HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo View Post
Perhaps if M&R announced it was building a winning baseball team at its development, Ricketts might actually do the same.
Congratulations! You won the internet today.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Ald. Tunney talks tough on Wrigley Field deal

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/p...,2644946.story
How much further will Tunney stick his neck out for the rooftop owners I wonder. The consensus I hear is that as long as the number of night games ramps up slowly over the coming years and only Rickett's money is going in it's pretty hard to be opposed at this point.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo View Post
Perhaps if M&R announced it was building a winning baseball team at its development, Ricketts might actually do the same.
Are you blind? Or are you just another one of those trolls who think that because the team isn't overspending in free agency that they are not building a winning baseball team?

He has cut ties and eaten the cost of the old front office, hired on three of the most sought after baseball men in the industry (Epstein/Hoyer/McLeod), eaten Quade's contract, hired Svuem, eaten Zambrano's contract, eaten Soto's contract, they have signed Castro to a 6 year extension, Soler to a 9 year deal, Jackson for 4 years, sought out flippable free agents and used them for high ceiling prospects, traded for Rizzo, drafted and signed Almora, have 4 prospects in BA's top 100... all four brought in under Ricketts ownership, etc etc etc

Seriously, what more would you want them to do? Sign Bourn only to watch him flounder for two years while the team dabbles in mediocrity, then become a overpriced niche player? Sign Greinke to a wildly overvalued $140mm contract with his known anxiety issues? Free agency is the most inefficient way to build long term success in baseball. Even the Yankees with their wild spending ways have a ton of homegrown players either on the roster or who were good enough to be used to trade for other top talent. Its been a single year, give it some damn time.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Are you blind? Or are you just another one of those trolls who think that because the team isn't overspending in free agency that they are not building a winning baseball team?
I think it was a joke.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 4:18 PM

So Tunney has parking and aesthetic concerns...? Yet his rooftop clubs have added thousands of seats and club space increasing overall game day capacity in the area, and he never asked the roof top clubs to provide parking facilities in return. Aesthetically who have the roof tops been accountable to ? Most of those buildings have been chopped up with huge window cut outs, every type of seating from aluminum stands, green seats, brown seats....configured every which way... Tunney is a prime reason why alderman should be consulted with but not have final say when there is a city economic asset that happens to reside in their ward. It should be the mayor's call.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 5:42 PM
The Moon Rulez! #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
I think it was a joke.
If it's a joke, it is a tiresome one...

I've been hoping for an owner to do exactly what Ricketts is doing since the day Greg Maddux walked out the door. Those who feel otherwise are frankly, ignorant fans.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 11:30 PM

Wrigley Field Deal: $500 million in renovations

Quote:
April 4, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Cubs and the City of Chicago have reached a tentative $500 million deal to renovate Wrigley Field.

The deal is expected to be completed before the Cubs home opener on Monday.

The deal will include at least two new signs inside the ballpark, including a video scoreboard in left field.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 11:37 PM

Chicago Sun-Times:Long-awaited Wrigley Field rehab deal expected by Monday's opener

Quote:
The Cubs and City Hall expect to nail down a $500 million deal by Monday’s home opener that will allow the team to renovate 99-year-old Wrigley Field and develop property around the stadium by putting up “at least two” new signs inside the ballpark — including a video scoreboard in left field — and building a 300-space parking garage.

One day after local Ald. Tom Tunney (44th) portrayed an agreement on all of the “moving parts” as nowhere in sight, two sources close to the marathon negotiations predicted an agreement by Monday that would allow rooftop clubs to continue operating for the eleven-year “duration” of their revenue-sharing agreement with the Cubs.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 11:39 PM

A 300-space parking garage? Is that new or was it always part of the deal?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 3:53 AM
BANNED

video scoreboard in left?! dislike.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:10 AM
TL;DR

I hate video scoreboards, but I'd rather have it in left than right field. Maybe they'll covet up that awful Budweiser building.

The 300-space garage sucks too. The streets in the area already can't handle gameday traffic. Taking transit is no picnic either, but even if parking were available I can't imagine why you'd ever want to drive to Wrigley.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
A 300-space parking garage? Is that new or was it always part of the deal?
That was news to me. With years of discussions about the "triangle building," I'm surprised the existence of this gravel lot didn't come up more.
I would be impressed if they built a parking garage that incorporated landscaping on the top level or even a green roof, as I think some Soldier Field parking was done (or superior to that), so that (among other reasons) we don't end up with aerial views of Wrigley that resemble that stadium-plus-parking-ocean feel common in other cities.

------

Would it be crazy to have a discounted remote lot somewhere along the Brown Line (maybe even nearer the Kennedy) and have the CTA operate some express trains from there via Belmont, without stopping or boarding, to Wrigley? I assume there are efficiency and congestion issues with using shuttle busses.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 1:39 PM

^^^ They already have a remote lot on Addison or Irving Park near the Kennedy and run tons of shuttle CTA busses to it. What we really need is for the Brown Line just to run to the Blue Line so everyone can ditch their cars out in Rosemont.

The parking garage is new and a result of NIMBY bitching about parking. Little do they realize this will simply unleash a horde of cars on their neighborhood during game day while not improving the parking situation what-so-ever. All this will do is change the number of people driving to the game and parking in the area from N to N+300, massively aggravating the situation. That area only continues to get denser as more and more frame two flats and single story retail buildings are torn down for massive frat boy condos so I can't wait to see how miserable those NIMBYS are in a few years.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 1:53 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The parking garage is new and a result of NIMBY bitching about parking. Little do they realize this will simply unleash a horde of cars on their neighborhood during game day while not improving the parking situation what-so-ever. All this will do is change the number of people driving to the game and parking in the area from N to N+300, massively aggravating the situation. That area only continues to get denser as more and more frame two flats and single story retail buildings are torn down for massive frat boy condos so I can't wait to see how miserable those NIMBYS are in a few years.
^ Ahhh, but that's the beauty of it. Those of us who realize this should just let these numb-nuts have their garage. It's a classic case of "be careful what you wish for".

More cars, more congestion, more hassle for the neighborhood. Oh, and I'm sure the Ricketts will charge serious $$$ for the garage, only generating more revenue for themselves. Stupid NIMBY's....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Ahhh, but that's the beauty of it. Those of us who realize this should just let these numb-nuts have their garage. It's a classic case of "be careful what you wish for".

More cars, more congestion, more hassle for the neighborhood. Oh, and I'm sure the Ricketts will charge serious $$$ for the garage, only generating more revenue for themselves. Stupid NIMBY's....
Frankly I'll be glad to see that vacant gravel lot go, even if it's for a garage. That means we'll be seeing three underutilized parcels go in one shot: the McDonalds, the triangle lot, and the gravel lot. I'll take it.

I couldn't give less of a shit about the congestion the garage will cause since I make sure to never venture past Ashland on a gameday.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:01 PM
The City

^ Yeah, all in all if the Ricketts do invest in the stadium and the vacant lots around them without using public funds, they certainly deserve to be rewarded. That's how it works. I'm just saying that too many people think that adding parking reduces congestion, and I have no idea how they come to such a silly conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:25 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Would it be crazy to have a discounted remote lot somewhere along the Brown Line (maybe even nearer the Kennedy) and have the CTA operate some express trains from there via Belmont, without stopping or boarding, to Wrigley? I assume there are efficiency and congestion issues with using shuttle busses.
This would be the kind of creative thinking we need more of.

The problem is that many games either start or end during the PM rush, when there really isn't any capacity for more trains at Clark Junction.

I guess you could do this with a temporary platform on one side at Racine or Seminary and a crossover. This certainly would have been a no-brainer in the 1920s, but now with ADA requirements, extensive building codes for public facilities, and so forth, this would probably cost far more than running bus shuttles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
All this will do is change the number of people driving to the game and parking in the area from N to N+300, massively aggravating the situation.
Most people driving to the game are not driving solo; the new number will be more like N+(300*3).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:

To be fair, many people in the neighborhood are not asking for more parking. It is a small % of the residents who don't have the brain capacity to understand that More Parking does not equal less traffice. This parking structure will turn both Grace St and Clark into a nightmare on gamedays, as a resident of the neighborhood it really is bothersome.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:40 PM

Quote:

The City will get parking taxes as well.

I agree on the supid NIMBY part.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 3:20 PM
You had me at herro...

300 parking spaces sounds random for that high traffic area. It's almost like it would be much more efficient when games aren't going on and people just need to park to go out on a Saturday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development