HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 8:47 PM

Little perks of your city

What are some minor, not often discussed, aspects of living in your city that are convenient/nice to have? Little conveniences, basically.

I used to live in Ottawa so I'll start the thread off with both Kingston and Ottawa.

For Kingston, its the utility corporation. The natural gas network in Kingston is actually municipal-owned (its not Enbridge or Union) and the city merged this gas company, the city-owned hydro network, and the water & sewer department into a single municipal corporation called "Utilities Kingston". As a result, us Kingstonians have 1 combined bill & 1 account for water, sewer, gas, and electricity. Its way more convenient than in Ottawa, for example, where you have a city water bill, an Enbridge gas bill, and a HydroOttawa bill that all have to be paid seperately.

For Ottawa, its the water. The municipal tap water in Ottawa is extremely high quality; its one of the softest water supplies in the world, IIRC something like 30ppm of dissolved metals. As a result people in Ottawa never have to deal with scaling on their appliances. My brother in Ottawa drained his hot water tank after 12 years of use and there was literally no sediment.

What's a similar, minor detail but nice to have, aspect of your city?
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada