HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 4:45 PM

- I'm sure the elevator bays will be allowed to go if the only suitable plan is carving out the inside of the Bay. Also the exterior awning – bizarre it's on the list as it was added in the late 50s.

- I'm sure the Terasse Boisjoli residents will realize an actual balcony would have been much better than whatever that thing is they got.

- I'm not usually a "BUT THE TRAFFIC!!" type, but with The Melody going up I'm pretty concerned about the traffic at Chancellor and the Bishop exit intersection. It's already a ridiculous and dangerous mess there... the city really needs to rethink how that whole area functions. I'm not really sure how to improve it other than closing off the mall access... maybe a roundabout?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 5:04 PM

With the Melody since it’s a retirement home I don’t think it’ll have too much of an impact on rush hour traffic. However, your roundabout suggestion is a very interesting idea and probably a necessity as with the Applebee’s closed it should provide ample space for implementation and would do wonders for the traffic flow. Remove the McDonald’s entrance on Chancellor while at it.

Also, I really hope they rezone that whole strip on Pembina to allow for mid-rise residential and mixed use development throughout the abundance of parking lots. With the bike lanes, RT, and proximity to Uni it could really use some further densification.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 6:55 PM

re: The Terrasse Boisjoli thing... having lived in buildings with balconies I'm not sure there is a more underused amenity than that. In practice they are almost always empty. I doubt most of the residents will miss them.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
re: The Terrasse Boisjoli thing... having lived in buildings with balconies I'm not sure there is a more underused amenity than that. In practice they are almost always empty. I doubt most of the residents will miss them.
From the high-rises I can see out my windows; it's basically just smokers that use balconies with any regularity. A few barbecues get lit up one or two times a year. A few people that sit outside for the sunrise a few times a week.

People like the idea of a balcony. Most won't use them.

But smokers. Making good use of their balconies.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 1:45 AM

I must defend the honour of my fellow balcony-users! I basically live out there, and I know at least couple of my neighbours are outside extensively.

But I have to say others here are right. I'm always shocked by how few use theirs.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 3:16 AM
What could go wrong?

Funny about all the flak we like to give to Shindico on these forums, they are the only one out of all these buildings that is building a concrete structure. The photo doesn't do the building justice regarding it's size. It is a pretty large building when you are coming down Taylor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post

Taylor Residences (1120 Taylor Avenue)

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
I must defend the honour of my fellow balcony-users! I basically live out there, and I know at least couple of my neighbours are outside extensively.

But I have to say others here are right. I'm always shocked by how few use theirs.
My plants are out there every year, They really like it.

Last edited by OTA in Winnipeg; Oct 24, 2021 at 7:26 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 7:13 PM

I love having a balcony also as it's good for having plants, checking the temperature in the morning and the odd smoke or two. It's also kind of cool as we can leave stuff out there and see it from the street, like a pumpkin for Halloween, flags for Canada Day, and flowers in summer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 9:18 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

most people prolly just leave the door open on them in the summer for fresh air more then anything els

but they are nice to have just like having a deck on the back of ur house gets used when u feel like it or leaving the screen door open for fresh air

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 12:12 PM

Another building burned down on the North Main strip, this time at Euclid and Main. The building was reportedly abandoned.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.6223182

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Another building burned down on the North Main strip, this time at Euclid and Main. The building was reportedly abandoned.

Bumtown takes another hit

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 12:37 PM

Main Street north of Logan is rapidly deteriorating and there seems to be no end in sight. It also seems the city really is ok with this area appearing so desolate.

Where do we even start in regards to revitalizing this mess?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Main Street north of Logan is rapidly deteriorating and there seems to be no end in sight. It also seems the city really is ok with this area appearing so desolate.

Where do we even start in regards to revitalizing this mess?
Wait for the rest of it to rot/burn and eventually it will get overhauled. Otherwise no politician wants to touch that area other than to centralize social services there.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 1:51 PM

I was surprised to read the building in question was considered abandoned by WFPS... I always figured the abandoned-looking buildings along Main were just occupied by businesses that don't rely on passing traffic. It seems like a pretty good central location for something like that.

Downtown itself went through a bit of an upswing but that strip of North Main past Logan has been declining for decades, probably going back to the 50s. It at least maintained a nice urban streetscape for many years but even that's eroding as buildings slowly get lost to fire and nothing is ever built to replace any of them.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

shame as that building was rigged up as a call center and offices across multiple buildings

used to be canadameds.com's call center and offices till the owner darren jorgeson ran into problems with government

thats actualy multiple buildings up to where the funeral chapel parking is

was a store called bargin world when i was a kid had good selection of stuff actualy
then pointdouglas pharmacy that moved across the st when canada meds took over the block
then a fish store that moved half way up the block to the old carpet store
then wizards video alond with their adult video rental 18+ store front

then empty space

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
What would you like the City to do to help remedy the complex socioeconomic challenges that have caused the area to deteriorate? Hire more police or firefighters? Give TIF grants to developers who want to rebuild the area? Build a recreation centre?

The city has a nearly non-existent toolset to deal with poverty and addiction issues since health and social services is provincial jurisdiction. The most they could do is better enable police and firefighters to connect vulnerable people with provincial services, or provide tiny grants to developers who want to build in the area but those grants pale in comparison to construction and operating costs.

Poverty can really only be addressed at the Federal and Provincial level. The feds have done a good job getting children out of poverty with the Canada Child Benefit payments, but it's really up to the province to support mental and physical health, and treat addictions and substance abuse issues. This conservative government has done the bare minimum in that regard and so these issues have spiraled even further out of control.

Asking the police to clamp down harder on drugs and violence only gets us so far. Police respond to crime, but what we really need are strategies to prevent crime from happening in the first place, which is really beyond municipal jurisdiction in Manitoba.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
shame as that building was rigged up as a call center and offices across multiple buildings

used to be canadameds.com's call center and offices till the owner darren jorgeson ran into problems with government
I forgot about that... I wonder if he still owned the building?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:40 PM

I have no idea where we start, the situation along North Main is so unfortunate. I feel like the City struggles to even attract businesses and investment into the downtown and inner city neighbourhoods that seem to be experiencing some momentum. I imagine the prospects for North Main cannot be good.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:40 PM

634 Portage is going ahead to City Centre committee for zoning changes.

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/Vie...onId=&InitUrl=

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I have no idea where we start, the situation along North Main is so unfortunate. I feel like the City struggles to even attract businesses and investment into the downtown and inner city neighbourhoods that seem to be experiencing some momentum. I imagine the prospects for North Main cannot be good.
There have been varying degrees of improvement around most parts of downtown and "inner city" Winnipeg (a strange term that seems to refer more to prevalence of poverty than geographical location as the words would imply), but that stretch of North Main has been very resistant to any of that. Other than maybe some minor streetscaping, I am hard pressed to think of any improvements along North Main from the CP tracks to Mountain Avenue over the last 30-odd years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan