HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

The One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Would love to see a curved tower with a 20 story podium at the corner of Balmuto and Bloor. I would hate to see buildings with stumpy podiums on bloor. It has the potential to become the greatest streetwall in Toronto. A streamline parisian style would look great there. I would love to see somthing like a taller version of the building on the northwest corner of Yonge and Ramsden Park, except with cafes, bars, and gelato shops lining the courtyard.
Sounds good but lose the gelato. Kidding that would be great. I am looking forward to this tower though if it goes ahead. The ground floor renders look awesome, I feel the full tower renders do it no justice. It's built form will be spectacular. Up the with the TD Centre quality wise.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Sounds good but lose the gelato. Kidding that would be great. I am looking forward to this tower though if it goes ahead. The ground floor renders look awesome, I feel the full tower renders do it no justice. It's built form will be spectacular. Up the with the TD Centre quality wise.
I have a feeling the main design "flaw" (protruding box on the western podium) may actually be some sort of a rooftop restaurant patio. The view of Bloor and UofT in the distance definitely wouldn't hurt.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 8:21 PM

That is Immense, Toronto's skyline is really a beast these days.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
That is Immense, Toronto's skyline is really a beast these days.

And growing fast. we currently have 55 towers over 100m/ 328ft u/c not including about 20 under excavation.

Compare that to places right now like Chicago with only 9 over the 100m mark or NYC with 23 it really goes to show how quickly our skyline is filling in. It's also been going at this pace for the past decade now with no real end in sight as the city is growing by 100k people each year.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 1:58 AM

Call me a pessimist, but I find this rather unlikely, considering the amount of NIMBYs in Toronto and how "averse to density" Toronto's city council is. It seems likely that this will either be chopped down to 250-200 meters or less, or outright canceled.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriWolf View Post
It seems likely that this will either be chopped down to 250-200 meters or less,
This is the probable scenario.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 2:55 AM
Aimless Wanderer

^ You never know, city council has already approved the Mirvish-Gehry supertall, so a precedent has been set. This building's location is also much better suited for a supertall than M-G, being at a major intersection on two subway lines and directly across from another 250+ tower currently U/C.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 4:12 AM
I am the law!

The extreme density proposed here will face some hurdles. Think the height should work though.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 4:23 AM

They can get a height of 295m at least, That is the height that was originally approved for 1 Bloor East across the street.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 6:04 PM

I think one of the main hurdles will be the issue of congestion. An extra 25 meters of height is a non-issue imo.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 7:34 PM
The New Republic

Agree, the primary issues regard Toronto making the adequate infrastructure investments to support the added population. Cities globally handle density levels 2-3 times higher than what we see in downtown Toronto. Buildings like theis only move us in that direction but we're hardly dense right now.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 9:28 PM
I am the law!

There are very few cities that would allow the density proposed for the site. Some of last few comments are perplexing to say the least.

I don't see the relevance in the overall density of the downtown area to this specific site either. For instance, purchasing air rights is rarely done Toronto. It's just not needed with our pro development zoning and little bit of heritage.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:32 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle23531447/

Toronto has finally found the confidence to act like a big city

MARCUS GEE
Mar. 18 2015

Quote:
When a developer announced last week that he planned to build what would be the tallest building in Canada on the southwest corner of Yonge and Bloor, Toronto seemed unimpressed. Many who wrote online comments about the proposal wondered why on earth this city needs yet another glass condominium tower, even a dramatic 80-storey one designed by the firm of celebrated British architect Norman Foster.

“Imagine all of the birds that will be killed,” said one. “The congestion, the sun block, the sheer ugliness of the structure adds another blight,” said another. “The Manhattanization of downtown Toronto is completely out of control,” said still another.

Toronto, it would seem, is still not altogether sold on tall buildings. This city is seeing a wave of high-rise development unlike any in its history. The most recent report from city officials says that no less than 91 high-rise buildings are under construction, the most for any North American city except New York, which is building 167.

The One Bloor condos, right across the street from developer Sam Mizrahi’s Foster-designed 80-storey proposal, will rise to 75 storeys. The two towers of the Harbour Plaza residences down by the waterfront will go to 66 and 62 storeys. Then, of course, there are the Mirvish-Gehry towers planned for King Street West that, while 92 and 82 storeys, would be shorter, measured in feet, than the Mizrahi building.

Toronto, grumbled one newspaper writer, suffers from an insecurity complex that forces it to prove itself by throwing up towers in every available space. That is one way to look at it. Another is that Toronto has finally found the confidence to act like a big city.

Back in the 1970s, Toronto was so fearful about density and development that city hall slapped a temporary 45-foot (13.7-metre) height restriction on new construction in the downtown core. Over time, planners have come to understand that if the region is going to absorb hundreds of thousands of newcomers without succumbing to endless urban sprawl, it will have to grow up rather than out. Now the boom in condo construction and the vogue for downtown living has made it possible to build a denser, livelier urban core. If central Toronto is starting to feel even a bit like Manhattan, it can only be a good thing.

The high-rise boom isn’t the Wild West free-for-all that many people seem to think it is. You can’t just slap together a glass box on any street corner. High-rise proposals go through months, more often years, of scrutiny. Officials look at how the building relates to the street around it, how much shadow it creates, what the developer is willing to contribute to the “public realm,” even what kind of materials the building will use.

Most high-rise construction is going just where planners want it: at strategic crossroads like Bloor and Yonge, Yonge and Eglinton and new South Core below Union Station that are well served by mass transit. We aren’t building forests of towers in the Beach or Little Italy.

“We’re growing. We’re maturing as a city. We are learning to do better tall buildings,” says David Pontarini of Hariri Pontarini Architects, designers of One Bloor. “For us it’s a never-ending educational process.”

That is true of the city, too. A dynamic, growing, modern city has to learn to be comfortable with tall buildings. Judged on much of the reaction to recent ones, it still has a distance to travel.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 8:47 AM

^ They say someone said this development will "kill birds"? What do they think birds are so stupid they'll fly right into the giant lump of steel and concrete that's right in front of their face? Or maybe the tower will grow arms and legs and start throwing rocks at the birds. This really does show the stupidity, paranoia, and thought process (or lack thereof) of NIMBYs

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriWolf View Post
^ They say someone said this development will "kill birds"? What do they think birds are so stupid they'll fly right into the giant lump of steel and concrete that's right in front of their face? Or maybe the tower will grow arms and legs and start throwing rocks at the birds. This really does show the stupidity, paranoia, and thought process (or lack thereof) of NIMBYs
Large parts of the surface area are glass, and it is well-known that birds fly into glass skyscrapers, usually dying in the process.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 8:56 PM
Meh

Oh, we've had several birds fly into our windows and bounce off. haha And they're not the least bit reflective.

Man, this tower looks good, but what it'll do for Toronto's skyline is even better. I forget sometimes how "deep" Toronto's skyline is. This is going to look amazing on the skyline.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 12:07 AM

This is the most attractive skyscraper to rise up in Toronto in ages. Dozens if not hundreds of cheap condos built over the last couple of decades, it would be a refreshing change to see a tall 1st class building go up instead. As to birds, well you know, pet cats kill a lot of birds. But I'm not going around calling for the banning of cats. And the mention of that 45ft height restriction took me down memory lane, what a clanger that thing was, I don't think it lasted even as long as Joe Clark's government. Which was quite short-lived.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 5:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
This is the most attractive skyscraper to rise up in Toronto in ages.
Agreed. Perhaps the best-looking proposal/built in Canada for the past two decades. It is a Norman Foster building.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:58 AM

There has been some changes with this One;

The bad, The diagrid structural system is now gone from the building
The good, The heritage facade of Hue's Kitchen is now being retained in the redesign, and the bldg. now has a new height of: 329.5 meters/1081 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by innsertnamehere View Post

Thanks to Innsertnamehere @ UT for the preliminary rendering

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:34 AM
DENNAB

1081 feet? Nice

Toronto deserves it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction