HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 4:19 AM
Skyriser

Sonoran, Suncor is working with ASU for a "bridge to bridge" design--eventually these will play into each other. I worry about the back-ends of these developments and Hayden Ferry Lakeside has an ugly approach to Rio Salado which I think wastes its second best asset.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 4:20 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^There will probably eventually be a trolly or rapid bus down Rio Salado (if theres not already, Tempe has a lot of stuff like this), so I think it'll be connected well enough. I'd love to see a trolley that connected that whole quad city area. Something that went from Scottsdale Rd-McDowell (Skysong), through Papago Park connecting the Zoo and DBH, to Phoenix Muni, over the lake to Tempe, then East down Rio Salado down to the future area of Waveyard/Mesa Riverview. Even an on wheels trolley like they have in Old Down Scottsdale would probably work.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 4:37 PM

Yeah I'm sure there will be demand for shuttle buses like DASH or something at the very least so people don't have to drive the whole way from Mill to this area. A big caveat: free parking. Downtown has some parking, little of it free - will this area offer free, plentiful parking?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 6:15 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkfromaz View Post
A big caveat: free parking. Downtown has some parking, little of it free - will this area offer free, plentiful parking?
It's likely that it will -- at least for tenants, maybe not for visitors. I recently heard one of the developers of Hayden Ferry Lakeside speak at a conference, and he said that at this point the market in Tempe still demanded parking at suburban levels despite access to public transit.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 6:33 PM

Tower crane on Centerpoint condos came down this weekend. Anyone know where the next tower crane will go?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 7:48 PM

Lumina, Onyx, Mosaic?

I havent passed by Lumina in a while, is there anything new with the lot or still a wrapped lot.

And they are doing A LOT of digging at the pier 202 site, maybe there

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 9:20 PM

[QUOTE=flyer84;3498440]The South Bank website is up and running. Quite a few renderings and overall site plans. I really liked the original plan for Pier at Town Lake but I think the boardwalk concept is really neat too. Some of the buildings are a little too contemporary for me but for the most part I like how the buildings are different. It actually looks like a mini city by the lake!! well, a fake lake but its the best we can do in AZ. What are everyone else's thoughts on the changes from the original plans??

Actually I dont see that much difference, HOWEVER,

I Just wish that they do LESS CHANGING, & Start Building.

They can make all the "nice" changes they want, BUT until

they start BUILDING & or BREAKING GROUND those changes dont amount to

a grain of sand.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 9:39 PM
Dbacks baby!

Pier 202 (Now known as SouthBank)...next to ASU Karsten Golf Course (one of my old employers...I loved my time employed there )

They have broken ground and a lot of earth is being moved there now. Was just by the site 2 or 3 days ago, saw much activity going on along with 2 or 3 construction trailers (offices) on site.

Much of it is still prep work, but finally something is moving along.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 4:22 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
From: http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...nrail0421.html

Quote:
Tempe transit center strives for top eco-friendly certification
13 comments by Kerry Fehr-Snyder - Apr. 21, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
Green is one thing; gold is another. And platinum is in a class by itself.

As Earth Day approaches and the gravity of global warming sinks in, Tempe officials are working furiously to complete the state's first public/private building to apply for the gold standard in "green" building - platinum LEED certification.

The designation is short for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design and is given to new or renovated buildings that are environmentally friendly.

The $24.5 million project is six years in the making and has fought an uphill battle. For years, officials balked that building environmentally sound facilities like the new Tempe Transportation Center at the base of A-Mountain on Fifth Street in downtown would be too expensive.

But the project's primary advocate, Bonnie Richardson, argues that upfront costs save taxpayers money and slow the environment's accelerating degradation.

"There was some skepticism about green buildings when we started," said Richardson, a principal planner for Tempe and a member of the local governing board of the U.S. Green Building Council.

Building backers hold the three-floor, 40,000-square-foot facility up as a model and demonstration project for other municipalities and private businesses.

They have documented the project's progress and pitfalls from its groundbreaking in 2001 to its inclusion on Valley's first green-building real-estate bus tour planned for Tuesday, Earth Day.

The Tempe Transportation Center will be featured on the bus tour in an effort to highlight the green-building conference next year.

Greenbuild 2009, the annual conference of the U.S. Green Building Council, is planned for next November at the Phoenix Convention Center. Up to 40,000 are expected to attend.

The Tempe Transportation Center will be tied to the Tempe-ASU light-rail station, on the northwestern corner of College Avenue and Veterans Way.

Center developers will apply for it to be certified as the first public/private platinum green building in the state. The only other platinum green buildings are at the state's universities. Two are at Arizona State University, one is at the University of Arizona and one is at Northern Arizona University.

The LEED rating system is based on four certification levels - certified, silver, gold and platinum, the highest classification. New buildings are judged in five design categories: sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, and indoor environmental quality. The transportation center is designed to be ultra-energy efficient so that planners could apply for platinum LEED certification.

The building features a Sonoran Desert rooftop garden that will harvest rainwater and "gray water," recycled water that is safe for plants but not people. The garden is also designed to absorb sun that otherwise would heat up the building.

The second and third floors are set aside for offices, with the second floor to be occupied by city transportation workers and the third floor by leased tenants.

Both floors feature large balconies with retractable windows to allow breezes to cool the building when temperatures and weather conditions are nice.

Indoor cooling vents are built into the office floors to improve air quality. The eastern orientation of the building provides natural lighting, and panel-shade systems are designed to block sunlight. Recycled material was used throughout the building, and a separate gray-water system inside will recycle water from showers, sinks and drinking fountains to fill toilets. The toilets will have two flushing switches to accommodate the different amounts of water needed for disposal.

The center will also feature a unique two-tier, Murphy-bed-style indoor bike-storage area for light-rail passengers who bike to and from the station. Showers, restrooms and bike-repair services are also being built.

The first floor is where light-rail riders buy tickets and wait for light-rail trains, buses that will serve local and regional passengers, and free shuttles to connect ASU and neighborhoods to downtown Tempe.

An elevated community center will provide shade to riders and others who want to eat outside.

A grand opening for the facility is planned for September or October, with occupants moving in as early as June 6.

The center has been designed, Richardson said, to last much longer than modern-built facilities.

"We want to get beyond the idea that we build buildings for 20, 30 or 40 years," she said. "This has been designed to last 80 or 100 years and can be modified to meet changes in the future."

I'm excited to see this thing when it gets finished, it sounds great.

Now if Phoenix would get some plans to do something similar with their central transit station I'd be a happy camper. I'd love to see the Phoenix station redeveloped to have an underground garage, and indoor as well as outdoor waiting area for buses, DASH and LRT as well as a future connector to Union Station/commuter rail (though I imagine this would be done via DASH). Perhaps it could be developed in conjunction w/ Central Park East phase 2. With the current ASU dorms almost certain to meet the wrecking ball in the near future and a shrimpy ASU parking garage adjacent, maybe this series of lots:

(red=area Im talking about, blue=OCPE)

could be developed into something like the Tower City Center in Cleveland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_City_Center). But I'll cut off my Phoenix dreamin' there since this is the Tempe thread.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
It's likely that it will -- at least for tenants, maybe not for visitors. I recently heard one of the developers of Hayden Ferry Lakeside speak at a conference, and he said that at this point the market in Tempe still demanded parking at suburban levels despite access to public transit.
That doesn't surprise me in the least, really. Most of the people coming to Tempe drive there. I think the greatest demand for a transit link between Mill and the Southbank area would be from residents of Mill and Southbank.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:29 AM

Centerpoint

Does anyone know what percent of the units are sold? Have they dropped prices yet?

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 10:26 AM

I noticed that the gas station on Broadway and Mill has been leveled as well as some of the other surrounding building. There currently are not any zoning signs up but they have to be doing something. Some of the buildings were occupied last week. Does any body know what is going on here?

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck View Post
I noticed that the gas station on Broadway and Mill has been leveled as well as some of the other surrounding building. There currently are not any zoning signs up but they have to be doing something. Some of the buildings were occupied last week. Does any body know what is going on here?
Somewhere, in the ancient depths of this thread, you can find a plan for a condo building that was proposed for that site. As far as I know, that's still the plan, but haven't seen/heard/read any updates in quite some time...

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:06 PM

Anyone know any free parking in and around ASU? I do not mind walking to one of the Flash lines. Are the lots on 5th street and Ash free?

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:29 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwonger06 View Post
Anyone know any free parking in and around ASU? I do not mind walking to one of the Flash lines. Are the lots on 5th street and Ash free?
Most lots in DT Tempe allow one hour of free parking. There is a charge beyond that first hour. The only totally free parking options I know of are a few streets with parallel parking, no meters, and no resident permit requirements. 8th Street b/w Rural and Dorsey is an example, but keep in mind that most spaces along that stretch go pretty fast in the morning. A better option might be the free Valley Metro passes that ASU provides at no charge to students. Even if you don't live near a bus line that goes to ASU, you might be able to drive to a park-and-ride and board a bus there.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC2001 View Post
Does anyone know what percent of the units are sold? Have they dropped prices yet?
I could be wrong but I've heard they've sold somewhere between 25% and 30%.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 12:34 AM
Desert Dweller

Look at the e-mail I just received!

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 4:03 PM

If you got the West Stone website and click on the Onyx link you will see the first image. Its of a guy sitting on the edge of a pool staring passionately into the eyes of a hot chick as she swims up to his lap as he reaches to grab her behind her head to draw her closer to his lap so that she can s…oh sorry I forgot this is a public forum.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 5:24 PM
Desert Dweller

You obviously interpreted the marketing campaign correctly.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 7:58 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwonger06 View Post
I'm not sure how useful this is given it's a bit of a hike from ASU and the flash lines, but Terrace Rd sandwiched between Cornerstone and the University Center is usually OK--parallel, non-metered parking.

I have never, ever, ever seen a towtruck at the University Center in 2 years here and it has acres of surface lots that are never full.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest