HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 10:36 PM
Registered

^ Huh? I didn't think Smith had any engineering degrees at all. He's always been a pure architect in my book. Are you guys sure?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 11:07 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ Huh? I didn't think Smith had any engineering degrees at all. He's always been a pure architect in my book. Are you guys sure?
Perhaps not as an actual degree, but it comes part & parcel with what we do in the profession, I think that is what one of the other forumers was referring to - even though we rely on our engineers a lot we still have to know how to make a building stand up as well

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 11:37 PM
Registered

^ Thanks Sentinel. It's my background too, so I understand that relationship well.

I guess what I should have said is, "Smith is not a practicing engineer, nor trained as one, as far as I know."

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 2:49 AM

I'm really anxious to hear more about the CBOT/ICE potential merger.

I'm really, really hoping that the two merge, and ICE isn't sold to another NYC company

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 3:20 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsan2 View Post
I'm really anxious to hear more about the CBOT/ICE potential merger.

I'm really, really hoping that the two merge, and ICE isn't sold to another NYC company
^ You'd rather see the CBOT/ICE merger instead of a CBOT/CME combination? I'm not following you. Are you from Atlanta?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ You'd rather see the CBOT/ICE merger instead of a CBOT/CME combination? I'm not following you. Are you from Atlanta?
No, I screwed up the acronyms. I want the CME/CBOT merger... I deeply hope it stays Chicago-owned.

I just can't help but wonder if the current owners cannot see the irony between the last Chicago bank being sold and the current situation... I want to know as soon as possible

Last edited by ginsan2; Apr 23, 2007 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukecuj View Post
Actually Northern Trust is the last significant Chicago Bank that is local.
What about Harris? although perhaps not as significant.

this bums me out. if for nothing else, lasalle has always been good to chicago. from the trib:
Quote:
A deal by Bank of America for LaSalle also raises questions about civic commitments. Although LaSalle is owned by a Dutch bank, it's widely known for its sports and cultural sponsorships.

The bank's marquee investment in the city's art scene was support for the $14 million restoration of the Shubert Theatre in the Loop. It reopened in May as the LaSalle Bank Theatre.

LaSalle sponsored the "Eternal Egypt" temporary exhibit in 2003 and is sponsoring the permanent exhibition "The Ancient Americas," which is scheduled to open in March.

The bank also sponsors events at the Civic Opera House, the Chicago Cultural Center and Navy Pier, as well as a mural near the Kennedy Expressway that frequently features work by teen artists in the Gallery 37 program

In sports, LaSalle has sponsored the Chicago Marathon and a professional golf tournament in Glenview. Just last week, its workers handed out tulips on Michigan Avenue.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 12:54 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
What about Harris?
Owned by the Banque de Montréal since 1984.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 1:29 PM
The City

^ Right. Plus, lets not forget that LaSalle wasn't independent anyhow--it was already owned.

I think the loss here is that the LaSalle name will certainly be erased and replaced by Bank of America. Here's to hoping that Royal Bank of Scotland wins this one

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 1:56 PM
BANNED

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070423/20070....v=1&printer=1

Chicago Declared North American ''City of the Future'' for Its Economic, Business and Financial Strength
Monday April 23, 9:05 am ET

Financial Times' fDi Magazine Awards Chicago the Top Honor

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Financial Times publication, fDi Magazine (Foreign Direct Investment), today announced that Chicago is North America's "City of the Future" for 2007/2008. The award distinguishes the city as having the best prospects for inward investment, economic development and business expansion in the NAFTA region (USA, Canada and Mexico).
Chicago was chosen based on more than 60 criteria including everything from cost effectiveness to human resources to infrastructure. An independent panel of experts looked at data submitted by each individual city, and Chicago ranks number one overall in its category of "major cities" (cities with populations greater than 2 million people) in the publication, which is distributed worldwide.

Scores were given to each city based on seven selection factors. Chicago was the only city (in any size range) to rank in the top five of all seven selection factors:

# 1 - Best Economic Potential
# 1 - Best Infrastructure
# 1 - Best Development and Investment Promotion
# 2 - Most Cost Effective
# 3 - Best Human Resources
# 3 - Best Quality of Life
# 5 - Most Business Friendly
"Chicago has the most diversified economy in the country," said Mayor Richard M. Daley. "The combination of this and our tremendous talent pool, dynamic quality of life and unmatched infrastructure have made us a truly global competitor."

"No other city has dominated any of these benchmarking exercises anywhere around the globe in the way Chicago has in the Major city category," said David East, Publisher, fDi - Foreign Direct Investment.

fDi Magazine researches and awards the honor every other year. Chicago was also awarded "City of the Future" in 2005, when there were separate award categories for the USA, Canada and Mexico. This year, being grouped together, Chicago takes the honor for the whole region, making the title more competitive. Additionally, this year fDi Magazine reported twice the number of applicants as in 2005.

"We are striving to showcase Chicago's tremendous business, cultural and human capital resources to the world," said Paul O'Connor, executive director of World Business Chicago. "Winning this award consecutively proves that our strength as a global competitor is being recognized internationally."

The "City of the Future" feature is one of a global series of regional reports led by the fDi research staff. Unlike other frequent media rankings led by opinion polls, this competition reflects independent analysis of factual data. The selection process is similar to the way executives and site selection consultants weigh potential locations on many critical selection factors as they develop a list of preferences out of an extensive list of alternatives.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 2:19 PM
Registered

Holy &#^@!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070423/20070....v=1&printer=1

Chicago Declared North American ''City of the Future'' for Its Economic, Business and Financial Strength
Monday April 23, 9:05 am ET

Financial Times' fDi Magazine Awards Chicago the Top Honor

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Financial Times publication, fDi Magazine (Foreign Direct Investment), today announced that Chicago is North America's "City of the Future" for 2007/2008. The award distinguishes the city as having the best prospects for inward investment, economic development and business expansion in the NAFTA region (USA, Canada and Mexico).
Chicago was chosen based on more than 60 criteria including everything from cost effectiveness to human resources to infrastructure. An independent panel of experts looked at data submitted by each individual city, and Chicago ranks number one overall in its category of "major cities" (cities with populations greater than 2 million people) in the publication, which is distributed worldwide.

Scores were given to each city based on seven selection factors. Chicago was the only city (in any size range) to rank in the top five of all seven selection factors:

# 1 - Best Economic Potential
# 1 - Best Infrastructure
# 1 - Best Development and Investment Promotion
# 2 - Most Cost Effective
# 3 - Best Human Resources
# 3 - Best Quality of Life
# 5 - Most Business Friendly
"Chicago has the most diversified economy in the country," said Mayor Richard M. Daley. "The combination of this and our tremendous talent pool, dynamic quality of life and unmatched infrastructure have made us a truly global competitor."

"No other city has dominated any of these benchmarking exercises anywhere around the globe in the way Chicago has in the Major city category," said David East, Publisher, fDi - Foreign Direct Investment.

fDi Magazine researches and awards the honor every other year. Chicago was also awarded "City of the Future" in 2005, when there were separate award categories for the USA, Canada and Mexico. This year, being grouped together, Chicago takes the honor for the whole region, making the title more competitive. Additionally, this year fDi Magazine reported twice the number of applicants as in 2005.

"We are striving to showcase Chicago's tremendous business, cultural and human capital resources to the world," said Paul O'Connor, executive director of World Business Chicago. "Winning this award consecutively proves that our strength as a global competitor is being recognized internationally."

The "City of the Future" feature is one of a global series of regional reports led by the fDi research staff. Unlike other frequent media rankings led by opinion polls, this competition reflects independent analysis of factual data. The selection process is similar to the way executives and site selection consultants weigh potential locations on many critical selection factors as they develop a list of preferences out of an extensive list of alternatives.
I sometimes wonder how many of these "best ___ city" rankings come out each week. This one didn't seem to get any press, not even on the financial times website.

Also, does anyone know why and how Chicago is ranked so high for "best infrastructure" and "most cost effective"? That's just not right.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 2:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
I sometimes wonder how many of these "best ___ city" rankings come out each week. This one didn't seem to get any press, not even on the financial times website.

Also, does anyone know why and how Chicago is ranked so high for "best infrastructure" and "most cost effective"? That's just not right.
Website

http://www.fdimagazine.com/news/full...:_Chicago.html

US City of the Future: Chicago
June 07, 2005

Chicago is without doubt a world-class city – so much so that the entity that promotes it is called World Business Chicago. The details explain why.

Chicago’s economy is enormous. In 2003 its GDP was $366bn – more than Switzerland’s, Taiwan’s, or the State of Michigan’s.

Chicago is at the centre of one of the largest trading areas in the world: the east-west nexus joining the markets of Europe and Asia, and the north-south nexus of the North American Free Trade Agreement. Its location puts 50% of North American industry a day’s journey away by truck; 75% of North America’s consumers are less than two days away. The location, central time zone and unequalled non-stop passenger service means that businesspeople can fly to meet clients or customers in nearly any US city and return on the same business day.

Chicago has grown rich on location and transportation, drawing first the railroads, then the communications wires, then the interstate highways and the air traffic. It has also attracted people from all over the world and the US for career opportunities and quality of life.

Chicago continually reinvents itself, always taking leadership in new sectors, resulting in it being North America’s most diversified economy. This combination of market access and economic diversity offers all of the resources needed to build a successful, world-class business: stability, support, opportunities for growth, and the good life.

World-class healthcare and research facilities are on offer in the city, provided by more than 12,300 doctors and 88 hospitals, six medical schools and 31 teaching hospitals.

Chicago is home to headquarters for 30 Fortune 500 companies, 12 Fortune Global 500 companies, 17 Financial Times Global 500 companies, and 98 corporates. Chicago is the US’s leading city in high-tech employment (347,100 workers), air travel, distribution and manufacturing with a $72.4bn regional manufacturing output.

Well-educated workers are easy to find in Chicago with 10.6% of its residents holding advanced degrees. The city is home to 98 higher education institutions with a total enrolment of 487,000 students. Among them are the University of Chicago, winner of 77 Nobel Prizes (more than any other US university), Northwestern University, DePaul University, Loyola University and University of Illinois-Chicago. In addition, the area boasts dozens of high-performing primary and secondary schools, more than 20 private primary schools, three major foreign-curriculum schools (French/Japanese/British), and numerous ethnic-oriented schools. The population is diverse with 26 ethnic groups of more than 25,000 people, 120 ethnic media outlets, 100 languages spoken, 72 consulates and immigrants from 200 countries.

Chicago attracted three significant deals last year. BP announced in October that its new $13bn Olefins and Derivatives spin-off was becoming an independent, US-based Fortune 200 company in 2005 and would have its world headquarters in the city centre. Astellas Pharma, created by the merger of Japanese pharmaceutical giants Fujisawa Healthcare and Yamanouchi Pharma America, chose Fujisawa’s current location at Deerfield, a Chicago suburb, for its North American headquarters. The third deal was the 99-year lease of the City of Chicago Skyway toll road to an investment consortium of Macquarie Bank (Australia) and Cintra (Spain) for $1.82bn, the first transaction of its kind ever in the US.

See also

http://www.gdi-solutions.com/fdi/2007future.htm

http://www.gdi-solutions.com/fdi/200...SA/chicago.htm

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Website

http://www.fdimagazine.com/news/full...:_Chicago.html

US City of the Future: Chicago
June 07, 2005

That's from 2005 and not the same article.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 4:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
That's from 2005 and not the same article.
That particular article is one form 2005 yes. 2007 probably has not been published yet. That is why the first post on this was a press release. Expect 2007 to read similar to 2005.

For further information about the rankings please contact charles.piggott@ft.com

Courtney Fingar
Editor
Foreign Direct Investment
www.fdimagazine.com

TEL +44(0) 207 775 6365 (From the USA, dial as 011-44-207-775-6365)

FT Business - The Financial Times group

One Southwark Bridge, London SE1 9HL

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 7:22 PM

Daley fills powerful City Hall post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

Mayor Richard Daley today appointed Lori Healey, now the city's planning commissioner, to serve as his chief of staff.

Daley wasted no time filling the job that is considered to be the second most powerful at City Hall behind his own. On Thursday, he announced that Ron Huberman was leaving the chief of staff's post to become president of the Chicago Transit Authority.
Daley said that Healey "has played a lead role in some of the most important initiatives of city government, including job creation and retention, zoning reform and the CHA Plan for Transformation."

She "shares my vision of a city of strong neighborhoods, a thriving economy, outstanding schools and an excellent quality of life," he said. "She also shares my commitment to public safety, better schools and government reform."

Healey joined the Planning Department in 1998 after an eight-year stint with the Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs, the state's economic development agency. She left her city post to become a principal in the Chicago office of architectural firm Perkins & Will, but returned to accept the planning commissioner's job in 2005.

The chief of staff essentially runs the operations of city government. Huberman had the high-pressure job for about two years, a typical tour of duty for that job under Daley.

Chicago Tribune

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 8:39 PM
TL;DR

Well, good news for P&D. I'm not personally familiar with Ms. Healey's doings, but she has been the object of scorn in many historic-preservation discussions, so... good riddance!

I like how the article does not mention who is in line to fill in at P&D.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 10:27 PM

On the other hand, it seems like she is an object of scorn in NIMBY circles for not kowtowing to their demands to follow outdated plans and retain "neighborhood character". Knowing Daley, he will install another pro-development person in the P+D to bulldoze all these people that want a quaint piece of suburbia in the middle of our central city.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 12:44 AM

If the LaSalle sale to BoA goes through, I'll be moving my accounts elsewhere. I know other people that are going to do the same.

Jesus, anybody but BoA!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
If the LaSalle sale to BoA goes through, I'll be moving my accounts elsewhere. I know other people that are going to do the same.

Jesus, anybody but BoA!
I wholeheartedly agree. They have some very sketchy business practices.

(Ex. Giving credit cards to those w/o SSN's)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development