HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9861  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:06 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
It stokes unnecessary fear.
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9862  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:47 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
How is it incompatible?
If you are telling people that the level of danger from Covid is increasing and that they should wear masks, you can not simultaneously tell them to engage in the most unnecessary and undesirable indoor activity they can do. Nor can companies insist on employees coming back to the office when said employees can respond that the city is saying the Covid risk is high enough to require masks.

There’s a reason that offices are the last thing that should open when Covid is over. If you have a desk job, you can work from home better than you can replicate any other human activity from home, and all of those other things are ones that people actually want to do.

Back in 2020 there were some ideas otherwise, but I was pretty blunt telling the partners at my firm (80% or whom were in their 60s or 70s) that absolutely no one is coming back to the office when the government still says they can’t go to a restaurant, bar or gym. And I was right of course.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9863  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 5:04 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
If you are telling people that the level of danger from Covid is increasing and that they should wear masks, you can not simultaneously tell them to engage in the most unnecessary and undesirable indoor activity they can do. Nor can companies insist on employees coming back to the office when said employees can respond that the city is saying the Covid risk is high enough to require masks.

There’s a reason that offices are the last thing that should open when Covid is over. If you have a desk job, you can work from home better than you can replicate any other human activity from home, and all of those other things are ones that people actually want to do.

Back in 2020 there were some ideas otherwise, but I was pretty blunt telling the partners at my firm (80% or whom were in their 60s or 70s) that absolutely no one is coming back to the office when the government still says they can’t go to a restaurant, bar or gym. And I was right of course.
That's quite a leap from the public health agency sending out a recommendation to being incompatible with returning to the office. That's like saying a recommendation to wear a condom is incompatible with sex.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9864  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 5:04 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 33,839
Plus, if we're to get back to normal, elevated cases are inevitable. We can't flip out and yearn for masks every time stats trend a certain way. This Eric Adams is just asking to be a one-termer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9865  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 5:07 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Plus, if we're to get back to normal, elevated cases are inevitable. We can't flip out and yearn for masks every time stats trend a certain way. This Eric Adams is just asking to be a one-termer.
C'mon lol. This is ridiculous. First, Eric Adams shouldn't dictate what recommendations the public health agencies advise. That's how we got into this mess in the first place. Second, it's an advisory, it's not a mandate. I'm sitting in an office right now with no mask and I'm surrounded by people not wearing masks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9866  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 5:13 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 33,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
C'mon lol. This is ridiculous. First, Eric Adams shouldn't dictate what recommendations the public health agencies advise. That's how we got into this mess in the first place. Second, it's an advisory, it's not a mandate. I'm sitting in an office right now with no mask and I'm surrounded by people not wearing masks.
Public health doesn't set policy or mandates, the city does and if he's expecting blow back, he should get in front of it and say masks are optional. Many people in 'blue' cities are wondering if/ when their leaders will drag this shit on. .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9867  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 5:28 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Public health doesn't set policy or mandates, the city does and if he's expecting blow back, he should get in front of it and say masks are optional. Many people in 'blue' cities are wondering if/ when their leaders will drag this shit on. .
He doesn't need to say anything lol. The NYC public health agency issues advisories all the time about everything. Nobody is confusing this with a mandate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9868  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 5:39 PM
jd3189 jd3189 is offline
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loma Linda, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 5,253
Public health departments should set mandates and policy concerning public health issues, which COVID-19 is.

As for working from home, when you realize that people often waste as much time in the office as they would in their own home, there isn't a strong argument to get people into the office to "increase productivity". Now, if you work in hospitality, retail, healthcare, etc, in which being around people is a fundamental part of the job, yeah, you kinda can't do that at home.
__________________
Entering the Age of Aquarius
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9869  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 6:03 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 33,839
^ don't forget isolated alone in your house all day isn't exactly healthy either. I and most of my coworkers are looking forward to RTO. My cats will miss me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
He doesn't need to say anything lol. The NYC public health agency issues advisories all the time about everything. Nobody is confusing this with a mandate.
Because it's political and has been five minutes after this all started. If masks went off as soon as mandates were lifted, that means people absolutely have had enough. Every time a health department makes an advisement, the public then looks to the government about what restrictions might be handed down. It's why everyone was in a rush to drop them well ahead of the midterms. Because politics.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9870  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 6:06 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Plus, if we're to get back to normal, elevated cases are inevitable. We can't flip out and yearn for masks every time stats trend a certain way.
^ This.

People don't understand this basic concept. Particularly one major political party
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9871  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 6:08 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
If masks went off as soon as mandates were lifted, that means people absolutely have had enough.
^ I hear that when airports in Chicago ended the indoor mask mandate, people on airplanes and in the airports applauded.

You bet people hate it. This kind of "mandating" is very unpopular.
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9872  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 6:10 PM
TWAK's Avatar
TWAK TWAK is offline
The Supreme Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lake County, CA
Posts: 10,218
^Unpopular for a specific amount of forumers that can be easily listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
He doesn't need to say anything lol. The NYC public health agency issues advisories all the time about everything. Nobody is confusing this with a mandate.
People from other states are furious at NYC, so I guess they won't be voting for Adams in a few years. Oh wait, they wouldn't be anyway .
Maskaphobes gonna phobe and I thought no politics in here?
__________________
nobody cares about your city
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9873  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 6:22 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
That's quite a leap from the public health agency sending out a recommendation to being incompatible with returning to the office. That's like saying a recommendation to wear a condom is incompatible with sex.
… if sex was something that most people wanted no part of, but were being forced into by their employer, and then public health authorities said that it wasn’t safe without a condom.

Employees don’t want to go back to the office. They can point to this and refuse to do so, and their employers can’t do shit. That will 100% be the advice of their legal counsel to HR as well.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9874  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 6:49 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
… if sex was something that most people wanted no part of, but were being forced into by their employer, and then public health authorities said that it wasn’t safe without a condom.

Employees don’t want to go back to the office. They can point to this and refuse to do so, and their employers can’t do shit. That will 100% be the advice of their legal counsel to HR as well.
If employers want their employees in the office then they'll just tell them to be there. Plenty of employers have done so throughout the pandemic. A mask advisory has nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9875  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 6:55 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
If employers want their employees in the office then they'll just tell them to be there. Plenty of employers have done so throughout the pandemic. A mask advisory has nothing to do with it.
Except that no, this isn’t the case. At least certainly not for white collar professionals in Manhattan. This is why all the banks pushed back their “back to office” dates 14 times.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9876  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 6:58 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
People from other states are furious at NYC, so I guess they won't be voting for Adams in a few years. Oh wait, they wouldn't be anyway .
Maskaphobes gonna phobe and I thought no politics in here?
Yeah, seriously lol. Also, the only mask mandates that NYC has been under for most of the pandemic have come from the state anyway. The only current mask mandates, mostly for public transit, are state mandates.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9877  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 7:01 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Except that no, this isn’t the case. At least certainly not for white collar professionals in Manhattan. This is why all the banks pushed back their “back to office” dates 14 times.
Hi, white collar worker in Manhattan speaking here. The only reason people are continuing to work from home is because their employers allow them to. No other reason. If the employer said everybody needs to return then they'd go back in tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9878  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 7:07 PM
jd3189 jd3189 is offline
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loma Linda, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 5,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
^ don't forget isolated alone in your house all day isn't exactly healthy either. I and most of my coworkers are looking forward to RTO. My cats will miss me though.

That's true, I should have clarified that. If I were to work at home, I would still be out and about. I have a friend who works in tech and he can work at home, in his car, in a coffee shop, at WeWork, etc. Better than just being in one place, which would sorta be required if he had to go in to work to be supervised.
__________________
Entering the Age of Aquarius
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9879  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 7:35 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Hi, white collar worker in Manhattan speaking here. The only reason people are continuing to work from home is because their employers allow them to. No other reason. If the employer said everybody needs to return then they'd go back in tomorrow.
But they won’t and can’t do that, and this new recommendation further weakens their hand in doing so.

Nor can they really compel anyone. They can threaten to fire them but then they would be sued, and quite possibly lose.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9880  
Old Posted May 17, 2022, 7:39 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Nor can they really compel anyone. They can threaten to fire them but then they would be sued, and quite possibly lose.
Yes, they can. No, they would not lose.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:26 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.