HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Here we go again. Adaptive reuse or facademy should be the only option allowed here. This is despicable, especially after the Toll Bros debacle.

http://www.rising.realestate/permits...ently-on-site/
Yeah, I hope this gets jammed up. There's no good reason to demolish these, especially with how many parking lots and standalone parking garages are still in the surrounding area.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Here we go again. Adaptive reuse or facademy should be the only option allowed here. This is despicable, especially after the Toll Bros debacle.

I was semi-onboard (WAS, I've since changed my mind) with the Toll Bros project, but this is just inexcusable.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yeah, I hope this gets jammed up. There's no good reason to demolish these, especially with how many parking lots and standalone parking garages are still in the surrounding area.
Yes exactly, this isn't midtown NYC where this not a single lot left to develop. Just in this vicinity we have parking lots at 8th and Market, 8th and Chestnut, 711 Chestnut, 8th and Ludlow, 815 Walnut, 9th and Chestnut, 9th and Locust and surely some more I missed.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:16 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Hmm destroying classic structures for holes- Check

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:19 PM
Midrise

Quote:

Bleh!!!

As most of you know, buildings within the nominated Jewelers' Row Historic District are protected from demolition until the pending* nomination is eventually considered and acted on by the Historical Commission. Unfortunately these 2 are on Chestnut St and not within the boundaries of the proposed district.

*Moot in regards to this proposal, but the nomination was submitted 4 years ago this month.

https://www.phila.gov/media/20190328...welers-Row.pdf

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I was semi-onboard (WAS, I've since changed my mind) with the Toll Bros project, but this is just inexcusable.
Quote:
Yes exactly, this isn't midtown NYC where this not a single lot left to develop. Just in this vicinity we have parking lots at 8th and Market, 8th and Chestnut, 711 Chestnut, 8th and Ludlow, 815 Walnut, 9th and Chestnut, 9th and Locust and surely some more I missed.
Furthermore, this is demolishing 4-story buildings for a 7-story building. What the fuck? Literally... what the fuck?

At least Toll Brothers is building a 20+ story highrise and we can take some solace in that fact.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 1:42 PM

This is severely fucked up.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Permits Issued For Three Seven-Story Structures At 918-80 North Delaware Avenue

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/02/perm...ladelphia.html
I'd rather see this project somewhere else than close to the Delaware waterfront. It's nice and all, but thinking of what if Bridgeman's View Tower, the Trump Tower, and the World Trade Square could've been, but all those projects bit the dust last decade.

Liberty on the River and the current Penn's Landing Redevelopment give me hope of high rise living nearby the Delaware waterfront. Not saying this is a bad project, but the city could've at least zoned the area for high-rises as opposed to what they're allowing to be built on Delaware Ave.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:16 PM

Façade Work Wraps Up At Wharton Flats In Passyunk Square at 1283 S. 9th Street

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/03/faca...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:22 PM

PhilaPort to start work on new $42M warehouse

Quote:
PhilaPort plans to break ground on Thursday on a new $42 million, 201,621-square-foot distribution center that is part of a broader capital investment program at the port.

The building at 445 Pattison Ave. will be leased to Holt Logistics Corp. as part of the company's lease at the Packer Avenue Marine Terminal. The facility will have 32 loading docks and provide storage for dry cargo arriving at that terminal. PhilaPort also intends to leverage the facility to attract new ocean lines and other business to the port. Once operational, it is expected to create 200 to 300 jobs.

A second phase totaling 217,000 square feet could eventually be built that would incorporate refrigerated warehousing.
Read more here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...warehouse.html

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I'd rather see this project somewhere else than close to the Delaware waterfront. It's nice and all, but thinking of what if Bridgeman's View Tower, the Trump Tower, and the World Trade Square could've been, but all those projects bit the dust last decade.

Liberty on the River and the current Penn's Landing Redevelopment give me hope of high rise living nearby the Delaware waterfront. Not saying this is a bad project, but the city could've at least zoned the area for high-rises as opposed to what they're allowing to be built on Delaware Ave.
Different strokes for different folks. You want more Waterfront Square type development to appease your height boner.

I own property in both Northern Liberties and Fishtown. I want a functioning neighborhood that connects to the waterfront.

This is 1000% better than Bridgemans view and the World Trade Center. Also, can you stop waxing poetic about projects that were proposed in some cases decades ago and are literally completely irrelevant and were never economically feasible.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Different strokes for different folks. You want more Waterfront Square type development to appease your height boner.

I own property in both Northern Liberties and Fishtown. I want a functioning neighborhood that connects to the waterfront.

This is 1000% better than Bridgemans view and the World Trade Center. Also, can you stop waxing poetic about projects that were proposed in some cases decades ago and are literally completely irrelevant and were never economically feasible.
Love these two points. Proposals and renderings are fun and everything, and I myself have gotten caught up in their allure. But if the market isn't asking for height, or if the budgets/investments don't come in, it's irrelevant. If you saturate the area with enough of these projects, you bring more population and income to the area and eventually more density. I would say only once that density reaches a certain mass are you gonna get more dramatic towers. If you look at what is currently at 918 Delware Ave, this is a clear improvement.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&brown View Post
different strokes for different folks. You want more waterfront square type development to appease your height boner.

I own property in both northern liberties and fishtown. I want a functioning neighborhood that connects to the waterfront.

This is 1000% better than bridgemans view and the world trade center. Also, can you stop waxing poetic about projects that were proposed in some cases decades ago and are literally completely irrelevant and were never economically feasible.
+1

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
Love these two points. Proposals and renderings are fun and everything, and I myself have gotten caught up in their allure. But if the market isn't asking for height, or if the budgets/investments don't come in, it's irrelevant. If you saturate the area with enough of these projects, you bring more population and income to the area and eventually more density. I would say only once that density reaches a certain mass are you gonna get more dramatic towers. If you look at what is currently at 918 Delware Ave, this is a clear improvement.
And even more, what he doesn't understand is that in many cases, the developers NEVER had any intentions of building these projects. To the contrary, they paid for fancy renderings they had no intention of building to upzone the land to make it more valuable so that they could then flip it.

That makes it even more insulting. They knew the projects would never happened. Could never happen. But they juiced the value of the land then off loaded it. If by chance anyone bought the land based on the fake increased value, then if anything, it increased their cost basis and thus, the chances of said project even less likely to happen.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 3:14 AM

I'll keep saying it...build those University City buildings...Philly is ready to boom as a global biotech hub.

Century Therapeutics raises $160M to advance cell therapy development
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...l-therapy.html

WuXi Apptec completes $135M purchase of Oxgene
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...gene-gene.html

Nabriva Therapeutics plans to raise $25.4M through stock sale
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...tock-sale.html

Carisma Therapeutics closes $59M investment round
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...l-therapy.html

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 4:42 AM

Quote:
And even more, what he doesn't understand is that in many cases, the developers NEVER had any intentions of building these projects. To the contrary, they paid for fancy renderings they had no intention of building to upzone the land to make it more valuable so that they could then flip it.

That makes it even more insulting. They knew the projects would never happened. Could never happen. But they juiced the value of the land then off loaded it. If by chance anyone bought the land based on the fake increased value, then if anything, it increased their cost basis and thus, the chances of said project even less likely to happen.
The world trade center was a real laugher. I wish I could bring the specs up for it, and the developer turned tail and ran for the horizon as soon as the City said something reasonable like 'lets have a hearing about this'. There was some type of scare attempt saying that unless the work could the following week or something equally crazy, then the whole project would fall apart. What a surprise, the billions of dollars that sad sack project would have cost just disappeared on the tide, almost like it was never really here.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:47 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
The world trade center was a real laugher. I wish I could bring the specs up for it, and the developer turned tail and ran for the horizon as soon as the City said something reasonable like 'lets have a hearing about this'. There was some type of scare attempt saying that unless the work could the following week or something equally crazy, then the whole project would fall apart. What a surprise, the billions of dollars that sad sack project would have cost just disappeared on the tide, almost like it was never really here.
https://philly.curbed.com/maps/looki...t-bit-the-dust

Here you go. Here are all the failed proposals of the Waterfront and City

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 7:39 AM

Quote:
WFS is 3/5 complete and the develop never built the Horizon nor the Tides due to the 2008 recession. I'd love for WFS to be fully complete someday, as it seems like the economy is stable for such a project. Will it look the same, probably not, but it should complement the remaining towers.

Quote:
Don't we all!!!

Quote:
Yes, different strokes for different folks. It's unfortunate that all the riverfront projects were proposed around 2007-2008 before the 2008 recession and the reason why those projects were cancelled was because they were all residential projects and since the recession made it harder to secure mortgages with lower interest rates and borrowing money was the hardest during that time, it made no sense to build Bridgeman's View, Trump Tower, Mandeville, etc.

I liked the concept of World Trade Square, even though that project never got properly planned and it was on it's way to the heap of never built projects, Mandeville looked very cutting edge and if I had to choose one of those cancelled projects I'd love to bring back, it would probably be the Mandeville, and Bridgeman's View was a project which aspired to bring height to the Delaware Waterfront.

My biggest concern is will Philadelphia ever grow to 2 or even 3 million people? While Chicago and NYC are seeing a slowdown and in some cases a decline, Boston, DC, and SF are experiencing double digit growth, Atlanta and Miami are still booming, and even cities like Phoenix, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston are currently exploding in population as high rise commercial and residential projects in those cities are elevating those cities to new heights as well as increasing their densities.

The project I just displayed does connect to the waterfront, but I'd rather see it in another part of the city than at the waterfront. Sometimes I believe that the planning the city makes is a liability for the city in general as well as the near future. I wouldn't be surprised if the Philadelphia city limits, the MSA, and the CSA gets knocked out of the Top 10 in 10 to 20 years. Part of it is commutes from outlying areas (Lehigh Valley and Lancaster County), another part is population growth, and the final part is the local economy. There are boosters in every city and Philly is no exception but sometimes you have to stop drinking the Kool-Aid at every project and be critical at times if you want to improve. I wouldn't be surprised if this forum had a lot of Inga Saffrons and she's probably one of the worst architectural critics I've ever heard of.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 1:35 PM

Yes, Inga is terrible. She has a small loyal following that has convinced her that she is brilliant. And she is brilliant - at spending other people's money and practicing NIMBYism. Her writing makes you laugh, so it does have its entertainment value.

I wouldn't worry about metro area size. I would focus on desirabilty. As Philadelphia works its way back to its prior level of density, it is becoming a more and more desirable place to be. The Sun Belt Cities, so reliant on the car/highways/strip malls are going to choke themselves to death and be extremely undesirable. They are going to look at (smaller) cities such as Philadelphia and wish they had what we have.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Permits Issued For A 181-Unit Development At 1306-14 Callowhill Street

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/02/perm...nter-city.html
In spite of talk of this project moving forward (or maybe because of, considering the reliability of this article's source), this wasn't on my radar as one of the Callowhill-area proposals most likely to happen soon. Was pleasantly surprised when I walked by last night and saw the lot is closed, fence off, asphalt is ripped up, and heavy equipment is on site. Something is underway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development