HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 7:29 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Resilient Design in Buildings (and other infrastructure) - a Discussion Thread

With the recent polar vortex throwing Texas into a tailspin, I think it is a good time to create a discussion thread about building/infrastructure resiliency.

In NYC, the term "resilient design" came to the forefront after Hurricane Sandy devastated the metropolitan region, especially in low elevation areas right in the path of storm surges. However, there is much more to "resilient design" than elevating essential infrastructure above the 100-year design flood elevation, since there are more threats to building and occupant safety and operation than floodwaters.

Here are the "4 Rs" of resilient design:

Robustness: the ability of systems to withstand a certain level of stress without suffering loss of function.
Resourcefulness: the ability to identify problems and resources when threats may disrupt the system.
Redundancy: the ability to have various paths in a system by which forces can be transferred to enable continued function
Rapidity: the ability to meet priorities and goals in time to prevent losses and future disruptions.

There is also fifth R: Rapid Recovery - the ability for a system to return to normal operations as quickly and efficiently as possible after a disruption.

In this thread, I want to discuss different threats to building operation and occupant safety, and the design elements to combat and resist those threats. Good resilient design will allow a building to survive the threat with much less negative impact to its occupants. Here are some graphs for illustration:

https://www.wbdg.org/resources/building-resiliency

When an adverse event occurs, the building will suffer an initial loss of operational level & quality. As time passes after the event, repairs will be done to the building to get the building back to its normal operational level and quality before the adverse event. The role that resilient design plays is by lessening that initial loss of operational level & quality as well as the recovery time.

Building A - in blue - has some resilient design elements. It does not suffer as much of an initial loss of operational level & quality, and it recovers faster.

Building B - in yellow - has fewer, if any, resilient design elements. It suffers a greater initial loss of operational level & quality, and it recovers slower.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture