HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 6:45 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
The DP states that the materials above grade are alternating EIFS (synthetic stucco) and curtain wall glazing.
To bad, was hoping for at least some brick on the podium

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 6:48 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
To bad, was hoping for at least some brick on the podium
Oh, sorry, I should clarify. In the DP they are using "above grade" to refer to the area above the podium. The podium is dark brick and white EIFS.

I guess I should put this question to you guys. Anyone experienced problems with EIFS with regards to cracks or moisture? I'm a prospective buyer and that kind of information may influence my decision to purchase.

Flickr

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 6:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
As long as they stick with non-primary colors we're good, the lego orange brick/stucco on a few developments from the last boom and the mustard and ketchup ones from this one are making me wonder if we need to require developers to submit proof of a colour blindness test with all DP's

Edit: 1,500th post, better get back to work now...
Makes me wonder if some developers get discounts on odd coloured material, similar to the ugly coloured/styled clothing that's almost always on the sales racks. Not much else can explain it.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:53 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Oh, sorry, I should clarify. In the DP they are using "above grade" to refer to the area above the podium. The podium is dark brick and white EIFS.

I guess I should put this question to you guys. Anyone experienced problems with EIFS with regards to cracks or moisture? I'm a prospective buyer and that kind of information may influence my decision to purchase.
Ah! That's good to hear.

I'm not 100% sold on the whole EIFS thing, seems like it might come back to bite some buildings in 5-10 years. Really depends on the manufacturer and the installer though.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:54 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Makes me wonder if some developers get discounts on odd coloured material, similar to the ugly coloured/styled clothing that's almost always on the sales racks. Not much else can explain it.
That's an interesting thought, are we getting discount bin architecture?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 10:59 PM
Here and There

I dont think the issue will be that black and while, though I do see your concern and share it. New bohemian areas will constantly evolve and relocate just as long as the city does not steam roll all of them........There has to be gradual re-development or yes, certain areas will get the charm sucked out of them. That said, many chain stores open in the inner city and close right away and make room for new small businesses.......so the effect can go both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
I ate at the Lido once, it was typical cheap café grub. Bacon and eggs, fairly average burgers and fries with bulk gravy, ect... There used to be heaps of little restaurants like it, there are few left.

I agree with the buildings not having historical relevance enough to call for their preservation, but you need to be careful when redeveloping in an area like Kensington. Those little eclectic single story brick buildings with quirky art shops, skateboard stores, used record shops, non-chain coffee houses, comic book stores, art house theater, bead store for making cheap jewelry, ect... Those are what "made" Kensington what it is today, and that is slowly being eroded away and pushed out of the area.

You might not mind the changes, you might like what that area becomes, but it will no longer be the "Kensington" of old that initially made that area of the city such an interesting place to window shop and spend an afternoon. It was special because it was different and because it's cheap little single story buildings allowed for cheap little cool stores to exist along that walk. It will all eventually be replaced by Starbucks, Original Joes, Bernard Callebaut, Wok Box, and sterile 4 story condo complexes with ground floor retail full of the usual stuff you can see in any given area of the city.

I see the same thing just starting to happen in Inglewood along 9th ave as well. We are slowly losing all of the antique shops, we will likely eventually lose Recordland, we will see large restaurant/pub chains move in and they will start to force all of the cool unique aspects of that area out.

Cool areas of the city like Kensington definitely deserve some redevelopment and to capitalize on their popularity, but be very careful that attempting to do so does not destroy most of what you are trying to capitalize on...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 2:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's an interesting thought, are we getting discount bin architecture?
It's real bad when developers charge top dollar then cheap out with discount bin materials!

Are the WAM towers on 10th ave to be rentals? There's orange construction signange up at site(ledcor the gc), and site prep looks to be happening. Never thought we'd see this many rental projects at once.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 3:30 PM

Quote:
It's real bad when developers charge top dollar then cheap out with discount bin materials!

Are the WAM towers on 10th ave to be rentals? There's orange construction signange up at site(ledcor the gc), and site prep looks to be happening. Never thought we'd see this many rental projects at once.
It would be great to see this progress quickly. Anyone know where they are at with their permits?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:

Wait they're doing site prep at the WAM site??

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
Wait they're doing site prep at the WAM site??
They've been doing some clean. Theres probably some work they can do under the previous development permit but not too much yet. I haven't seen a new application for the site yet either.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:25 PM

Ah fair enough, sounds similar to what has gone on at Karma .. Hope this means they intend to start construction as soon as the permits are release

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 6:52 PM
BANNED

Yeah, looks a lot like the Karma site. If these are rental, we could see a couple cranes up here real soon.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Get ready for ground breaking...in 2018!

Quote:
The #condo #king @BradJLamb speaking about our latest venture #theorchard in #calgary @FortressRDI @FDSBroker pic.twitter.com/MmVXBNi2QK
https://twitter.com/juliebarnard_/st...216576/photo/1

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 8:08 PM
not a NIMBY

Mark only has 10 units left for sale. 264 units sold.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Mark only has 10 units left for sale. 264 units sold.
They better open their Park Point presentation centre soon. Believe it's going to be opening on 11th ave around 6th street sw

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:07 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
They better open their Park Point presentation centre soon. Believe it's going to be opening on 11th ave around 6th street sw
Back where the Calla one was?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Back where the Calla one was?
Yep, same space as the Calla one was. Signage is all up there for it. Don't think it will be long before it opens.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:50 AM
BANNED

Oh yeah, forgot they had their Calla sales centre there too. I hope they build the underground for both towers at once even if they phase it. Might even be a chance they launch and build both at once.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:25 PM

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with EIFS so long as the contractor installing it does a quality job just like any other trade. The bricky's can screw up a job almost as easily as the EIFS contractors. I've seen it happen. It all depends on how the substrate is protected. Did they use a rainscreen system or didn't they? How does the moisture escape the system? Were the windows sealed properly? All good questions to ask when purchasing though the sales people probably won't have a clue what you're talking about. The windows are often the weak spots leading to water penetration. That said, standards and quality has gotten better. You'd be hard pressed to find a new building without some EIFS on it. It all depends on how much you want to pay for your property or suite. The more masonry and glazing the higher the cost.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 7:44 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamned View Post
There's nothing wrong with EIFS so long as the contractor installing it does a quality job just like any other trade. The bricky's can screw up a job almost as easily as the EIFS contractors. I've seen it happen. It all depends on how the substrate is protected. Did they use a rainscreen system or didn't they? How does the moisture escape the system? Were the windows sealed properly? All good questions to ask when purchasing though the sales people probably won't have a clue what you're talking about. The windows are often the weak spots leading to water penetration. That said, standards and quality has gotten better. You'd be hard pressed to find a new building without some EIFS on it. It all depends on how much you want to pay for your property or suite. The more masonry and glazing the higher the cost.
These are excellent questions. Thanks!

Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates