HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

credit: siniaevart
for the love of god someone please tell me the glass will be that same golden color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Sure, it would be nice if this became the highest-to-roof tower in the city, but the height (remember, it's going to be a good 20 meters or so taller than 1WTC) combined with the bulk is going to make a tremendous impact on the skyline...to roof it's almost 40 meters taller than One Vanderbilt, and look at how pleased everyone is with that!) If materials quality is as it appears to be in renderings, this building will become an absolute NYC icon the moment it opens.

And remember, not only do we get a skyline redefining building, but we get a vastly improved street-level experience too. Gone is the dark and dreary monolith, replaced by a bright and airy monument.

Not to mention, it was originally going to be a 1,200 ft or so building. These early plans put it at about 1,250 ft.

Or this puppy.....

Then we look back at what some of the projected potential development sites were, and 270 wasn't among them. So, we're doing pretty, pretty good here.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:25 PM
Not far from Disneyland

Quote:

But Tower Fifth, ughghgh, what a terrible way to ruin a good rendering by seeing Tower Fifth.
I actually like Tower Fifth more looking at this image. The difference between the three new Big Boys is actually quite mice to me.

Regardless, this tower is impressive! This says NYC 2020 to me. An embracing of the old era with a modern twist. Gothic and modern at the same time.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: siniaevart

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Spectacular!!!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 11:14 PM
Crane Goddess

I am SO glad they didn't go with this puke-worthy design:
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 1:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESysyn View Post
for the love of god someone please tell me the glass will be that same golden color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it might be the refraction of light but I don't think the glass is that golden color.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Now this is nice. The current tower can't come down fast enough. I'm ready to watch this rise. And the sister building (350) needs to come with it.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I am SO glad they didn't go with this puke-worthy design:
https://a4.pbase.com/o12/06/102706/1...h3NT32A.c7.JPG
There's no telling how many bullets we dodged with this one.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 5:15 PM
Meh

Quote:

This is beautiful.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 5:38 PM
BANNED

What's the tall building in the upper right-hand corner?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 5:45 PM

It looks like 30 Rock, which makes no sense.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 5:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Thanks. That's a good point. I see the Channel Gardens.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:11 PM

What are the odds that Dimon & Co. said no to this design, and Norm is back to the drawing board? I like it but am not overly excited by it. You can tell some of the photos of the models were taken at 383 Madison as 270 can be glimpsed in the the background.

And to those wishing for a big Chase logo in the crown, NYC does not allow branding on the tops of skyscrapers. PanAm/Metlife was the last big building to be built before the laws were enacted. All structures with branding are currently grandfathered. I'm not sure if there are ways around it, i.e., placing the logo within the crown as opposed to the facade.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parzival718 View Post
And to those wishing for a big Chase logo in the crown, NYC does not allow branding on the tops of skyscrapers. PanAm/Metlife was the last big building to be built before the laws were enacted. All structures with branding are currently grandfathered. I'm not sure if there are ways around it, i.e., placing the logo within the crown as opposed to the facade.
What about the huge Comcast sign on 30 Rockefeller

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
What about the huge Comcast sign on 30 Rockefeller
There are Exceptions "In June 2014, Comcast was granted permission to make modifications to the building to reflect its ownership of NBCUniversal. ". The Comcast logos essentially replaced the old GE logos.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 7:51 PM
Show me the blueprints

I hate that stupid Comcast sign. Not because I don't like big signs but because it would look so much cooler if it was just a giant NBC peacock with animation.

=

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 7:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
What's the tall building in the upper right-hand corner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

That's just the angle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parzival718 View Post
What are the odds that Dimon & Co. said no to this design, and Norm is back to the drawing board? I like it but am not overly excited by it. You can tell some of the photos of the models were taken at 383 Madison as 270 can be glimpsed in the the background.

And to those wishing for a big Chase logo in the crown, NYC does not allow branding on the tops of skyscrapers.

383 Madison is considered the headquarters these days. I've noticed there is some work going on there also. As for this design, I'm sure they got everything they wanted and more, as they were able to shift more bulk to the lower floors, accomodate whatever problems there may have been with the trainshed below, keep the setbacks for enclosed sky-gardens, and provide the mandated public plaza. As for the logo, we don't need that. A nicely lit crown is perfect for the skyline, and this tower.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:19 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I hate that stupid Comcast sign. Not because I don't like big signs but because it would look so much cooler if it was just a giant NBC peacock with animation.
I like the idea of more dynamic signs. So long as they're well done.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's just the angle...

383 Madison is considered the headquarters these days. I've noticed there is some work going on there also. As for this design, I'm sure they got everything they wanted and more, as they were able to shift more bulk to the lower floors, accommodate whatever problems there may have been with the trainshed below, keep the setbacks for enclosed sky-gardens, and provide the mandated public plaza. As for the logo, we don't need that. A nicely lit crown is perfect for the skyline, and this tower.
I too have seen stuff going on in the area, sometimes you can see activity through the subway grates that I assume are part of the foundation work noted in some of the permit filings. I also know that there were extensive renovations done on the upper floors of 383 to create suitable executive spaces in what was the penthouse Pierpont Center but those were completed before the demo started. Probably just normal building improvements.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 9:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, I'm not even sure how long the sidewalk shed has been up at 383. I know they also had plans for the public space there. Also in the vicinity, on the 48th St side for example, you can see ongoing work with the roof of the trainshed, and there's also ongoing work at the new LIRR terminal that's underground. That will be another gamechanger for that area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction