HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9901  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:18 PM
pip's Avatar
pip pip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Why would you want to test yourself for Covid?
This summer Ill be travelling to Boston and going through crowded airports and planes. I will test to make sure I don't have COVID when I visit my parents not out of concern for myself but for my parents. Yes they have been vaccinated but they are in ill health and elderly, they can't get COVID.

But you know there are reasons and valid reasons to get tested, people have different situations, different health issues, and different personalities regardless. So why ask?
__________________
Only 4 years to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9902  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:23 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
But you know there are reasons and valid reasons to get tested, people have different situations, different health issues, and different personalities regardless. So why ask?
Normally I'd agree with you, but a small number of paranoid germaphobes have decided to make their fear about COVID everybody's business, and it's been going on for years now, even after an effective vaccine.

So yes, he and anybody else are within their right to wonder why healthy, vaccinated people keep testing themselves over and over for a virus that is effectively the glorified common cold at this point.

You (not you personally--figure of speech) made it our business. So now we wanna know why the hell mostly healthy and vaccinated folks keep testing themselves all day long and bumping up the case numbers everywhere
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9903  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:24 PM
twister244 twister244 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I don't think its an either/or thing?

My employer (both my department and the larger agency as a whole) is mostly on a hybrid system: Come to the office if/when you need to, but telecommute otherwise. Hell, my department downsized and moved to a smaller building last year to account for the increase in WFH.
Yep - I agree here.

I think for people that have an office to go to, and enjoy going in a few times a week, will go.

I still maintain my hypothesis that companies like WeWork stand to benefit in the long run from this. Give your employees a membership, and they just come into collaborate when they need. Instead of leasing an entire floor plate, you just rent conference rooms or offices when you need them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9904  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:28 PM
TWAK's Avatar
TWAK TWAK is online now
The Supreme Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lake County, CA
Posts: 10,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
This summer Ill be travelling to Boston and going through crowded airports and planes. I will test to make sure I don't have COVID when I visit my parents not out of concern for myself but for my parents. Yes they have been vaccinated but they are in ill health and elderly, they can't get COVID.

But you know there are reasons and valid reasons to get tested, people have different situations, different health issues, and different personalities regardless. So why ask?
They don't like the restrictions...
It's the same folks over and over whining about other people getting tests or wearing a mask.
__________________
nobody cares about your city
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9905  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:29 PM
pip's Avatar
pip pip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Normally I'd agree with you, but a small number of paranoid germaphobes have decided to make their fear about COVID everybody's business, and it's been going on for years now, even after an effective vaccine.

So yes, he and anybody else are within their right to wonder why healthy, vaccinated people keep testing themselves over and over for a virus that is effectively the glorified common cold at this point.

You (not you personally--figure of speech) made it our business. So now we wanna know why the hell mostly healthy and vaccinated folks keep testing themselves all day long and bumping up the case numbers everywhere
Whether people want to get tested is their business. Mind your own business and enjoy your own life. Like the mask debate, about 10+ people here will argue about this forever and ever. It's weird.
__________________
Only 4 years to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9906  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:36 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
This summer Ill be travelling to Boston and going through crowded airports and planes. I will test to make sure I don't have COVID when I visit my parents not out of concern for myself but for my parents. Yes they have been vaccinated but they are in ill health and elderly, they can't get COVID.

But you know there are reasons and valid reasons to get tested, people have different situations, different health issues, and different personalities regardless. So why ask?
It’s very unlikely that with an asymptomatic infection you would be shedding enough virus to endanger even your elderly parents. Viruses trigger things like coughing and sneezing for a reason - evolution has selected for this as a mechanism to spread themselves.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9907  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:39 PM
pip's Avatar
pip pip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
It’s very unlikely that with an asymptomatic infection you would be shedding enough virus to endanger even your elderly parents. Viruses trigger things like coughing and sneezing for a reason - evolution has selected for this as a mechanism to spread themselves.
I could see this argument if the loss were a toaster oven.

And also with people so fanatical against testing or anything COVID I am most certainly not going to take their medical advice
__________________
Only 4 years to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9908  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 9:12 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
I could see this argument if the loss were a toaster oven.

And also with people so fanatical against testing or anything COVID I am most certainly not going to take their medical advice
Yeah, go show em, be a rebel and test yourself for Covid!
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9909  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 9:14 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Whether people want to get tested is their business. Mind your own business and enjoy your own life. Like the mask debate, about 10+ people here will argue about this forever and ever. It's weird.
I am totally cool with that, but then using this logic:

No mask mandates anywhere public--it's MY business
No vaccination mandates--it's MY business

Let people decide what to do, and hope that they follow the most medically sound advice.
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9910  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 9:17 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is online now
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Riverview Estates Fairway (PA)
Posts: 40,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Why would you want to test yourself for Covid?
Just to have them at hand. I have a very big basement so they can be stored there so when the plague causes these things to jump to $20 a piece, I can save money that way. Hey!... ya never know. Get it now while its free.

Plus if I have a sniffle, quick test... badabing badaboom, if positive, I get 5 days off work paid. So no complaints. Even if no symptoms or feeling fine, but still positive, 5 days off sounds nice. They don't need to know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9911  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 9:23 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Just to have them at hand. I have a very big basement so they can be stored there so when the plague causes these things to jump to $20 a piece, I can save money that way. Hey!... ya never know. Get it now while its free.

Plus if I have a sniffle, quick test... badabing badaboom, if positive, I get 5 days off work paid. So no complaints. Even if no symptoms or feeling fine, but still positive, 5 days off sounds nice. They don't need to know.
Yeah, that's not how it works for me. If I test positive (which I never will because I don't test myself for foolish colds that I'm going to recover from) I don't get 5 "paid" days off. I get paid based on volume of work, not by day, so I would simply be losing income.

Of course, I follow common sense and stay home when I'm sick anyhow (remember when we used to do that?) so it's never been an issue--and it never will be.
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9912  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 10:29 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
wrong thread
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12

Last edited by the urban politician; May 18, 2022 at 11:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9913  
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 11:52 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is online now
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Riverview Estates Fairway (PA)
Posts: 40,689
Memorial Day weekend is coming up. Should skyrocket with that BA.2.12.1.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9914  
Old Posted May 19, 2022, 3:04 AM
pip's Avatar
pip pip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Yeah, go show em, be a rebel and test yourself for Covid!

Does it really piss you off that much I'm making sure I don't transmit COVID to my parents? Come on how is this even a human trait to make fun of people that want to protect their parents?
__________________
Only 4 years to go.

Last edited by pip; May 19, 2022 at 4:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9915  
Old Posted May 19, 2022, 8:26 AM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Yeah, that's not how it works for me. If I test positive (which I never will because I don't test myself for foolish colds that I'm going to recover from) I don't get 5 "paid" days off. I get paid based on volume of work, not by day, so I would simply be losing income.

Of course, I follow common sense and stay home when I'm sick anyhow (remember when we used to do that?) so it's never been an issue--and it never will be.
Unfortunately a big part of the acceptance of lockdowns/isolation is that a large segment of society thinks “cool, I can get paid to sit at home and watch TV”.

There was a funny meme that came out when the British government, in order to encourage people to get tested, offered them £300 (or something like that) for a positive test. The idea was allay fear of losing income, but the perverse incentives were obvious:




(it’s based on the “Stay Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives” slogan that they had)
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9916  
Old Posted May 19, 2022, 8:30 AM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Does it really piss you off that much I'm making sure I don't transmit COVID to my parents? Come on how is this even a human trait to make fun of people that want to protect their parents?
I did the same whenever I visited my mother in 2020. But that was before vaccines when it was really a pandemic.

The question I will always ask is, at what point do you intend to stop doing this? And note that “when there’s no Covid anymore” is not an acceptable answer (in this case the answer is actually “never”).

The dead horse that I keep beating is not about people’s individual risk tolerances. People can take whatever precautions they want, as long as they don’t expect others to change their behavior like a certain forumer. But the fact is that we are “there” with Covid, wherever there is, and that’s an objective point that we can debate rather than a personal choice that there is no point in debating.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9917  
Old Posted May 19, 2022, 11:46 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Yeah, not enough people around here are taking the long view. I figured it would be pretty obvious to people that there is potentially no end in sight to this paranoid behavior. But then, most people don’t really think things through.
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9918  
Old Posted May 19, 2022, 11:48 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Does it really piss you off that much I'm making sure I don't transmit COVID to my parents? Come on how is this even a human trait to make fun of people that want to protect their parents?
No, I don’t care what you do, I just demand that your fears be your fears.

I’m fed up with policy makers trying to turn your fears into my headaches.
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9919  
Old Posted May 19, 2022, 1:58 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I did the same whenever I visited my mother in 2020. But that was before vaccines when it was really a pandemic.

The question I will always ask is, at what point do you intend to stop doing this? And note that “when there’s no Covid anymore” is not an acceptable answer (in this case the answer is actually “never”).

The dead horse that I keep beating is not about people’s individual risk tolerances. People can take whatever precautions they want, as long as they don’t expect others to change their behavior like a certain forumer. But the fact is that we are “there” with Covid, wherever there is, and that’s an objective point that we can debate rather than a personal choice that there is no point in debating.
You're asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking is why isn't it as easy to test yourself for other contagious viruses as it is to test yourself for COVID? If I had a quick and easy way to test myself for the flu or common cold virus before I went and infected a bunch of other people, I would do that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9920  
Old Posted May 19, 2022, 9:31 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
You're asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking is why isn't it as easy to test yourself for other contagious viruses as it is to test yourself for COVID? If I had a quick and easy way to test myself for the flu or common cold virus before I went and infected a bunch of other people, I would do that.
This would cost money (regardless of whether it was out of pocket, or part of your tax burden or insurance premium), and that cost would be unjustified and wasteful.

We actually don’t need to know whether people are asymptomatic carriers of mild diseases, and the whole testing program is at this point simply a profit driver for diagnostics providers.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:08 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.