LLC" at 1930 Sansom to Michael Schulson.

The theme speculation is based on the instagram of Konstantinos Pitsillides the former chef/owner of Kanella who's been teasing dishes as menu development for Schulson. He also posted a picture of The Laurel under construction a little while ago.

Putting that together I'm very excited as Kanella was one of my favorite spots when he was running it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Putting that together I'm very excited as Kanella was one of my favorite spots when he was running it.
awesome!! Loved Kanella (still good but slightly less so).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 9:10 PM
Chris

Michael Schulson brings on former Kanella chef for new Laurel restaurant in Rittenhouse

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...he-laurel.html

Schulson told the Business Journal that the Laurel project is currently in its research and development phase, with the final name, design and menu for the restaurant still being worked out. The name has been narrowed down to three or four contenders that he declined to disclose.

Construction on the approximately 5,500-square-foot space is estimated to begin in about 30 days, Schulson said. He expects the restaurant to open in seven to eight months.

“It will feel unique and different than anything anyone's ever eaten in this city," Schulson said.

While the menu is not finalized, Pitsillides said it will feature ingredients unfamiliar to Philadelphians to fill the gap in the local market left by a lack of Mediterranean cuisine and to highlight "real Mediterranean cooking." The restaurant will also have a charcoal oven that will add to the flavor of the food.

When it opens, Schulson estimates the restaurant will seat between 140 and 165 guests. A floor plan submitted at the city's Zoning Board of Adjustment hearing on March 29, shows 154 seats available across the 100-seat indoor dining room, 32-seat outdoor dining space, a 13-seat bar and a nine-seat drink rail.

Along with the Schulson restaurant, luxury fitness club Equinox also plans to make its Philadelphia debut in a portion of the Laurel’s retail and restaurant space.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 1:09 PM

Why is the sidewalk still blocked?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Why is the sidewalk still blocked?
Because it's convenient for the contractors?

That's not meant to be snarky; the amount of sidewalks, parking lanes, and travels lanes that get blocked in this city for 2-3 years at a time is just absurd.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 2:56 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Because it's convenient for the contractors?

That's not meant to be snarky; the amount of sidewalks, parking lanes, and travels lanes that get blocked in this city for 2-3 years at a time is just absurd.
I dont understand it? Why is placing not even 36 Feet worth of scaffolding such a hard thing for these multii millions dollar deals hard to do? NYC Building owners have scaffolding up for decades & Developments here cant even do it for a 2 year project.

Wasnt a bill passed making it a requirement to have scaffolding? What is going on?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 5:59 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

by
Tony Valuez
, on Flickr

by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 11:53 AM

^The lobby exterior looks great.

I was curious how the Sansom side is coming along, looks great too - beautiful restoration of these buildings. The smaller Spanish villa-style building is now "The Ronan Flats" - https://www.ronanflats.com/#AboutUs (more info below).

"Welcome to Ronan Flats, a 32-unit income-restricted community located on historic Sansom Street in Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia. Located just one block from Rittenhouse Square Park, our prime location offers our residents access to the phenomenal dining, nightlife and shopping opportunities that abound in Rittenhouse Square. All applicants must meet certain income requirements in order to qualify for a studio apartment.

The rent for each of our studios is $1,107. As this property is considered affordable housing there are income requirements. Your yearly income must fall between the following minimum $26,568 - maximum $44,280 to apply and qualify."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
^The lobby exterior looks great.

I was curious how the Sansom side is coming along, looks great too - beautiful restoration of these buildings. The smaller Spanish villa-style building is now "The Ronan Flats" - https://www.ronanflats.com/#AboutUs (more info below).

"Welcome to Ronan Flats, a 32-unit income-restricted community located on historic Sansom Street in Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia. Located just one block from Rittenhouse Square Park, our prime location offers our residents access to the phenomenal dining, nightlife and shopping opportunities that abound in Rittenhouse Square. All applicants must meet certain income requirements in order to qualify for a studio apartment.

The rent for each of our studios is $1,107. As this property is considered affordable housing there are income requirements. Your yearly income must fall between the following minimum $26,568 - maximum $44,280 to apply and qualify."
Access to phenomenal dining , shopping and nightlife will really come in handy to those residents.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 8:54 PM
Chris

The Laurel hit $100M in sales recently. And article mentions Equinox is still on the way.

Done Deals: Stateside Vodka signs 40,000 SF lease; The Laurel hits $100M in condo sales
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...dos-sales.html

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 5:22 PM

Do we have any recent pictures of the amenity backside of the building? Seems like it is taking a while for it to be completed.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfire View Post
Do we have any recent pictures of the amenity backside of the building? Seems like it is taking a while for it to be completed.
The live-cam is still active:

https://thelaurelrittenhouse.com/live-cam/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 7:29 PM
Chris

Quote:
And Equinox is taking their sweet old time outfitting the space, but their marketing team says the location is still happening...

Looks great on the camera view though.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I walk by this portion all the time and I think the fact that it also contains the drive lane for the parking + Sansom street has slowed things down, but it’s still being worked on. They just posted the alcohol permits in the last month or so.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 2:54 PM

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Bad link, my man.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 4:23 PM

Found this....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwDeoHXMWZg/

Aside from the talent level in the pool, this looks amazing. lol.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Found this....

Lol. Yeah no sh#t, if you’re gonna spend the money on a drone operator - might as well spice it up a bit. You too can spend millions to hang out with old, pale, flabby men.

Space looks great tho.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 5:11 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Found this....

Omg that is the first thing I noticed too. I'm awful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive