HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:25 PM
tilted & shifted

Hotel Zachary

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:52 PM

better than I feared. That front setback does a good job of letting the ballpark breathe

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 6:40 PM

Was at the Cubs - Cards game Saturday and caught the view of that glass wall heading out. The hotel looks really good.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
better than I feared. That front setback does a good job of letting the ballpark breathe
They really have. The hotel, along with the office building and the ballpark itself now create a very nice urban space.

Where the ballpark is getting really hemmed in is to the south. The building on Addison is going to be too tall before its first setback and...well, probably ugly

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 9:22 PM

Wow, love it!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 8:16 PM

Addison & Clark Development h/t Wrigley Aerials

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 8:58 PM

Complete transformation and upgrade for the area.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 3:25 PM
You had me at herro...

I live right next to the ballpark, I LOVE the plaza and that new office building, and the hotel is coming out really slick. The development to the south might be a bit of a hulk, but it won't be right on the corner, and that south end of Wrigley isn't a focal point anyway. Along Clark from Addison up to Waveland is really nice. I walked by the movie in the plaza the other night, Ghostbusters, the plaza was packed and it was very "quaint".

The hotel doesn't at all look like the 1990's strip mall horror show that I thought, with the light glass and tan fake brick. It's very unimposing, the glass is dark and sleek, the setbacks are great, the curves are nice. It's looking like it's going to be a great addition and not hogging much away from Wrigley. Same with the office building, it looks clean and sharp, lots of black, it has setbacks and doesn't thrust itself out there at all when you're coming up Clark or in the plaza. The upper deck on it is a great addition.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
I live right next to the ballpark, I LOVE the plaza and that new office building, and the hotel is coming out really slick. The development to the south might be a bit of a hulk, but it won't be right on the corner, and that south end of Wrigley isn't a focal point anyway. Along Clark from Addison up to Waveland is really nice. I walked by the movie in the plaza the other night, Ghostbusters, the plaza was packed and it was very "quaint".

The hotel doesn't at all look like the 1990's strip mall horror show that I thought, with the light glass and tan fake brick. It's very unimposing, the glass is dark and sleek, the setbacks are great, the curves are nice. It's looking like it's going to be a great addition and not hogging much away from Wrigley. Same with the office building, it looks clean and sharp, lots of black, it has setbacks and doesn't thrust itself out there at all when you're coming up Clark or in the plaza. The upper deck on it is a great addition.
HEY - I live right by Wrigley too! Are you going to the meeting on Monday?

As for the Zachary, I am VERY pleased. Viewed from the northeast (next the the Starbucks Reserve), it is long and sleek, like an ocean liner. Viewed from the southeast, it frames the plaza beautifully.

The tan panels between floors are just part of the overall fenestration, not meant to emulate bricks. The lower two floors are going to be brick (and lots of glass and open terraces. I think the bricks will be laid one at a time like they did on the office building.

Finally, the glass on the curved corner is going up, AND IT LOOKS SPECTACULAR!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:21 PM
tilted & shifted

Say adios to Taco Bell near Wrigley Field

The days of Cubs fans eating at the Taco Bell across from Wrigley Field are numbered.

In one of two newly proposed additions to the rapidly changing landscape around the ballpark, a developer that recently bought the site of the Wrigleyville fast-food staple unveiled plans for a three-story retail and restaurant complex on the property.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale..._medium=Social

Barf. Can't they up w/something better? And where are all the Wrigleyville bros going to fight once it's torn down?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Barf. Can't they up w/something better?
it's still roughly 8 trillion times better than a freaking stand-alone Taco Hell sitting in a goddamn parking lot.

this is why american cities so often suck: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9471...7i13312!8i6656

the proposed replacement certainly doesn't appear to be anything special, but at least it fills the lot with active street-front uses. i'll take it.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:37 PM

i dont understand why all these new proposals have to look the way they do. theyre aggressively bland and homogenous. and that goes for pretty much every new project on this strip. welcome to schaumburg...now everyone visiting from there will never have to feel like they ever left

Last edited by Via Chicago; Aug 2, 2017 at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Say adios to Taco Bell near Wrigley Field

The days of Cubs fans eating at the Taco Bell across from Wrigley Field are numbered.

In one of two newly proposed additions to the rapidly changing landscape around the ballpark, a developer that recently bought the site of the Wrigleyville fast-food staple unveiled plans for a three-story retail and restaurant complex on the property.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale..._medium=Social

Barf. Can't they up w/something better? And where are all the Wrigleyville bros going to fight once it's torn down?
I would assume there's still time for changes to be made to the development. Certainly I visited that Taco Bell numerous times back when I lived in the area, but I'm glad to see further redevelopment of these large, mostly empty lots near Wrigley. I never cared for walking through that area with lots like this diminishing the pedestrian experience. But I agree the rendering is bland bland bland.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:12 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i dont understand why all these new proposals have to look the way they do. theyre aggressively bland and homogenous. and that goes for pretty much every new project on this strip. welcome to schaumburg...now everyone visiting from there will never have to feel like they ever left
Dude this looks nothing like Schaumburg.

Commercial neighborhood buildings in Chicago built in 1905 look a lot like commercial neighborhood buildings in Battle Creek, MI or Hodunk, Kansas built in 1905. This notion that groundbreaking architecture is somehow missing in Chicago these days and that we are witnessing a "fall from grace" compared to buildings a century ago just gets so old.

It's a frickin strip of stores. And it is leagues ahead of the Taco Bell drive thru that is currently there.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
welcome to schaumburg...now everyone visiting from there will never have to feel like they ever left
exactly where in schaumburg are there urban lotline-to-lotline, sidewalk-fronting, multi story retail buildings like this?

please post a link to a google streetview because i'm not aware of a single building of this typology anywhere in schaumburg.

if anything, the taco hell that's currently on the site is FAR more similar to schaumburg than the proposed replacement.

schaumburg taco hell #1: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0406...7i13312!8i6656

schaumburg taco hell #2: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0489...7i13312!8i6656

schaumburg taco hell #3: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0103...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 2, 2017 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:41 PM

^the streets of woodfield lol that's technically a street

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
^the streets of woodfield lol that's technically a street
that's a shopping mall that sits amidst an entire ocean's worth of surface parking lots.

it is nowhere remotely the same typology as an urban lotline-to-lotline, sidewalk-fronting, multi-story retail building.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:51 PM

guys this isnt in defense of the stupid taco bell. i think our default mode should be to demand better of our built environment when aggressively bland garbage is thrust on us, not to say "hey its better than a taco bell drive through! case closed!". i think we are capable of setting higher standards for our neighborhoods and not stopping down to lazy retail architecture pulled straight out of a budget design catalog circa 2008

"lotline-to-lotline, street-fronting, multi-story retail building" is kind of a bare minimum design requirement and i dont think is really something to rest our laurels on when the above proposal is the outcome. its generic and uninspired beyond belief

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
that's a shopping mall that sits amidst an entire ocean's worth of surface parking lots.

it is nowhere remotely the same typology as an urban lotline-to-lotline, sidewalk-fronting, multi-story retail building.
Was only joking.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
guys this isnt in defense of the stupid taco bell. i think our default mode should be to demand better of our built environment when aggressively bland garbage is thrust on us, not to say "hey its better than a taco bell drive through! case closed!". i think we are capable of setting higher standards for our neighborhoods

"lotline-to-lotline, street-fronting, multi-story retail building" is kind of a bare minimum design requirement and i dont think is really something to rest our laurels on when the above proposal is the outcome. its generic and uninspired beyond belief
Double Post.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development