HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 1:08 AM

Regarding the art display at Ralph Klein park: I don’t like it, I think it’s garbage, but that’s only my opinion I can see how some people might like it. Art is different to everybody. I would like to see something more creative than that, but having tried to make art myself I do know that it’s not easy.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 1:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
Those pics don't change anything. The pics do look nice, but if you take the art installation out of the pics they as good, if not better. It's not the rusted girders that look good, it's the surroundings, it's still a ridiculous piece of work.
The art installation is not just the steel. Your mention of the surroundings being good is actually acknowledging elements that are part of the art.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Where do you get your 95% figure from? The same place Trump gets his massive approval ratings? Just because you think one way doesn't mean everyone else does too.
95% is probably an exaggeration but I remember when it came out it was under fire, just like some of the other installations. This particular piece of art has been mentioned along with the other recent failures as examples of why it needs to be changed.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 2:12 AM
No man's land

I absolutely love all of this subjectively terrible art just for the fact of the great reading all of you plebs makes for. Every nickle well spent.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
The art installation is not just the steel. Your mention of the surroundings being good is actually acknowledging elements that are part of the art.
I was mainly talking about the sky and the pond. Not exactly public art.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:21 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
To get rid of it without destroying it, maybe it could be relocated to the Town of Cockring and become a recognizable symbol for the town, the same way, say, that big arch serves as symbol for St. Louis?
Now that I can support!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:28 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
I absolutely love all of this subjectively terrible art just for the fact of the great reading all of you plebs makes for. Every nickle well spent.
“My kid could do better!”

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:35 AM
No man's land

Quote:
“My kid could do better!”
Mine too! Let's get them together. Imagine the great rings and sticks that duo could achieve!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:37 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
Regarding the art display at Ralph Klein park: I don’t like it, I think it’s garbage, but that’s only my opinion I can see how some people might like it. Art is different to everybody. I would like to see something more creative than that, but having tried to make art myself I do know that it’s not easy.
It’s funny so many people hate it so much. It is genuinely one of my favourite public art pieces in the city. if I was just going off of pictures from the internet I would probably not care for it. In person it’s really special though. It is one of those rare public art pieces that actually resonates with me on a deep level I can’t explain. That’s why public art is important. You may not like all of it but different people will. It creates a sense of place and a landmark.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:38 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
Mine too! Let's get them together. Imagine the great rings and sticks that duo could achieve!
Time’s a wastin’! Let’s put those kids to work and cash in!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:54 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Budging on In

I do have a liking those Sentinel towers at Ralph Klein Park. Just by the images on this thread, they look pretty interesting. I can see how someone might think it's a waste of money from the freeway, but by the view from within the park, it's clear that the artwork itself isn't necessarily a waste of money. The subjectivity of the art itself is clear, as is the question of "is it really worth spending money on this?" as shown in the last few pages on this thread, but for people like me and O-tacular, there's something about this art that makes us drawn to like it.
Maybe it's the primary qualities (shape, size, weight) , which could delve into a philosopher's ideas which I wont discuss because I'll bore you people to death. Or it could just be something which we're drawn to from a previous memory or idea.....either way, you can argue really that any artwork produced in Calgary will draw some form of understand and appreciation from someone.....even a thing like the blue hoola hoop light.

Personally, I like the public art program in Calgary, it really adds a lot to the city and surrounding areas, and creates landmarks which can help people find their way in the city or perhaps inspire them in some fashion.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 6:02 AM
That's what she said

Quote:
It’s funny you say the left wingers are all gone but the ones you listed (me, boris and geotag) all still post here. You are correct though in that many other left leaning forumers are gone. Wooster and Bigtime are two big losses. Furry not so much. Also I wouldn’t count myself as a hard left winger as I have voted Conservative and Liberal both (though I am not apt to vote for either next election).
I didn't phrase my point too well, because you're right, there are solid left wingers still here.
I'm not pretending to be a psychologist or anything, but it appears that the people who were generally focused more on the development and construction side were also the ones that were kinda middle of the road politically, and those are the ones who have left.

Those still left on this site seem to be either solidly left or solidly right, and will quickly discuss and debate any topic. I don't believe those people come here for development and construction updates, they come for the discussion and debate.
If development was what they were interested in, they would have left to SRC a long time ago. From a purely construction development aspect, it's 1000 times better than this site. They could replace the construction thread here with a link to SRC, and it would work wonderfully. This site has more threads about various other topics though. Topics that will keep the solid lefties and righties in discussion for a long time.

It's not meant to be a slight against any particular person (left wing or right wing) only an observation on the change in SSP over the last year or so.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 6:55 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post
I didn't phrase my point too well, because you're right, there are solid left wingers still here.
I'm not pretending to be a psychologist or anything, but it appears that the people who were generally focused more on the development and construction side were also the ones that were kinda middle of the road politically, and those are the ones who have left.

Those still left on this site seem to be either solidly left or solidly right, and will quickly discuss and debate any topic. I don't believe those people come here for development and construction updates, they come for the discussion and debate.
If development was what they were interested in, they would have left to SRC a long time ago. From a purely construction development aspect, it's 1000 times better than this site. They could replace the construction thread here with a link to SRC, and it would work wonderfully. This site has more threads about various other topics though. Topics that will keep the solid lefties and righties in discussion for a long time.

It's not meant to be a slight against any particular person (left wing or right wing) only an observation on the change in SSP over the last year or so.
Interesting perspective. You might be on to something.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 8:10 PM

You are 100% bang on. These days the forum is mostly people on one end of each spectrum, and those people are the typical contributors, but like a good debate. Those who were interested in development/construction/architecture were also the main contribtors, and they are all at skyrise, thus why this thread is devoid of those topics, but still full of raging debates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 9:39 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Hey guys, I cut this topic from the Calgary Construction thread because I felt it was consuming the thread a bit too much. That said, some comments specific to the topic (non-mod talk):

Placement is a big issue that is a problem in both Edmonton and Calgary. Talus Dome and Blue Ring are obnoxious examples of putting art where interaction is least desired. But defining that line of where it becomes obnoxious and not-obnoxious is tricky. I am reminded of the flower beds along Whitemud that I remember seeing in the 90s. I enjoyed them.

The second problem is proportions. Talus Dome is dwarfed inside the Quesnel interchange, especially as it is perched atop a pond (which is itself very nice). The Blue Ring is only the height of a lamp post and in fact, it's top gives way to become a lamp post itself. The interaction to both is only for an instant and only stands to irritate most of those who are forced to interact with it as they drive by. This is different from the Flower Beds who were big enough to have their designs be interpreted and sometimes read (as I seem to remember that these flower beds were used for messaging.)

As for art styles, there are lots of art styles out there. Not everyone will be a fan of all of them. Some like (love) classic sculptures where the focus is on recognising the subject while others like post-minimalist sculptures where the focus is on interaction. I think a good discussion can be had on whether one is contextually preferred over the others.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 10:09 PM
Fake News

Talus Dome is really cool. Never heard of if before but after googling it I am impressed. I agree freeways aren’t the best locations for art pieces in general though.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 12:24 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I disagree in that freeways can be potential great pieces. The problem seems to stem from pieces that demand physical interaction being placed where that interaction cannot be had. Visual recognition pieces that can be appreciated from a distance are necessary. Hence the flower beds on Whitemud being a good example of placing art on a freeway. The pond below the Talus Dome is another example.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I disagree in that freeways can be potential great pieces. The problem seems to stem from pieces that demand physical interaction being placed where that interaction cannot be had. Visual recognition pieces that can be appreciated from a distance are necessary. Hence the flower beds on Whitemud being a good example of placing art on a freeway. The pond below the Talus Dome is another example.
What about parks? I'm talking about putting parks under freeway bridges, integrate them into interchanges, etc. Chicano Park in San Diego would be an example.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Talus Dome is really cool. Never heard of if before but after googling it I am impressed. I agree freeways aren’t the best locations for art pieces in general though.
I quite like Talus Dome as well. There is something ethereal and unworldly about it. It plays well with Edmonton's four season landscapes, especially surrounded by green and surrounded by white snow. It makes the landscape look positively alien.

Combined with the name of the project itself, it actually brought to mind the famous Blade Runner quote:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Personally I think freeway art projects are a nice touch for car dependant cities like Edmonton and Calgary. Dotting the monotonous freeway landscapes with interesting visual cues IMO helps to raise the quality of our urban fabric even on the freeway. I think in that context, the blue ring, the bowfort towers, and even the sentinels to some extent serve that purpose.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 4:38 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
What about parks? I'm talking about putting parks under freeway bridges, integrate them into interchanges, etc. Chicano Park in San Diego would be an example.
My comment is only limited to works of art where the only means of interaction is to zip by it. Parks can work provided that there are connections to it and such. Then any such public art put there could be primarily enjoyed by those strolling through it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues