HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 11:56 PM

LOVE Park: Ceremonial Groundbreaking Set for Wednesday

Quote:
The $16.5 million revamp of JFK Plaza/LOVE Park will officially commence this Wednesday, as city officials and project partners will gather for a ceremonial groundbreaking at the iconic public square at 11 a.m.

It’s unclear when LOVE Park will officially close to the public. Construction is anticipated to begin in the spring and last 12 to 16 months.
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...WjBiLwjGmyR.99

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Didn't know it was legal to build five stories out of wood in Philly....

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 2:03 AM

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/p...s&id=368096501

Anyone take this news as they are having difficulty pre-leasing the space?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 3:13 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
NoLibs development site sells for big number
Not Really Northern Libs though, but the project seems like it may be an exciting one. Maybe it's so close to the Piazza that it identifies with NoLibs?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Not Really Northern Libs though, but the project seems like it may be an exciting one. Maybe it's so close to the Piazza that it identifies with NoLibs?
GREAT density...AWFUL project (nearly 1:1 parking 5 minutes from the El, completely enclosed superblock (formally was supposed to be public and is now private), large above ground parking garage fronting american, and a grade-school lego 3D Apple Mac design....mix that in with the idea that these developers have a very suburban and unattractive development streak and its not worth the large parcel it will sit on.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 3:31 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
GREAT density...AWFUL project (nearly 1:1 parking 5 minutes from the El, completely enclosed superblock (formally was supposed to be public and is now private), large above ground parking garage fronting american, and a grade-school lego 3D Apple Mac design....mix that in with the idea that these developers have a very suburban and unattractive development streak and its not worth the large parcel it will sit on.
Good points cafe guy.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 3:26 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
gigantic homes!

[IMG]Untitled
Growing up I always loved Bridges, Skyscrapers & Stadiums. That is what made me get into Engineering, but now I think I love Residential Construction even more. These contemporary City Mansions are great. Can't wait to own one.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 3:34 PM

For what it's worth:

Lonely Planet names Philly No. 1 travel destination

Quote:
Lonely Planet, the largest travel guide book publisher in the world, just named Philadelphia the "Best in the U.S." on its list of top-10 "unexpectedly exciting places to see" in 2016.

Here's what Lonely Planet said about Philly: "Visited by Pope Francis, hosting the Democratic National Convention in July, and freshly crowned as the US's first and only World Heritage City (joining the ranks of Cairo, Paris and Jerusalem), Philly's on a roll. NYC's more neighborly neighbor is experiencing a transformation to its urban core, as many U.S. cities are right now. Craft breweries? Check. Hot new locavore restaurants? Big check. But Philadelphia is steadfastly managing to retain its historic roots and gritty flavor, as well as its affordability - a pleasant surprise for a city so cosmopolitan and accessible. Hands up to the sky, Rocky fans: celebrate the film's 40th anniversary in 2016 with a sprint up the 72 steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
Growing up I always loved Bridges, Skyscrapers & Stadiums. That is what made me get into Engineering, but now I think I love Residential Construction even more. These contemporary City Mansions are great. Can't wait to own one.
Are those curb cuts for street-facing garages? If so, no thanks.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Kid View Post
http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/p...s&id=368096501

Anyone take this news as they are having difficulty pre-leasing the space?
Maybe, but more than likely it's PREIT just not getting their shit together. As has been said by me and many others, this is just not a well-run company. The article even mentions the fact that some retailers are simply not going to wait for these guys - especially with a warp speed ahead development across the street at East Market.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Maybe, but more than likely it's PREIT just not getting their shit together. As has been said by me and many others, this is just not a well-run company. The article even mentions the fact that some retailers are simply not going to wait for these guys - especially with a warp speed ahead development across the street at East Market.
are any of these spec retail projects around market east doing well? Aside from target on chestnut street i haven't heard of any big lease deals.. and the target is like less than half of that project's retail space i believe

maybe all of these developers overestimated the retail market over there.. hope not.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 10:07 PM

Excellent question, Larry King. The lack of any major announcements does not exactly jive with the periodic buzz pieces from the retail world stating that "retailers are dying to be in Center City, but we just don't have adequately sized spaces for them." All three of these major Market East projects (Brickstone, East Market, and the Gallery) have a wide range of space sizes and types available, many on the larger side (10,000 - 25,000 and up). So...where's the avalanche? One answer is that retailers are lemmings, and you need the risk takers to sign on before the stampede follows.

Thus far, we've confirmed a Target and PLCB store (the swanky kind) at the Brickstone project. These apparently fill the groundfloor spaces, but they built basement and second floor retail space into that project, on the assumption that stores would want multi-level space or be willing to take an off street space for co-tenancy with the likes of Target. I think Bed Bath or Best Buy would fit well into spaces of this nature and size, but Brickstone's been mum as to whether CBRE's been able to bring any compelling tenants into these less visible spaces.

At East Market, we have MOM's Organic Market on the 11th side of the project, and not a peep about the two major two-story retail podiums on the Market Street side. Marketing materials imply they're hoping for larger footprint, international brands fronting Market, segueing into a more eclectic and smaller foot print mix back on the pedestrianized streets and Cuthbert. I know it's an "untested" market over there, but spaces on Market facing the convention center seem reasonably appealing to me, particularly either for major apparel brands or convention-friendly eateries. And I'd like to think that the healthy crop of local retailers (La Colombe, Sweetgreen, Turney/Safran, etc) will happily buy into the concept as far as the food and beverage side of things goes.

And then we have The Gallery. Agreed that PREIT is a mess (I mean, how often do you hear the two partners working on the same deal saying different things about delivery dates. Macerich: better wait til 2019. PREIT: nah, we'll probably have something ready earlier than that maybe). The article strangely provides tenant attraction as a reason for the delay, but then the quote from PREIT implies that they were waiting to start in earnest until they had a better tenant mix, which would imply they now feel comfortable with the initial crop of folks that have signed on. The truth lies...well, who knows where. I will say that my personal view is that as long as they nail the street presence with a major brand or two and periodic restaurants/bars to create street life, I think the project will be a success at least from the perspective of a Market Street pedestrian. Whether they can sign on nearly 800,000 sf of quality tenants for all the interior spaces is another question.

As for Century 21, they seem to do great every time I'm in there, but you'd think PREIT could at least move forward with a tenant for the rest of the Strawbridge space since it's wholly disconnected from the rest of the Gallery project. If Eataly was indeed at any point a viable possibility for the corner of 8th and Market, they'd be smart to reopen those conversations stat. Century 21 and Eataly side by side could support one another indefinitely no matter how long the rest takes. Then again, Eataly may be dead or have moved onto an entirely different candidate site.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 11:04 PM

Petition to Kill Blatstein's Latest Waterfront Strip Center Atrocity

Help stop Bart Blatstein's plan for more Delaware Waterfront sprawl. Can you take 30 seconds to forward this email to a few friends who you think would care about this too, or share this link with your Facebook friends?

Help stop Bart Blatstein's plan for more Delaware Waterfront sprawl. Can you take 30 seconds to forward this email to a few friends who you think would care about this too, or share this link with your Facebook friends?

Petition: Tell Bart Blatstein, No More Delaware Waterfront Sprawl http://www.5thsq.org/delaware_sprawl

Thanks for you help!

The 5th Square
The 5th Square

Last edited by Cro Burnham; Feb 10, 2016 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I guess it's worth something, because AP has now picked this up:

Lonely Planet names Philadelphia top US destination for 2016

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA — Lonely Planet gave some love to The City of Brotherly Love on Tuesday, ranking Philadelphia the No. 1 place to visit in the United States in 2016.

"Philly's on a roll right now," the travel guide company said in a statement. "The city is experiencing a transformation to its urban core, yet retaining its deep American history and uniquely gritty flavor.

The company noted that Philadelphia hosted Pope Francis in September and will welcome the Democratic National Convention this summer. In November, it was named the country's first World Heritage City.
More of the AP story at the above link.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 1:28 PM

I walked by the vacated City Sports on Walnut today. Modell's Sporting Goods is moving there. There is already a Modell's a couple blocks away at 15th and Chestnut. I'm thinking this means a relocation of the existing Modell's and great new storefront for that building. Maybe that they are even doing something more significant with that building. It would be great to see something hit that stretch of Chestnut that improves it! Overbuild, Pearl Properties? Cough cough...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:23 PM

It'd have been nice to get a nicer store than Modell's at that Walnut St address.

I was hoping for a Wendy's.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:42 PM

Even bigger Chestnut Street news! The Dollar Store at 15th and Chestnut has permanently closed! I predict big changes coming to the stretch of Chestnut between 16th and Broad. Not just the W, though I'm sure that and the overall health of the city and the Millennial flood is a big impetus. It's about time!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Even bigger Chestnut Street news! The Dollar Store at 15th and Chestnut has permanently closed! I predict big changes coming to the stretch of Chestnut between 16th and Broad. Not just the W, though I'm sure that and the overall health of the city and the Millennial flood is a big impetus. It's about time!
Awesome news. Even an empty store would be better than a dollar store.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Awesome news. Even an empty store would be better than a dollar store.
Yes. But I'm hoping for something pretty solid there. PREIT bought the building a year or two ago and is now looking to sell it.

http://articles.philly.com/2016-01-2...property-sales

With the Dollar Tree's departure, seems like they may have found their buyer!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
It'd have been nice to get a nicer store than Modell's at that Walnut St address.

I was hoping for a Wendy's.
Maybe Modell's can step up their game with the move to Walnut and sell fries with those sneakers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development