HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6321  
Old Posted May 21, 2022, 2:46 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
No pets allowed
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: art deco gateway
Posts: 55,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
"90 stories - making it the tallest tower in Texas". Since when does number of floors make a building the tallest?
The media loves the word "stories" I wonder why.

Seriously, though, it could end up being 900 feet and still technically be "90 stories" as that is the generic term for a 900 foot building. Even on the forum people still suggest a 10 story building is 100 feet tall, which if you know anything about building heights and building types then it's unlikely 10 stories would be 100 feet, and would likely be taller. So me reading 90 stories makes me think of the 900 foot number. Of course, it really could have 90 floors and indeed be a new tallest for Texas. The terms stories and floors aren't always talking about the same thing. One is literally referring to how many floors a building has, and stories can be a rounded up generic number for a building. For example, if you go to the Tower of the Americas, they'll tell you the tower is 75 stories. It's a bit odd considering it only has 3 floors. The 75 story term is referring to the overall height of the tower, including the antenna - 750 feet. Which itself isn't correct either since officially antennas aren't counted in official building heights. The Empire State Building, for example, is 1,250 feet to the top of the dirigible mast, but the top of the antenna tops out at 1,454 feet.
__________________
We made a toaster dance with it, and a bathtub tried to eat his friend's baby. - Winston Zeddemore
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6322  
Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:29 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nomadic
Posts: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The media loves the word "stories" I wonder why.

Seriously, though, it could end up being 900 feet and still technically be "90 stories" as that is the generic term for a 900 foot building. Even on the forum people still suggest a 10 story building is 100 feet tall, which if you know anything about building heights and building types then it's unlikely 10 stories would be 100 feet, and would likely be taller. So me reading 90 stories makes me think of the 900 foot number. Of course, it really could have 90 floors and indeed be a new tallest for Texas. The terms stories and floors aren't always talking about the same thing. One is literally referring to how many floors a building has, and stories can be a rounded up generic number for a building. For example, if you go to the Tower of the Americas, they'll tell you the tower is 75 stories. It's a bit odd considering it only has 3 floors. The 75 story term is referring to the overall height of the tower, including the antenna - 750 feet. Which itself isn't correct either since officially antennas aren't counted in official building heights. The Empire State Building, for example, is 1,250 feet to the top of the dirigible mast, but the top of the antenna tops out at 1,454 feet.
The TOA in San Antonio is 735' to the tip of the current antenna.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6323  
Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:42 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
No pets allowed
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: art deco gateway
Posts: 55,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
The TOA in San Antonio is 735' to the tip of the current antenna.
Yeah, I remember something about a FAA permit showing that. That would be a reduction from the historical 750 foot number I've always read.
__________________
We made a toaster dance with it, and a bathtub tried to eat his friend's baby. - Winston Zeddemore
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6324  
Old Posted May 22, 2022, 3:06 AM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The media loves the word "stories" I wonder why.

Seriously, though, it could end up being 900 feet and still technically be "90 stories" as that is the generic term for a 900 foot building. Even on the forum people still suggest a 10 story building is 100 feet tall, which if you know anything about building heights and building types then it's unlikely 10 stories would be 100 feet, and would likely be taller. So me reading 90 stories makes me think of the 900 foot number. Of course, it really could have 90 floors and indeed be a new tallest for Texas. The terms stories and floors aren't always talking about the same thing. One is literally referring to how many floors a building has, and stories can be a rounded up generic number for a building. For example, if you go to the Tower of the Americas, they'll tell you the tower is 75 stories. It's a bit odd considering it only has 3 floors. The 75 story term is referring to the overall height of the tower, including the antenna - 750 feet. Which itself isn't correct either since officially antennas aren't counted in official building heights. The Empire State Building, for example, is 1,250 feet to the top of the dirigible mast, but the top of the antenna tops out at 1,454 feet.

True but floor count does give you an idea of height, and today even residential ceilings tend to be higher, especially if luxury rentals (or condos).

Not sure if this would be a mixed use tower but 90 floors could easily put it in the 11-1150 range, maybe higher.

Even worst case scenario it's still a 900+ footer.
__________________
Dump Trump 2020
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6325  
Old Posted May 22, 2022, 5:03 AM
Syndic's Avatar
Syndic Syndic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ies-tower.html

Judge approves $95M sale of prime downtown development site once controlled by Nate Paul

Dooon't get me wrong, I'm over-the-moon about 1) Nate Paul losing properties and 2) the news of a new tallest in Texas but for some reason I always pictured this space getting filled by a new downtown public market. Remember when there was talk about that? I always thought this was a prime spot due to being loooong and very central.
__________________
Anti-Leslie Pool. Bury I-35!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6326  
Old Posted May 22, 2022, 10:47 PM
Dariusb Dariusb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belton, TX
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Dooon't get me wrong, I'm over-the-moon about 1) Nate Paul losing properties and 2) the news of a new tallest in Texas but for some reason I always pictured this space getting filled by a new downtown public market. Remember when there was talk about that? I always thought this was a prime spot due to being loooong and very central.
Maybe they'll have a ground floor market with residences and offices above. Don't know if they could put that there like that but just a thought.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6327  
Old Posted May 22, 2022, 11:18 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the lights are much brighter
Posts: 11,365
The 3rd & Congress 90-story mixed use tower is envisioned as office, residential & hotel. That is the same mix as the 1,022' 98 Red River supertall. Assuming the same floor to ceiling ratios as 98RR, 3rd & Congress would be 1,243'.
__________________
Follow The ATX on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TheATX1

Things will be great when you're downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6328  
Old Posted May 26, 2022, 4:25 AM
clubtokyo's Avatar
clubtokyo clubtokyo is online now
クラブトクヨ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,694
That’s exciting! Let’s keep going taller!
__________________
“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6329  
Old Posted May 26, 2022, 5:57 PM
Dariusb Dariusb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belton, TX
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
That’s exciting! Let’s keep going taller!
I know right! Just keeps getting better and better!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6330  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 12:15 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the lights are much brighter
Posts: 11,365
Just to keep this thread from falling to page 2, in the last two days we got proposals for two 410' office towers on the south side of the river to continue the southerly downtown expansion and a 529' condo tower in the Rainey District.
__________________
Follow The ATX on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TheATX1

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Jul 1, 2022 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6331  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 2:07 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the lights are much brighter
Posts: 11,365
The list of the tallest Austin projects has been updated:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...05&postcount=6

There are at least 56 projects over 300'. Of those, 32 are at least 400', 21 are at least 500', 11 are over 600' and 5 are over 700'.

There are also 10-12 other projects that are not listed because the height or floor count is not yet showing up on city documents. Several of those are likely to be in the 500'-700' range.
__________________
Follow The ATX on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TheATX1

Things will be great when you're downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6332  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 2:09 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the lights are much brighter
Posts: 11,365
Here's a list of the 20 tallest projects underway - 12 are at least 500'

__________________
Follow The ATX on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TheATX1

Things will be great when you're downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6333  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 2:29 PM
ATXboom ATXboom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,768
Bonkers to think Austin will likely have a 1200 ft building in the next several years
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6334  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 4:27 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the lights are much brighter
Posts: 11,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Bonkers to think Austin will likely have a 1200 ft building in the next several years
Yes, I'm looking forward to the site plan filing for 3rd & Congress to see what we are going to get as the next, next, next new tallest. There is already some money behind that project.
__________________
Follow The ATX on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TheATX1

Things will be great when you're downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6335  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 10:01 PM
Dariusb Dariusb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belton, TX
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Yes, I'm looking forward to the site plan filing for 3rd & Congress to see what we are going to get as the next, next, next new tallest. There is already some money behind that project.
If Austin keeps it up with these projects getting taller and taller it'll end up having the south/southwest's tallest buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6336  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 2:49 AM
R1070 R1070 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 457
I'm surprised 98 Red River didn't try to beat the BofA in Atlanta in height given it's just a foot shorter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6337  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 6:02 AM
Dariusb Dariusb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belton, TX
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I'm surprised 98 Red River didn't try to beat the BofA in Atlanta in height given it's just a foot shorter.
Oh wow! I had no idea they were that close in height.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6338  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 10:00 PM
R1070 R1070 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Oh wow! I had no idea they were that close in height.
BofA in Atlanta is 1,023 feet to the top of the spire. If 98 Red River is 1,021 or 1,022 feet, it will be very close.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6339  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 10:17 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nomadic
Posts: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
BofA in Atlanta is 1,023 feet to the top of the spire. If 98 Red River is 1,021 or 1,022 feet, it will be very close.
Didn't a FAA filing have 98 RR pegged at up to 1,034'?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6340  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 1:22 AM
R1070 R1070 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Didn't a FAA filing have 98 RR pegged at up to 1,034'?
I think that was to allow for the crane height.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:49 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.