HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Love it 66 56.90%
Like it 43 37.07%
List it 7 6.03%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 2:14 AM
Fake News

I voted like it as it's different and the crown could be cool. Overall it doesn't wow me like the Eau Claire redevelopment or Telus Sky, but it's interesting. I don't think it will end up like Nuera as it doesn't look like the crown is mechanical and it seems to have amenities in it. A cool idea to have common amenities on the top like Sky and Mark.

I don't understand if the Riff-like corridor is indoors or outdoors based on the rendering. It looks like there's glass walls segregating it from the street but no roof.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 2:39 AM

Difficult to assess from the renderings, but I think I like it. I have a soft spot for angular, 80's style designs. The developer is taking a huge risk by bringing such a large number of rental units to market. The location is more suited to office development, being along the railway line.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 7:37 AM

Doug: In the US a few smaller cities than Calgary are building a lot of rentals also.... I wouldn't worry too much! Can always convert to condo's later on if needed.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 7:38 AM

Otacular: These would wow you I'll bet if one of the towers was 240 meters!! YES!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 2:32 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Otacular: These would wow you I'll bet if one of the towers was 240 meters!! YES!
I think that would only make a development better for you Tallbob.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 6:33 AM

^^ Won't lie to you about that!! ^^

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Difficult to assess from the renderings, but I think I like it. I have a soft spot for angular, 80's style designs. The developer is taking a huge risk by bringing such a large number of rental units to market. The location is more suited to office development, being along the railway line.
risk? If they listed all those units this morning they'd be all gone by tonight. You must be underestimating the demand of living in the core right now. People have really hit their limit with Calgary traffic and world beating parking rates. Not only are new people coming to Calgary looking at living near where they work (majority in downtown) and many that already live here are looking to sell in the burbs and move in downtown. This shift is causing a huge pressure on anything livable within the inner city. Even if they're not all filled right away, more rentals will free up condos purchased by investors for rental purposes. So in the end, more rentals just help bring us to a more balanced market which is beneficial for everyone.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 2:59 PM

^^ I'll agree with that. Extremely unafordible in the city! ^^

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 7:55 PM

I think it's pretty decent, but I can never really tell by the renderings vs final products.

Kind of like comparing the bow renderings to what it's actually like... the street-scape leaves a lot to be desired for me although I like the building itself. Renderings always show foliage, with a bunch of people sitting down or standing around chatting where in reality there's usually just people walking or homeless people sleeping.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 4:07 AM

Love it! Very interesting podium, maybe an extension of the skate park LOL!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:57 AM

Figure I'll bump this thread given that this is going to CPC next week

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...4-0946-web.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Skimmed all 91 pages, couldn't find which tower is slated for phase 1. Anyone else notice? I'll keep lookin.

Edit: The letter from the Development Circulation Controller at the end of the PDF is really good. It looks like this thing will be approved for sure if they made the appropriate changes to the massing along 9 Ave.
Page 28 of the pdf names the towers A, B, C from tallest to shortest. It would make sense to phase this way, 3rd phase being the shorter one offset to the north (with a separate podium?)

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:59 AM
ARTchitecture

Awesome! Thanks for the info. A 150 meter residential tower possibly starting soon? I think I might faint.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:18 AM

The more I look at these towers the more I like them. It will be a huge improvement as a bookend tower for the West End. Amazing that this could be starting so soon.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:43 AM

Looks like they intend to run a little street/alleyway around the existing building on NW corner, and a semi-covered alleyway between the two podiums (north tower and south towers).

Source for all http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...4-0946-web.pdf

Wouldn't surprise me if they drop phase 3 and the covering over the alley, seems a bit far-fetched...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if they drop phase 3 and the covering over the alley, seems a bit far-fetched...
NORR does seem to shoot for the moon with some of their early designs/renderings (see 3 Eau Claire). I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes as well.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 2:53 AM

I don't say this often, but this project is almost perfect. Except for one thing...

The side facing 9th ave needs to be improved. I seriously hope that its not some giant concrete wall for the entire block.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:25 AM
Looking Up

This looks like the lot across from Metro Ford... I thought there as another project slated for that lot, as well?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:35 AM

^ yup, separate project, not sure what its status is

Quote:
MARIO TONEGUZZI, CALGARY HERALD MAY 1, 2014

CALGARY - The west-end gateway to downtown Calgary along 9th Avenue will undergo a massive transformation in the years to come as two major residential projects are planned to revitalize the area.

The Herald has learned that the WAM Development Group is in the initial stages of planning and development for a huge residential condo project, on the site of the current home of the Metro Ford dealership, which will include 1,800 luxury residential suites in four towers located above 150,000 square feet of grade-related retail uses.

[...]

West Village Towers is another residential condo tower development planned nearby by Wexford Development Corporation and Cidex Developments, which will include three towers, totalling 575 units with 90,000 square feet of ground floor retail and second level office space, according to Wexford’s website.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...883/story.html

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:45 AM
ARTchitecture

Wow, these two developments are going to bring like 3 000 people to the west end! On top of the ~1 000 being brought by the Avenue and Vogue projects.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:47 AM

Given all the activity in this area of town, I have always thought that if the Armorey were decommissioned, that it would make a fabulous podium to a residential and/or hotel tower!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates