HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 2:59 PM

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/provinci...rned-1.6140183

Quote:
“I made the decision then to approve the project based on the city’s own planning policies and our secondary planning, Complete Communities 2.0, which calls for intensification and density, especially along major corridors and that location is a major corridor,” Gillingham said.
I'm pissed about the Municipal Board decision, but I am somewhat encouraged by Gillingham's response to it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post

I'm pissed about the Municipal Board decision, but I am somewhat encouraged by Gillingham's response to it.
Yes but let's see if he can do anything about it.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Yes, parkade first. They are interested to see the uptake on 300 Main.
I'm a little skeptical of how much demand there is for parkades. I have a pretty clear view of a couple downtown parkades. They're never even close to full, whether it's a workday or hockey game or concert.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
The dreaded Winnipeg phase 2?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 4:05 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Who do they think is going to park in a 600 stall parkade if they don’t build the residential? Seems like an odd decision.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post

Can we just let Charleswood separate from us again and let them go bankrupt because of their poor land use decisions? The response from that 1 Charleswoood resident stating that a 10 storey building will “destroy what Charleswood is about” is such a ridiculous, nonsensical, and shortsighted take. Like there isn’t already a few midrises across the street on Roblin and Hendon…

God why is it so hard for this city too figure out infill development.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 6:08 PM

I don’t know how they would be allowed by the city without signing a letter of intent to just build a parkade , because that’s the typical as a forumer said the dreaded Winnipeg Phase 2 , can’t just have a few story parkade on that site .

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Who do they think is going to park in a 600 stall parkade if they don’t build the residential? Seems like an odd decision.
Just screams bait and switch

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 9:56 PM

I just drove by the 285 smith site. The lot is actually not that big. The building will probably not be as big and bulky as the render makes it out be. It will probably be quite slim, which is a good thing.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 1:54 AM

i don't usually expect the religious section of the Freep to have anything relevant to share on this forum but it had a juicy little article in it today:

DOWNTOWN DIGS
John Longhurst
By: John Longhurst
Posted: 2:02 AM CDT Saturday, Nov. 5, 2022

The Mennonite Central Committee Manitoba is moving to the Exchange District — a location it says better reflects its mission — after 36 years in the suburbs.

In the spring, the organization will leave its office off of Pembina Highway near the University of Manitoba, and relocate to the east Exchange.

“We want to be closer to where the people we serve live,” said executive director Darryl Loewen. “Newcomers, refugees, Indigenous people, youth in need of employment."

The MCC’s new location (still being renovated) at 140 Bannatyne. MCC will be taking over the first floor and part of the second floor of this building.

Its mission is “to share God’s love and compassion through relief, development and peacebuilding.”

The move will also bring the organization closer to its partners in the inner city.

“So many newcomer organizations are close to the new location,” Loewen said. “We look forward to being closer to that community of non-profits.”

The move will enable the organization to bring all of its 30 staff into one place. Currently, some staff work out of its Plaza Drive location, while others work out of a building on Henderson Highway in Elmwood.

“We want to work at creating a good staff culture together,” said Loewen, noting the two groups seldom see each other on a regular basis.

Loewen is high on the new building at 140 Bannatyne Ave.

“It’s a nice building on a nice street, the neighbourhood has a good feel,” he said, noting the organization will be renting about 12,000 square feet on the first floor and part of the second floor — about 3,000 square feet less than the present two locations.

“It has beautiful architecture with post and beam construction and big windows,” he said.

Also moving to the new location is Sam’s Place, a social enterprise café at the Henderson Highway location.

The café, which serves a small lunch menu, provides employment skills to youth and young adults who face challenges entering the workforce. “It will be a great location for people nearby who want coffee or lunch,” said Loewen.

The café will be located on the first floor alongside MCC Manitoba’s material resources centre, where volunteers pack and ship relief kits, comforters, blankets and other aid for people in the developing world.

The café will be separated from the material resources centre by a glass wall that will enable visitors to see materials being prepared for shipment overseas.

“We’re excited to be able to show that off,” said Loewen, noting seeing volunteers at work might prompt café patrons to become interested in that aspect of MCC’s mission.

The new location features large windows with post and beam construction, Loewen said.

The resources centre is equipped with a freight elevator and truck-level door for easy movement of items. “It’s a straight shot to the elevator and truck loading,” Loewen said. “It’s very functional.”

Loewen is aware some MCC supporters in southern Manitoba might be reluctant to drive to the city to visit the new office. For them, the organization has a material aid resource centre in Plum Coulee where they can drop off items for donation.

Janet Plenert, chair of the MCC Manitoba board, is excited about the move.

“The world is so broken,” she said, adding the organization wants to be closer to people experiencing brokenness in their lives. “We want to make it easier for them to get to us.”

By leasing and renovating space in a historic building, instead of building a new office, MCC Manitoba will also lessen its carbon footprint, she said.

While there won’t be the same amount of free parking as at the current location, the organization will rent spaces in a nearby parkade for visitors.

Loewen declined to say how much the old office sold for, or name the buyer except to say it is a development company that will use the office for its headquarters and use the river-front property behind it for multi-family housing.

MCC Manitoba co-owned the location with its national office. MCC Canada staff will not move to the new Exchange location; an announcement about its new office is expected at the end of November.

“We are relocating separately and amicably,” said Loewen. “It’s a friendly, blessed parting.”

faith@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 3:21 PM

Quote:
if not fitting the character of the neighbourhood is good enough reasoning for the province to reject multi-family buildings, why wouldn't every NIMBY group send it there....you'd think they would need to have some less subjective criteria.
Under section 236.1(1), all you need is 25 'voters' to object to a rezoning proposal. The term 'voter' isn't defined in the act, but I take it mean a resident. So as long as 25 NIMBYs file a written objection, it's off to the Municipal Board.

This whole process can take up to six months of uncertainty for the developer... and as 4025 Roblin showed, the Board's decision could be as wavey-gravy as any community committee decision.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Under section 236.1(1), all you need is 25 'voters' to object to a rezoning proposal. The term 'voter' isn't defined in the act, but I take it mean a resident. So as long as 25 NIMBYs file a written objection, it's off to the Municipal Board.

This whole process can take up to six months of uncertainty for the developer... and as 4025 Roblin showed, the Board's decision could be as wavey-gravy as any community committee decision.
This is what frightens me the most. The Roblin project not getting built is bad, but by introducing a lot of additional uncertainty, it's going to chase off a lot of project at the margin.

At minimum, the Act should be reformed so that if the board kills a project that council approved, the province should refund any expenses incurred by the developer up to that point.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 4:12 PM

Take from it what you will, but the FOR SALE/LEASE signs are now absent at the former CRA building on Broadway. Could be quite transformative whatever goes on with that bunker.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
i don't usually expect the religious section of the Freep to have anything relevant to share on this forum but it had a juicy little article in it today:

DOWNTOWN DIGS
John Longhurst
By: John Longhurst
Posted: 2:02 AM CDT Saturday, Nov. 5, 2022

The Mennonite Central Committee Manitoba is moving to the Exchange District — a location it says better reflects its mission — after 36 years in the suburbs.

In the spring, the organization will leave its office off of Pembina Highway near the University of Manitoba, and relocate to the east Exchange.
That's interesting. I always associated the MCC more with international relief and development projects, not so much with local concerns. Good on them for finding a central location that better enables them to carry out their goals.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:

The Municipal Board never listens to residents outside the perimeter. Unless there are significant concerns raised form a provincial or municipal entity all decisions made by the Municipal Board (99.9%) tend to be in the favor of the municipality.

I've had instances where large groups of residents (50-100 people) have been in opposition to a project and the Municipal Board has steam rolled over them in the greater interest of the municipality.

Seeing the exact opposite taking place in Winnipeg tells you all you need to know about its politically driven purposes.

Someone(s) with deep conservative pockets lives in the area and didn't want it. Completely reductionist explanation on my part but the most likely explanation in this instance.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 8:11 PM

So when can we expect to hear more on the 44 storey st regis proposal? anyone with more insider info? its all ive been thinking about these past few days.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 8:56 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

Had Roblin only gone to Community Committee? When in the process does the appeal happen? I don't see anywhere that it went to EPC or council.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Had Roblin only gone to Community Committee? When in the process does the appeal happen? I don't see anywhere that it went to EPC or council.
You need a minimum of 25 in person/submitted objections to be received by the end of the Public Hearing held at Community Committees to consider the proposed re-zoning amendment. Prior to second reading the Public Hearing would be held and opposition registered.

Provided there is sufficient opposition at the C.C level, such as in this instance, the matter is kicked to the Municipal Board prior to it even making it to ECP or Council. The proposed amendment would need to have received under 25 registered objections for it to have been moved beyond C.C at that point.

Which is what makes the whole situation even more absurd. Council or EPC doesn't even get the opportunity to discuss it provided that target of 25 is met, until after it is decided upon by the Municipal Board. It's up to the Council members who chair the C.C and a bunch of unelected board members.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 9:44 PM
surely you agree with me

seriously...oh man...this just gets worse.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 10:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
seriously...oh man...this just gets worse.
Nice article on Gaboury by Vike today!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan