HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 4:05 PM
I am the law!

The black and white cookie trend across the nation makes me want to puke.

Toronto has an abundance of washed out silvers, greys, blues, greens, whatevers. It could use more colours that everyone identifies as the same including black.

The charcoal brick trend has given way to red brick. The decade of charcoal brick was reserved to mid rises and skyscraper podiums. Brick skyscrapers are being proposed in the current red brick era. A black brick skyscraper among different coloured brick and different shades and styles of red brick would be welcomed despite my worry over the wear and tear of brick and brick tile embedded on precast panels.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I'm not sure where black is being over done, at least in Toronto, and of the black buildings we have or are u/c almost all of them I like. Toronto is not dark and grey for half the year, but all of the silver and blue, and green all blend into each other. At least black stands out.
It's overdone in a lot of areas but there's no bigger offender than the Canary District, aka the Grey District. It's an unrelenting sea of black and grey buildings. It's downright oppressive. The same trend is happening across the country.

Toronto and most of Canada is objectively dark and grey from November to April. That period has no green vegetation, shorter days, and less sunshine than the other half of the year. This year has been particularly bad. We should be compensating for that with our built environment, not making it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The charcoal brick trend has given way to red brick. The decade of charcoal brick was reserved to mid rises and skyscraper podiums. Brick skyscrapers are being proposed in the current red brick era. A black brick skyscraper among different coloured brick and different shades and styles of red brick would be welcomed despite my worry over the wear and tear of brick and brick tile embedded on precast panels.
A change to red brick would be welcome. Red brick has been the city's vernacular for 200 years and it goes a long way to bringing some much needed colour and warmth to the winter landscape. We need more of it in new buildings.

Last edited by Mister F; Mar 24, 2023 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 5:48 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
It is, I really liked the tower just not it's placement in the skyline. 3 Others I'm glad seem dead are Union Park. The design is too Dubai for my liking.
Agreed. There are much better ways to add some architectural design to a glass box.

We don't really have much for large concentrations of (newer or otherwise) black buildings in the city, except the TD complex downtown. The trend toward warmer cladding types is great, considering charcoal brick is such a dull comparative cladding. I'll be happy if we see more projects like the Selby in the city, or even the Hampton.
It may be a building on the grey scale, but solid cladding, good design and no real thrills are something I can appreciate compared to a spandrel laden mess like say, 365 Church.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
Ugh, new buildings being black is the worst trend in architecture in the last decade.

Don't you like these?

River City Phase 3
River City 3 / Condos .... 170 Bayview Ave - Lawren Harris Square .... Toronto, Ontario by Greg's Southern Ontario (Catching Up Slowly), on Flickr

X Condos
1139 - a knife in the sky (x condo) by allan parke, on Flickr

from urbantoronto.ca
Alias u/c

E Condo

Hyatt Place uc

The only Black condos going up right now I don't like are Nubo because of the Quality of materials. Montage at City Place is ok. 199 Church is turning out alright like it's black clad neighbour to it's south. Other then those there are almost no other all black condos in the city U/C or built.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 6:05 PM

Quote:
It's overdone in a lot of areas but there's no bigger offender than the Canary District, aka the Grey District. It's an unrelenting sea of black and grey buildings. It's downright oppressive. The same trend is happening across the country.
Go through the 1141 diagrams of built and u/c structures in Toronto and you will see probably only about 5% are black.
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/...0784465&page=1

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 6:44 PM
Volatile Pacivist

River City Phase 3 is one of my favourite residential highrises in the country although I do wish it was a touch taller.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:26 PM

Phase 4 turned out nice as well.

source: https://bluescape.ca

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 10:44 PM

And the Nobus are looking good, imo.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Go through the 1141 diagrams of built and u/c structures in Toronto and you will see probably only about 5% are black.
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/...0784465&page=1
I think you're taking my initial post a bit too literally. I mentioned grey too, and primarily black and grey buildings are much more than 5%. It's a trend across the country.

Quote:
Don't you like these?
Some decent stuff there but hardly earth shattering. The half done jenga tower look is right up there in the list of unfortunate recent architectural trends.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 5:17 PM

Future Model of Etobicoke showing the big changes coming to Bloor Street (between Hwy 427 and Islington) and the impact of the 2150 Lake Shore master-plan on the Humber Bay skyline.

steveve

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 8:17 PM

Future aerial model from steveve hints at the breadth of the construction zone known as downtown (u/c in blue).

steveve

The pale blue line is the future path of the Ontario Line subway now u/c.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 12:23 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

A fly-by of Forma East:

Video Link

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 1:32 AM

Quote:
I think you're taking my initial post a bit too literally. I mentioned grey too, and primarily black and grey buildings are much more than 5%. It's a trend across the country.

Some decent stuff there but hardly earth shattering. The half done jenga tower look is right up there in the list of unfortunate recent architectural trends.
So sorry decent black buildings aren't earth shattering. And your initial rant was about hating black buildings. Like I stated they represent a tiny percentage of built structures in Toronto and across Canada. If you want to lump them in with grey then yoy better add white to buildings you dislike as well.

You must be a blue green fan. So sorry that over used trend is coming to an end. Also Meastro in Montreal is liiking great, do you hate those as well?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
A fly-by of Forma East:

Video Link

[IMG][/IMG]
I really hope that Elephant and Castle mixed use tower happens. Even if it's black. Look at it there in a sea of black. This is Canada its dark 182 days a year. What are they thinking?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 2:30 PM

C'mon... the bottom third of 212 King West is trimmed in pale terracotta cladding along King (office component). Likely viewed daily by more pedestrians than tourists up the CN Tower.

UT

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:12 PM

Midtown Toronto:

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
C'mon... the bottom third of 212 King West is trimmed in pale terracotta cladding along King (office component). Likely viewed daily by more pedestrians than tourists up the CN Tower.

I was kidding, I love the podium and everything about that tower. I hope it still goes ahead as planned though I could see less floors used for office and more residential now.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 5:28 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

212 King W chopped down from a supertall to 254 metres:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 10:37 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

53-57 Adelaide E:

Video Link

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 12:39 AM
Closed account

Does this guy post on thr forum as well? These are some great renders.

https://toronto.urbanize.city/post/f...coming-toronto

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada